HOA fees/services, what are yours?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:45 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default HOA fees/services, what are yours?

Just curious as to what your HOA fees are. I just don't see the point in paying $900 a year so a 12'x20' feet section of grass is mowed and a marque where some Jon94Z can post his lost cat posters is well maintained. I also don’t necessarily agree a higher HOA fee is indicative of a nicer neighborhood.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ours are around $815. They happily told us they were going up this year because several people in the neighborhood didn't pay last year, and they had to make up the costs somehow.

We have lodged a formal complaint with the county. We'll see if that does any good.

-Mike
Old 03-01-2009, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

$565/year
We have a pool, 2 small parks, and a small lake with a walking trail around it, so I don't think it's too bad really. They sent us out where all the money goes as well. We also have the constables patrolling so I don't mind paying what we do.

Our neighborhood is 10 years old.

Last edited by wickedrx7; 03-01-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:20 AM

500-600 seems to be about average for most the newer subdivisions in NW Houston, I like Canyon Lakes but thats is about $900, kind of a turn off.

Mike,

W T F, good luck. My dads neighborhood has a ton of HOA drama, they had to have the cops break up the last meeting because some choked the president. I sugest you doing similar to your neighbors. Just ask if they paid their dues, if not, give them the help they need, choke a **** in to understanding.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Launching!

wow, you guys are making me feel good. mine are $380
Old 03-01-2009, 09:07 AM
9 Second Club

mine is ~900/yr. first colony

and all they do for me all year is setup hearings to try and fine me for when a friend drives his modified ( yet street legal ) car to my house and the ******* two houses down doesn't approve. I am reaching the point of choking a bitch.

Last edited by Tiago; 03-01-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

$1,700/yr. Seven Meadows - Avalon

2 pools, a clubhouse, movie theater, gym, several kid parks, many lakes, gated entry, plenty of common ground and tons of flower beds.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

People that complain about their HOAs crack me up. You knew it existed when you bought the house. Just pay your dues and quit your sniveling. I was the president of the HOA in my last neighborhood. I have never seen so many adults act like such children.

Unless you are comparing a community with the same number of houses and amenities there is no way to compare dues. It cost more per household to maintain a gated community with 50 houses than a non gated community with 250 houses and a community pool.

EDIT: My comments are not necessarily directed a the posts here. They are directed at the people who complain about the dues without making an effort to find out why they are what they are.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

HOA's **** me off, especially the one here. Not so much the dues, but just all the little bullshit stuff.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

$360/yr. It's not much, but they do absolutely nothing but send a lawn crew out to mow about 5k sq ft of common area. No pool. Usually that is the big expense. I think they rake it in on our little subdivision.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Q
TECH Enthusiast

I don't care for my HOA either. They are currently being sued for not disclosing their financial records to the home owners. We have a pool, 2 playgrounds, and a clubhouse. Dues $350/year. Going to the meeting is like watching Jerry Springer Live! People 50+ in age acting like 3-4 year olds. I'm working on a plan to move out into the sticks. No more HOA or deed restrictions!
Old 03-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by OhOneWS6
People that complain about their HOAs crack me up. You knew it existed when you bought the house. Just pay your dues and quit your sniveling. I was the president of the HOA in my last neighborhood. I have never seen so many adults act like such children.

Unless you are comparing a community with the same number of houses and amenities there is no way to compare dues. It cost more per household to maintain a gated community with 50 houses than a non gated community with 250 houses and a community pool.

EDIT: My comments are not necessarily directed a the posts here. They are directed at the people who complain about the dues without making an effort to find out why they are what they are.

^^^^^x2 - This person is completely right
Old 03-01-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ours is about $380 too. I don't feel so bad now that I see what some of you guys pay. I'm sure ours will go up though.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I always have a hard time getting to my hoa for problems. They have been breaking promises for the last 2 years with our condo.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by LS1x2
$360/yr. It's not much, but they do absolutely nothing but send a lawn crew out to mow about 5k sq ft of common area. No pool. Usually that is the big expense. I think they rake it in on our little subdivision.
Fix your fence and what bees?
Old 03-01-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$150 yr but i am not ever sure what it goes towards. We dont have a park, pool, or anything. We have a brick entrance with some bushes at the front. Sounds like mine is a scam. Probably 150 houses in my Sub too...
The following users liked this post:
rubenlee21 (06-06-2021)
Old 03-01-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SUTTERERMAN85
$150 yr but i am not ever sure what it goes towards. We dont have a park, pool, or anything. We have a brick entrance with some bushes at the front. Sounds like mine is a scam. Probably 150 houses in my Sub too...
Sounds exactly like mine but I'm paying 240/yr
Old 03-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1x2
Here are some things you may be missing.

How many street light in your neighborhood? Are they on individual meters?
Power consumption of a street light is not that expensive BUT most utility companies have a minimum per billing cycle. If the street light are on individual meters they usually do not meet the minimum. The minimum is usually $25 or more a month. Do the math. Ten street lights on individual meters = at least $250 a month and that does not include replacing any bulbs that are burned out (or shot out by a BB gun).

What about weed control and seasonal color for the common areas?

Commercial maintenance for landscaping is more expensive than you paying a guy to mow your lawn. You may not see them out there several times a year changing seasonal color and spraying for weeds.

Irrigation for the common areas?
Usually the utility company requires the meter to be a commercial account. This has a higher minimum per month.

Is it a gated community?
The streets are considered private drives in a gated community. This means the HOA has to maintain them not the city. It is expensive to keep streets in shape. Not to mention gate repairs, electricity and phone lines for the controllers.

How many houses?
Pretty obvious how this affects what you pay.

I got involved with my HOA because I had a lot of the same complaints I hear from people. It was a real eye opener to see how expensive it is to run a neighborhood. City governments love HOAs because they do not require much code enforcement and maintenance from the city. This means less cost to the city.

Not flaming, Just sharing my experience with this.

EDIT: almost forgot, I am no longer the HOA president and I no longer live in a deed restricted HOA community.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

That's all well and good, but I figure they collect $50k+ in this neighborhood. If the lawn service costs that much I am starting a lawn company tomorrow.

Originally Posted by OhOneWS6
Here are some things you may be missing.

How many street light in your neighborhood? Are they on individual meters?
Power consumption of a street light is not that expensive BUT most utility companies have a minimum per billing cycle. If the street light are on individual meters they usually do not meet the minimum. The minimum is usually $25 or more a month. Do the math. Ten street lights on individual meters = at least $250 a month and that does not include replacing any bulbs that are burned out (or shot out by a BB gun).

What about weed control and seasonal color for the common areas?

Commercial maintenance for landscaping is more expensive than you paying a guy to mow your lawn. You may not see them out there several times a year changing seasonal color and spraying for weeds.

Irrigation for the common areas?
Usually the utility company requires the meter to be a commercial account. This has a higher minimum per month.

Is it a gated community?
The streets are considered private drives in a gated community. This means the HOA has to maintain them not the city. It is expensive to keep streets in shape. Not to mention gate repairs, electricity and phone lines for the controllers.

How many houses?
Pretty obvious how this affects what you pay.

I got involved with my HOA because I had a lot of the same complaints I hear from people. It was a real eye opener to see how expensive it is to run a neighborhood. City governments love HOAs because they do not require much code enforcement and maintenance from the city. This means less cost to the city.

Not flaming, Just sharing my experience with this.

EDIT: almost forgot, I am no longer the HOA president and I no longer live in a deed restricted HOA community.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$465 year

Quick Reply: HOA fees/services, what are yours?