Police Dog use in TX

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SSwt00SS
the only person who has said anything about being 'plenty educated' has been you...

i did present a good argument. that argument was even after he refused concent to a search, they went ahead and did one. that was a violation of his 4th admendment rights. in your attempts to attack me and not the topic discussed, you have completely missed it. thank you.
did you even read my post? they didn't conduct an illegal search. it's even been investigated and the case closed. the only one making personal attacks here and skirting the topic is you
Old 12-08-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
That kid was acting shady, period. Any cop would have been suspicious of him, and he was flat out asking for a search. I disagree with an illegal search, but that didn't happen in that instance.
Its been awhile since I have been pulled over, but isnt the "Do you have any weapons or anything in the vehicle" question usually asked BEFORE the citation is handed over? I can remember that question being asked when the officer first approaches the window.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Launching!

Is there a rule saying they have to ask that first? I'm assuming it could have been an afterthought of his after the kid acted like a dipshit during the stop, which goes moreso to the point that the search wasn't his intention when he pulled him over, or that question would have been asked a lot sooner
Old 12-08-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Regular

Well the officer did make the comment that "he was watching me closely at the Race Trac" so suspicion entered his mind before the lights were turned on. My point was this: The citation was already issued, if he was concerned for his safety (as he stated) shouldnt he have said something before the kid was 2 seconds away from driving off?

And I never acted suspicious when I have been stopped and the officer asked me that. To me it seemed like it was a routine question.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Launching!

sometimes it can be a little routine. i've been asked before, but like you said it was right at the beginning of the stop. i'm sure he was a little suspicious to begin with, but after all that was said during the stop, maybe he was a little more suspicious.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

Considering all factors, his license report did come back as all clear.

Mental note, if the officer asks you to get out of your car... roll the window up.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DSIM

Mental note, if the officer asks you to get out of your car... roll the window up.
you can take your keys and lock your car as well. it's perfectly legal to do so...
Old 12-08-2008, 09:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did you even read my post? they didn't conduct an illegal search. it's even been investigated and the case closed. the only one making personal attacks here and skirting the topic is you
ive made no personal attacks. also, i never skirted on the topic either, so whatever man...

we agree to disagree...
Old 12-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Well as a fellow officer of the law here in Texas, I was hoping to be able to side with the officer on this one, but that is not the case. I am not going to sit here and Monday morning quarterback this whole stop because I think that would be unfair to the officer, due to him not being able to defend some of his actions. I also think that the kid was acting suspicious and defintely did see some criminal indicating behavior that we look for. We don't look for 1 or 2 things, it's an overall appearance of the situtation.

With all of that being said, I do know this: That dog did not alert and that was an unlawful search and seizure.

It is actions like this that eventually "Tie our hands up" on the side of the roadway.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSwt00SS
asking to search a vehicle because of an expired registration tag does not warrent asking for avehicle search. the owner of the vehicle said no and appeared to do nothing suggesting 'probable or suspicious' behavior...

AT NO POINT, should a K9 dog been used to search the vehicle after an owner has said "no" to a vehicle search. that is a direct violation of the owners 4th admendment rights. HAD something been found, it constitutes illegal search and seizure and would be dismissed if the case had gone to trial.
i agree. and as far as the dog finding the PC... we saw the kid eating food... for all we know, the kid just went to Sonic and had french fries on the seat. i defintley didnt see the dog 'going ape ****' before jumping in the car. the dog seemingly just jumped in without command from the officer (although our view was obscured at this point in the video). even IF the dog found PC and started barking, you'd think the officer would need to inform the victim of the situation... "the dog is acting in a way that leads us to believe there is probable cause to search, would you now give us permission to search, or we can have a warrant issued"

Originally Posted by BigZee71
But in anycase: You show respect for officers, no matter what the stuation, or who the officer thinks he is. I always stop in the closest safest spot possible, stop the car, window down, and both hands on top of the steering wheel. I think this has helped me out of more then a handfull of tickets, Ive heard the cops look for your hands first.
That routine has never gotten me out of a ticket. sometimes i feel it just tells the officer 'i've been pulled over enough to know how you want me to behave'

That kid was acting shady, period. Any cop would have been suspicious of him, and he was flat out asking for a search. I disagree with an illegal search, but that didn't happen in that instance.
the kid was being a bit snooty with his leaning on the car eating his ice cream, etc... but i woudlnt say he was shady in a way that would lead the officer to believe he was hiding something.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think some of you guys are missing the point here. Its not whether or not the cop had enough reasonable suspicion (step before PC) to bring the dog out. If you read the article you would know that its about the dog entering the vehicle on what was supposed to just be a walk around. The dog conducted the search inside the car for the officers w/o permission.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking that last night...
and to lock the doors, definately...
I haven't been pulled over in my car yet though... it seems like i only get pulled over when i drive the truck. lol
Old 12-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Launching!

i say lock your doors anyway if you think you might get arrested. tow truck drivers = theives
Old 12-08-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

****.. if i get arrested in my car, i'm calling someone to come get it.. Unless it got impounded or something.. i'm really not sure. Will they let someone pick it up?
Old 12-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Well since the thread is a little off-topic now, I will try to answer some of your questions. Legally when you are placed under arrest, the vehicle becomes property under the officer's responsibility. If anyone in my department places someone under arrest, our policy mandates that we do a full inventory of the car and ALL contents. We take possession of your keys and are allowed by law to document all possessions inside. We CANNOT by our policy leave your vehicle locked up on the side of the road due to liability issues. If it gets broken into, we are liable. If someone falls asleep and crashes into it, we are liable. Sometimes, depending on the circumstances, we will let some call and have the car picked up by a third party, but most of the time it gets towed.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bill12690
****.. if i get arrested in my car, i'm calling someone to come get it.. Unless it got impounded or something.. i'm really not sure. Will they let someone pick it up?
By the way, what does the tint measure on those side windows? LOL, Just giving you a hard time.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

Well ive been pulled over my share of times...and gotten warning for all but 1....i always am nice to the officer dont argue and usually they let me go...dont act like an *** as that only makes them feel they need show dominance...

by the way WstTexas...where in west texas are ya?
Old 12-08-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WstTexas
By the way, what does the tint measure on those side windows? LOL, Just giving you a hard time.
lol.. i thought about that when i posted that.. Next time i get pulled over, i'll probably be in my car and put the windows up, and i know as soon as i lock it the cop will look at me and say something about the windows. lmao
Old 12-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

Cops have "trigger" words for there dogs. Just like some people can say sick em or sit or shake to there dogs. They can say a certain word to there dog to make it look like it found something. I cant remember the name of the guy but he was a ex state trooper and made a dvd on how to never get caught and he explains what cops look for and says the same thing i mentioned at first about trigger words for there dogs.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Might I suggest NOT breaking the law in the first place...ie driving on out of date tags or inspection? Then you wont be pulled over...DUH!
Secondly the young person was acting strange by my standards....But I don't do drugs or drink & drive,so maybe he was normal to people who do.
Thirdly no one on here has even proved his father was a POLICE OFFICER (Those who have parents that ARE POLICE OFFICERS don't tell the other OFFICER " My dads a cop", they usually say My dad is an OFFICER also.) He never mentioned a name either.
And lastly......You Have NO RIGHTS so get over it!