Real Performance Motorsports (RPM) in Lewisville

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real Performance Motorsports (RPM) in Lewisville

If anyone has had worke done by RPM in Lewisville please let me know your thoughts (by PM is fine). I had a nice visit with them recently and learned alot about my options for a cam only swap on my '01 Z28 M6. They seem like good people.

I would also like to hear about any experience with the RPM5 and RPM4 spec cams and about the results folks have had running them on the street, at the track, etc. Thanks.

James
Old 02-20-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

First off, you are going to get people that love them and people that hate them.

They have done most of the work on my car and I have been happy with everything so I recommend them. BTW, I have the RPM2 cam (specs in sig) and was pleasantly surprised at the numbers it makes.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had both RPM4 and RPM5. I enjoyed the RPM4. Very streetable. RPM4 made 383 rwhp and 400 tq in my bolt on/stalled(3600) cam only car.

I had an issue with the car, so let RPM do some work. RPM5 cam was put in at this time along with new lifters and oil pump. I drove the car for about 30 miles and the motor was starved of oil.

After tearing into the engine a buddy of mine confirmed the oil "o" ring caused the blockage. Spun 3 rod bearings.

Needless to say I havent done business with them since.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:09 PM
8 Second Club

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

I am pretty happy with the work they have done on my car and my truck.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Stick with SQR or RPM in the DFW area and you will be taken care of well. There will always be a few stories of unhappy customers, thats cars/racing for ya.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll be taking a 02 SS LE convertible there next week to have a RPM4 and some other stuff installed.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slowredz
Stick with SQR or RPM in the DFW area and you will be taken care of well. There will always be a few stories of unhappy customers, thats cars/racing for ya.
+1 RPM has done great work for me and if not using them SQR is just as good
Old 02-20-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

yea both shops worked on my ol'TA, Id recommend both
Old 02-20-2009, 04:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I poked around in a car that had been tuned by RPM and there was some pretty bad mistakes, for instance the car was running in OL MAF. No experience with them other than that.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great shop...
Old 02-20-2009, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

fixed all the fuckups from a previous shop for me. Haven't done me wrong and have made all the right moves to making more power while being very polite to someone who was a PITA in the beginning and before touching my car. I was a serious PITA to them.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just saw another RPM cam install this week actually... They put a cam in a buddy's 6.0 chevy truck. Made good power and the truck drives very near stock after they tuned it. Good shop for you to take your car.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Didnt check PTV clearance and installed my cam a tooth advanced when they put a motor together for me and it cost me a WHOLE longblock. RPM CAN do good work but if something ***** up they WILL blame it all on you.

Pass this shop up. I have been to 3 shops in the DFW area HPP, RPM, and Quality. While i was happy with the tune HPP did for me I dont care for the owners much. Quality cant tune for **** either. MY next stop will be SQR
Old 02-21-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Pwebbz28
Didnt check PTV clearance and installed my cam a tooth advanced when they put a motor together for me and it cost me a WHOLE longblock. RPM CAN do good work but if something ***** up they WILL blame it all on you.

Pass this shop up. I have been to 3 shops in the DFW area HPP, RPM, and Quality. While i was happy with the tune HPP did for me I dont care for the owners much. Quality cant tune for **** either. MY next stop will be SQR
Are you the guy who took them a set of heads that had been milled and then the ptv issue occured? Thought I remembered a thread relating to such. I agree they can do good work, I just cant figure out why they made such a big screw up. Either way, it sucks that you lost a whole longblock.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

They worked on my Z06 twice and I had a great experience both times! They got my car in and out of the shop quickly!
Old 02-21-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brady346
Are you the guy who took them a set of heads that had been milled and then the ptv issue occured? Thought I remembered a thread relating to such. I agree they can do good work, I just cant figure out why they made such a big screw up. Either way, it sucks that you lost a whole longblock.

Yeah, they had been milled .031 (double checked). RPM said they had been milled .050 and it was my fault because i told them the wrong number. Thats .020 off IF they were correct right? The cam they used was a 244/248 comp cam AND they flycut the pistons .090-.100. That cam is supposed to fit in a stock motor with no problems. The numbers they were saying just didnt add up to it being my fault.

When the motor went I took it apart to find that they had installed the cam a tooth advanced. Brian told me there is no way because he doubled checked that himself. How did he do that when it still had the same TTY crank bolt in it with the degree marks i made on it in the exact same place?

They are NOT stand up people. Anyone can get lucky once in awhile but they seem to have a problem with consistency.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:30 AM
10 Second Club

I'm sure they do good work, but I'd avoid them just because of Pwebbz28's experience. Every shop screws up, the good shops are separated from the bad buy how they handle it. There's no excuse for a shop installing a cam a tooth off. If you're being paid to install a cam there is no excuse not to use a degree wheel and do it right.
I line up the dots in the garage and call it a day, but a pro should never do that.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:28 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
I'm sure they do good work, but I'd avoid them just because of Pwebbz28's experience. Every shop screws up, the good shops are separated from the bad buy how they handle it. There's no excuse for a shop installing a cam a tooth off. If you're being paid to install a cam there is no excuse not to use a degree wheel and do it right.
I line up the dots in the garage and call it a day, but a pro should never do that.
Interesting how these arguments always lead to pointing fingers and talking ****. I have grown past this and realize that **** happens. My experience has been very positive with RPM..... similiar to the cam, headers install, and tune I got years ago by SQR. Heck, I haven't had issues with HPP on dyno days. I enjoy talking to the fellas at the track too.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:40 AM
10 Second Club

Who is talking ****?
**** happens is exactly what I said, how you deal with **** is what separates good shops from not so good. But whatever, I don't care what shops do, I work on my own car. No one to blame for the screw ups except for myself that way.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm Mike Hutto

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
Who is talking ****?
**** happens is exactly what I said, how you deal with **** is what separates good shops from not so good. But whatever, I don't care what shops do, I work on my own car. No one to blame for the screw ups except for myself that way.
Before a shop touches my cars I ask if they use a degree wheel and then ask them how they degree it. Before any of that happens I ask if they know how to check P to V and depending on these two answers, is if they get the work or not. I also ask if I can watch it happen on another car they are already that far into. I know how to work on my own ****, but I've got the time and money to pay someone else because my hands don't like getting dirty. If they dont even have a degree wheel or P to V checking tools in the shop, **** YOU! A squirrel will find a nut every once in awhile.

Quick Reply: Real Performance Motorsports (RPM) in Lewisville