Limewire -> iTunes -> iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 08:38 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Limewire -> iTunes -> iPhone

Update: I finally gave in and activated my phone through iTunes. I downloaded the newest version of iTunes, activated the phone, then loaded the newest software for the phone. So far, so good. I really like the phone.

I figured out how to transfer my phone numbers on my SIM card to the iPhone. The phone already had an option under settings. It was under Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calenders -> Contacts -> Import SIM Contacts

Ok...so here's what I'm wanting to know. I have iTunes, I have nearly 500 songs. I would like to transfer a few songs to my phone, which I did, but I can't set them as ringtones. Someone informed me that I had to purchase ringtones from iTunes, then Sync it to the phone. I'm sure there is a way around this. Does anyone know how to get songs that I have in my iTunes that I downloaded from Limewire to set as ringtones on my iPhone?
Old 12-05-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
Update: I finally gave in and activated my phone through iTunes. I downloaded the newest version of iTunes, activated the phone, then loaded the newest software for the phone. So far, so good. I really like the phone.

I figured out how to transfer my phone numbers on my SIM card to the iPhone. The phone already had an option under settings. It was under Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calenders -> Contacts -> Import SIM Contacts

Ok...so here's what I'm wanting to know. I have iTunes, I have nearly 500 songs. I would like to transfer a few songs to my phone, which I did, but I can't set them as ringtones. Someone informed me that I had to purchase ringtones from iTunes, then Sync it to the phone. I'm sure there is a way around this. Does anyone know how to get songs that I have in my iTunes that I downloaded from Limewire to set as ringtones on my iPhone?
Why don't you just buy the songs you want? You drive a supercharged corvette and sell your **** for a lot of money on forums but you can't fork over a few dollars to support artists you like???
Old 12-05-2008, 09:21 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Yeah, there is a way. I forgot how, but I can tell you it basically uses the previews in iTunes as the ringtone. Technically, I guess you're not really stealing either. It was published in some computer magazine a month or two after the phone came out.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

fucken phone, i regre buying this **** since the day i walked out of the store...oh wait that was yesterday
Old 12-05-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
Why don't you just buy the songs you want? You drive a supercharged corvette and sell your **** for a lot of money on forums but you can't fork over a few dollars to support artists you like???
What if i already bought a CD, not everyone steals songs u know.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Teching In

yea theres a way. its kinda hard to get at first but once you do it you can make any part of any song as a ring tone. heres the breakdown:

1. select a song that you would like to make into a ring tone
2. listen to it and mark the time space that the part you want to make into a ringtone appears (i.e. 1:43-2:00)
3. right click on that song and go to the "get info" part.
4. go to "options" the check both the start time and end time and fill in the part you want as the ringtone.
5. once thats done go back and right click the song again and click on "create AAC version"
6. VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! make sure you go back to the original song selection and uncheck the start and end time so you dont end up only playing 30 seconds of your favorite song.
7. go to your itunes folder where it stores all of your library info.
8. right click on the AAC version and change the file format from m4a to m4r.
9. drag that file into the ringtone section of your itunes.
10. delete the original AAC version in your songs library because its just a space filler.

there you go!

just make sure you can rename the files. this can be done by going to the control panel and going to folder options and making sure you can see hidden files and that you can rename files. once you get the hang of it youll have the best ringers ever because some ringtones play shitty parts of the song and you have 100% control of what part of the song is turned into a ringtone.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dirty 30
What if i already bought a CD, not everyone steals songs u know.
oh sorry, didn't know I was talking to you
Old 12-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Dont use limewire....
Old 12-06-2008, 02:01 AM
LS7 Member

Limewire is probably why you had to reformat .
Old 12-06-2008, 07:54 AM
9 Second Club NA

RedlineT/A, the individual who informed me that I had to purchase them from iTunes emailed me yesterday with those exact instructions. Here's the email: (copied & pasted)

You should see if this works….

Create free ringtones for your iPhone using only iTunes and songs you already have on your computer (This method only works with songs that are DRM free. To create ringtones using DRM protected songs please use this method). This method has been tested and works with iTunes 7.7.1 and iPhone 2.0.1 firmware. To create custom ringtones using only iTunes:

1. Right click on the song you are going to make into a ringer and select “Get Info.”
2. Go to the options tab and go down to the “Start Time” and “Stop Time” check boxes. Check both boxes and input the time you want your ringer to start/stop. The ringer has to be 30 seconds or less. Click OK when you’re done.
3. Right click on your newly “clipped” song and select “Convert Selection to AAC.” The song will be re-encoded using the start and stop times determined (If your menu item does not read “Convert Selection to AAC” and reads “Convert Slection to MP3″ (or some other format) please go to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > Importing and change the “Import Using” drop down menu to “AAC Encoder”).

4. After the song is done encoding navigate to your iTunes Music folder, locate your song, and drag it to your desktop. After the song is on your desktop go back to iTunes and delete the clipped version from you iTunes library (It won’t delete it from your desktop, it will only remove it from iTunes).
5. Go back the song on your desktop and right click on your song and chose “Get info.” Go to the name and extension section and change the extension from .m4a to .m4r (or you can just change the extension right from your desktop)
6. After the extension is changed simply double click on the file to add it to your iTunes library under the ringtones section. Sync your phone with iTunes and you’re done!

However...I can't successfully do this. When I get to step #3, there's not an exact selection that says, "Convert Selection to AAC". It says, "Create AAC Version". I select it because it's the closest thing to the directions.

On to #5. When I right click on it, there's not an option for "Get Info". Since I couldn't figure this out, I even tried to convert it with media-convert.com, but there was no option for m4r on the output format. So...I'm stumped on this one.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:52 AM
9 Second Club NA

Badass. I got it. However...

I couldn't figure out how to change the extension. So I emailed the file to my work address (I'm at work), right clicked the file in the email, selected save as, then I was able to change the extension to a m4r. Then I emailed myself from work to my email (I have my laptop here at work), saved it to my desktop. I thought when I right clicked it to see the properties that it was going to say mpr, but instead it said Ringtone. Sure enough, it dragged it into the Ringtone folder of iTunes and it accepted it. Sync'ed it and it's there!

What I need to figure out is how to change the extension so I don't have to email it back and forth. How do I do this?
Old 12-06-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

i just followed everything that email told you to do but couldnt get the "get info" thing to pop up for me either.....if you find out let me know!
Old 12-06-2008, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

look its easy guys, just jailbreak your phone it will unlock an entire new world for your phone if u want more info go to http://www.modmyi.com its the best thing i ever did to my phone....sideways texting different colors....EVERYTHING can be changed!!!
Old 12-06-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

do they have a jailbreak for the latest updated 3g??
Old 12-06-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ebaker
do they have a jailbreak for the latest updated 3g??
yes they do
Old 12-06-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
yes they do
It was available the day after 2.2 was released.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

Well then where can I find this?
Old 12-06-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ebaker
Well then where can I find this?

http://www.quickpwn.com/
Old 12-06-2008, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

anyone had any problems with it? i just got my iPhone on monday and just dont want it to mess it up
Old 12-06-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by john.s
anyone had any problems with it? i just got my iPhone on monday and just dont want it to mess it up
Nope. Upgraded to 2.2 the day it came out and jailbroke the next day. IMO, you are not taking full advantage of the phone's capabilities unless you jailbreak

Quick Reply: Limewire -> iTunes -> iPhone