What gun to get...and where?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 108dragon
Why would you bother getting a concealed carry license if you aren't worried about criminals and thier mentality? My point is, since you are obviously avoiding the issue; If you aren't going to be serious and socially responsible enough to learn what you need to learn to carry a firearm (for personal defense or otherwise) don't bother. You will only do more harm than good.
I'm not avioding any issue, and for the record I agree with you that if someone is going to get a CHL they should be responsible and treat whatever weapon they have with respect. The fact is that isn't the point of this thread, this is a "what gun should I buy" thread and I offered my opinion. The reason that you took this thread to the next level and off context is beyond me.

As far as your KISS approach goes, if a revolver was the simplest and most ergonomic approach to ANY sidearm carry, law enforcement, government agencies, and the military would still be using them. They aren't. In fact, most savvy pistoleros STILL lean toward a custom 1911 style weapon (all modern automatics are still built on Browning patents).
Revolvers are by design the simplest and most reliable pistol, period. LEO and military are trained professionals and fire their weapons at least 3 times a week, which as I said before is a must if you are going to be proficient with a semi-automatic pistol in a pressure situation, which over 50% of handgun owners aren't. They buy them, shoot them half a dozen times and then in the box, nightstand, under the seat, etc. they go. Also the requirements for LEO and military sidearms is 100% different than any CHL. Even in studies conducted by the FBI of LEO's most of the time there are less than 6 shots fired in an exchange. Outside of the military there is no logical reason to have a higher capacity than that, we are discussing need versus want. I prefer a steel framed 1911 because it's a bigger gun that fits me better, but do I need it, of course not, it's overkill for 100% of all situations.

Point, since I have to spell it out to you; A Springfield XD requires less training to become proficient with than a S&W model 29.
Modern automatics (Springfield XD, Walther P99, etc.) enjoy reliability ratings on par with any revolver. The safeties are damn near idiot proof and designed for combat/fast reaction use. Even the classic 1911 was specifically DESIGNED for killing humans and eclipsed the revolver as the sidearm of choice with professionals who make a living killing people. The safties are there for a reason!
Like before you are comparing needs of trained professionals that kill people for a living to the average Joe. The average Joe isn't going to need 9+ rounds of ammo or the fast loading capabilities. I never said the safeties weren't idiot proof although the number of self inflicted gunshot wounds among your "professionals" is still astounding. Point is that the last thing you want to worry about in a dangerous situation is your safety, with a revolver it's a no brainer, on a semi most of the time they have 2 and some have 3. A revolver is a true point and shoot weapon at anytime and that will always be faster than a semi, unless you are riding/driving around with one in the chamber and no safeties on.

The only reason you aren't sure what I'm talking about is because you choose not to. When you lose a family member or you yourself are shot by one of your "internet cowboys" with a CCL and a shiney new pistol (accidently or collaterally), we can have this conversation again. Otherwise, no, you probably won't get it.
Now that you actually said what you meant I agree with the first part of what you're saying but I'm still wondering why you are arguing this with me. You're basically calling me a moron because I said for the average Joe that a revolver is a better choice and basically idiot proof. What makes you think that I haven't been shot before?
Old 02-11-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AaronK
NO joke. Browning designed some great firearms

Anyone that thinks semis aren't as reliable as revolvers needs to research the torture test the 1911 went through before becoming the military's sidearm.

For your reading pleasure:

A torture test was conducted, on March 3rd, 1911. The test consisted of having each gun fire 6000 rounds. One hundred shots would be fired and the pistol would be allowed to cool for 5 minutes. After every 1000 rounds, the pistol would be cleaned and oiled. After firing those 6000 rounds, the pistol would be tested with deformed cartridges, some seated too deeply, some not seated enough, etc. The gun would then be rusted in acid or submerged in sand and mud and some more tests would then be conducted.

Browning's pistols passed the whole test series with flying colors. It was the first firearm to undergo such a test, firing continuously 6000 cartridges, a record broken only in 1917 when Browning's recoil-operated machine gun fired a 40000 rounds test.

The report of the evaluation committee (taken from 'The .45 Automatic, An American Rifleman Reprint', published by the National Rifle Association of America) released on the 20th of March 1911 stated :

"Of the two pistols, the board was of the opinion
that the Colt is superior, because it is more
reliable, more enduring, more easily disassembled
when there are broken parts to be replaced, and
more accurate."
Old 02-11-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Anyone know anything about the Beretta PX4 Storm? The online reviews I have seen are mostly positive.

Beretta also has a sub-compact model of it.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

i have a berretta 92fs 9mm and i just bought a glock 22 40cal i like them both
Attached Thumbnails What gun to get...and where?-pb240022.jpg  
Old 02-11-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ulakovic22
Now that you actually said what you meant I agree with the first part of what you're saying but I'm still wondering why you are arguing this with me. You're basically calling me a moron because I said for the average Joe that a revolver is a better choice and basically idiot proof. What makes you think that I haven't been shot before?
I never stuttered what I was saying at ALL, bro. I apologize for calling you a moron. That was out of line. I am very passionate about training and readiness. I have too many dead friends to be otherwise.
You are thinking in terms of "requirements". I am thinking in terms of "efficiency". If a weapon has passed every safety, reliability, and durability test that the military and law enforcment community can throw at it, what makes you think it will perform any less efficiently in the same service for the "average Joe"? Proper training makes ANY safety transparent in application.

