anyone know how to use an iphone w/ a regular AT&T sim card?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default anyone know how to use an iphone w/ a regular AT&T sim card?

i got a used 1st gen iphone for free, i currently have a razr. I downloaded a program which successfully unlocked and jailbroke it(quickpwn), it should work now (as what i read on the internet) but im getting an error say a different sim is detected"

anyone know anything about this? i use it mainly for music and internet at school(wifi) and movies... it would just be nice to be able to not have to carry a phone and an iphone at the same time lol
Old 12-30-2008, 01:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pay $20 and get a new sim.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:23 AM
TECH Resident

at the top of the phone there is a pin hole take the end of a paper clip pull the tray out put ur sim card end than sync the iphone with itunes on ur computer that's how I did mine and I had a razr before I got mine if you have any problems let me no
Old 12-31-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onebadblackz
at the top of the phone there is a pin hole take the end of a paper clip pull the tray out put ur sim card end than sync the iphone with itunes on ur computer that's how I did mine and I had a razr before I got mine if you have any problems let me no
tried that, it tells me i have to register is and it wants me to give all sorts of credit card information

Originally Posted by SSmoken
pay $20 and get a new sim.
do i go to AT&T and do this?
Old 12-31-2008, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have to have a new simcard (3g network) in order for it to work.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
tried that, it tells me i have to register is and it wants me to give all sorts of credit card information.
This is just so you can buy apps and songs. You wont ever be charged unless you buy something.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PatriotT/A
This is just so you can buy apps and songs. You wont ever be charged unless you buy something.
he is exactly right.. you have to have ATLEAST a 3g sim card to use the iphone even if it is a first gen. also you are going to have to put a credit card on there to set up an itunes account
Old 01-01-2009, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

You may have done something wrong in the unlock/jailbreak/pwn process. It took me a few tries before I was able to unlock mine. Flash the device with the stock Apple firmware and try again.

Like mentioned, if your SIM is really old (like pre-EDGE or whatever the other carriers call it), it may not work, and you'll have to pay to activate a new one.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ryansm1
You may have done something wrong in the unlock/jailbreak/pwn process. It took me a few tries before I was able to unlock mine. Flash the device with the stock Apple firmware and try again.

Like mentioned, if your SIM is really old (like pre-EDGE or whatever the other carriers call it), it may not work, and you'll have to pay to activate a new one.
well the sim i have in my razor says "3g" on the back of it, so i guess that means im good to go? what unlock software did you use? quickpwn or pwnage?

did you have to put your credit card information in for itunes? i already have an account set up with itunes(using the old sim that was given to me with the iphone)

thanks for all the info guys!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

well the sim i have in my razor says "3g" on the back of it, so i guess that means im good to go? what unlock software did you use? quickpwn or pwnage?

did you have to put your credit card information in for itunes? i already have an account set up with itunes(using the old sim that was given to me with the iphone)

thanks for all the info guys!
You should be okay with the SIM. I used WinPwn with 2.0 to unlock and upgraded to 2.2 with QuickPwn. You should be able to activate/unlock/jailbreak with QuickPwn, though.

If you already have an iTunes account, just log in and use it. You do have to put your credit card information in to create a new account, though.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:37 AM
Launching!

You jailbroke the phone BEFORE you synced it up with itunes?? If so, thats where you went wrong. What you need to do now is, go to where you got the phone from, sync up, and restore the phone back to original. Then try again, if it doesn't work then take it to cingular.

1. You should have made sure your sim card worked before you used Pwnage and or Quickpwn.

2. Make sure you have the sim car inserted correctly into the iphone, if it is a 3g Sim card it should work.

3. I have actually had Cingular give me a new Sim card for free.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

soo i need to erase everything on it(return it back to original) then install quickpwn -with my sim in it the whole time- then connect to itunes and just login with my account i have now?

thanks alot guys
Old 01-03-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

i called at&t and they said that when i put my sim in the iphone and connect it itunes, that billing information part is for upgrading my wireless plan. he had alot of pauses when i asked questions about this, so im guessing he does know there is a way around it.

does anyone have aim on here? im willing to pay money through paypal if someone can help me successfully pull this off lol
Old 01-05-2009, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

ryansm1 was correct, after my 3rd time tying it finally worked. I downloaded boss prefs to block 'edge' data, but should i also call at&t up to block data from their side? just tell them that im tired of accidentally accessing it

thanks for the help!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

ryansm1 was correct, after my 3rd time tying it finally worked. I downloaded boss prefs to block 'edge' data, but should i also call at&t up to block data from their side? just tell them that im tired of accidentally accessing it
You can block it from AT&T's site if you want, but if you use Boss Prefs to block it, you will never connect to the network and never accrue charges.

They don't care if you accidentally use it, they are happy that they can charge you $0.01/kB.

Quick Reply: anyone know how to use an iphone w/ a regular AT&T sim card?