These are my carry pieces. Colt Competition MkIV series 70. Briley bull barrels, tungsten guide rods, ti triggers, firing pins, and locking mechs. Basically, all the non-bling tactical options. Equally useful defensively and offensively. Carried in hack-hack shoulder rig or cross draw right/ small of the back left. 156gr Hydroshock, 200+gr Gold Dot, 230gr SXT, or Glasier Safety Slug. I group at less than 6" at 100yrds with FMJ rounds with these. I sometimes burn 100+ rounds a week in practice.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

These are my carry pieces.
JEEEZE....Freakin Boondock Saints kinda **** here (best movie ever). Nice *** guns man.

Edit: Just because I like Boondock Saints does not mean I am going to go around town killing people who do bad things. Just a movie. I felt I should say this b/c it seems people's opinons are being blown out of the water, and the next thing I know I'd be bashed on here for liking a movie that has guns in it.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by -Ross-

Beretta also has a sub-compact model of it.

This looks like a bad *** gun. I understand though...looks don't mean comfort.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

I never stuttered what I was saying at ALL, bro. I apologize for calling you a moron. That was out of line. I am very passionate about training and readiness. I have too many dead friends to be otherwise.
You are thinking in terms of "requirements". I am thinking in terms of "efficiency". If a weapon has passed every safety, reliability, and durability test that the military and law enforcment community can throw at it, what makes you think it will perform any less efficiently in the same service for the "average Joe"? Proper training makes ANY safety transparent in application.

These are my carry pieces. Colt Competition MkIV series 70. Briley bull barrels, tungsten guide rods, ti triggers, firing pins, and locking mechs. Basically, all the non-bling tactical options. Equally useful defensively and offensively. Carried in hack-hack shoulder rig or cross draw right/ small of the back left. 156gr Hydroshock, 200+gr Gold Dot, 230gr SXT, or Glasier Safety Slug. I group at less than 6" at 100yrds with FMJ rounds with these. I sometimes burn 100+ rounds a week in practice.
You crack me up.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:46 PM
Launching!

Here's a nice compact. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQyILdv-KZ8
Old 02-12-2009, 08:39 AM
Teching In

And I thought us Florida boy's were gun happy, but really.... nice pair! I'll be sure not to **** you off if I'm ever in texas. lol
Old 02-12-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
You crack me up.
Glad to have contributed to your amusement.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have never shot a gun as good as the glock 40! gun is badass!
im going to the police acadamey and i couldnt decide between the glock40 and the Springfield XD but went with the glock after shooting the xd....xd was awsome aswell just like the glock.... rugers are good aswell imo.... kimber 1911 are sweet shooting guns allso!!
Old 02-12-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lutzfire24
And I thought us Florida boy's were gun happy, but really.... nice pair! I'll be sure not to **** you off if I'm ever in texas. lol
Not gun happy and not in Texas. 20 years ex military. I still take my oath seriously.
I posted on a another thread about some of these Texas guys feeling the need to pack a tactical shotgun for fear of thier safety. THAT cracks ME up. Me? My Z28 and Eclipse GST sit outside every night unlocked. I don't even bother locking my front door. Although I've had to break up a few domestics that woke me out of a dead sleep, I've never once had to fire on burglars or other hostiles. THAT, in my book, is climate control.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:20 AM
10 Second Club

As ex-military I would also agree that the Springfield .40 subcompact is the perfect carry weapon. Great gun for just about anyone.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Village Idiot

Gun control laws save lives, no?... Maybe we should sell all our guns and take up MMA classes instead... It would be healthier choice... Hand to hand combat only, and a felony if caught with a gun!!!! Go old school with knives, sticks and stones, sling shots, maybe???... I'm sure you guys don't want to hear that though...

On the other hand the world is over populated and people need to die...My bad, reload and stand ready to fire at those criminals.... I love my gun too much anyway!!! It's nice and shinny, the grip feels really good, etc..
Old 02-12-2009, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Has anyone heard of a CZ 40P?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
Gun control laws save lives, no?... Maybe we should sell all our guns and take up MMA classes instead... It would be healthier choice... Hand to hand combat only, and a felony if caught with a gun!!!! Go old school with knives, sticks and stones, sling shots, maybe???... I'm sure you guys don't want to hear that though...

On the other hand the world is over populated and people need to die...My bad, reload and stand ready to fire at those criminals.... I love my gun too much anyway!!! It's nice and shinny, the grip feels really good, etc..
The world, as much as we'd like to wish, isn't going to regress in technology. Unless we end up nuking ourselves back into the stone age. A gun is a tool just like anything else. When I need to dig a hole, I grab a shovel. When I need to fix my Z28, I roll out my Snap On box.
Blades aren't a bad way to go. But "I'd hate to get killed for lack of shootin' back". California, huh? I bet your doors stay locked. hahaha
The things that are wrong with the world usually right themselves by attrition. Sooner or later, people pay for rotten things they do. In a world like that, you only do what you have to do. You fulfill your responsibility in and to your community. No more, no less.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

I agree 100% with everything you said above. I think the key though is proper training and practice, which I think is a concept lost on the average Joe.

Extremely nice guns and I'm glad that you take gun control/safety seriously, but you sir, in my experience, are the exception.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by PatriotT/A
Has anyone heard of a CZ 40P?
Czechoslovic weapon. Under rated. CZ's quality control is born of Arsenal of Bulgaria's history. If I'm not mistaken, CZ's barrels are hammer forged. Same barrel technology H&K and Styer use. CZ just recently entered the synthetic (plastic) framed weapon arena to compete with the other high end manufacturers, though not nearly as pricey. I haven't heard anything bad about them tough. They are popular with INTERPOL and other European agencies.
Older CZ pistols had that weird European rear heavy thing going on. Kinda like the Walther PPK and Makarov.
If you have one in a non European caliber like .40, it would be a nice choice.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

.50 caliber of course...

Quick Reply: What gun to get...and where?