The new 2010 Camaro is here at Lone Star Chevrolet in Houston!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice to meet you guys up there today, James.... will be calling you soon

pictures really do not do the car any justice. the Camaro is very nice, and the interior is not bad like it was at the auto show.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want one!
Old 04-21-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AGRV8D
pictures really do not do the car any justice. the Camaro is very nice, and the interior is not bad like it was at the auto show.
same thing i thought. i hated every picture i saw of this car... after seeing one in person coming off the truck from GM I had a totally different opinion on them.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you guys are bitching now about the cost of a DI V6 just wait till the DI V8's hit production.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Me - GM
Old 04-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Texas Director

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Out of curiosity, I went to the Ford web site and did a build and price on a new Mustang V6. With all of the most expensive options picked, I was able to get the price up to just over $33K. So, if $30K is truly the price for a fully-loaded V6 Camaro, hats off to GM! I hope they sell like crazy. Trouble is, $30K is $30K. The V8 versions are not the ones GM needs to be banking on. They need to sell the less expensive V6s in high volume.

I hope I'm wrong about my pessimism. I want GM to succeed. I probably wouldn't have purchased a Vette had I not had some belief in GM's ability to make good cars. I just have a bad feeling the Camaro isn't going to do well.

-Mike
I agree that as far as volume sales and profitability goes, GM needs to sell a LOT of V6 Camaros to help contribute to getting them on the road to some sort of financial recovery. Yes, Ford does sell a lot of V6 Mustangs, but I just don't believe that they are selling in the $30K range. Back when the '98 through '02 F-bodies were around, Ford's V6 Mustang sales were more than double the combined sales of the GM f-bods, which contributed to it's demise.

The V6 pony car sales volume is what brings in the dough, not the V8 sales. However, as car enthusiasts we all want to have high performance pony cars, and as much as all of us testosterone driven guys despise the "chick car" V'6's, their volume sales and the income they produce are essential to the automakers in justifying the Mustang and Camaro nameplates.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmiller
I agree that as far as volume sales and profitability goes, GM needs to sell a LOT of V6 Camaros to help contribute to getting them on the road to some sort of financial recovery. Yes, Ford does sell a lot of V6 Mustangs, but I just don't believe that they are selling in the $30K range. Back when the '98 through '02 F-bodies were around, Ford's V6 Mustang sales were more than double the combined sales of the GM f-bods, which contributed to it's demise.

The V6 pony car sales volume is what brings in the dough, not the V8 sales. However, as car enthusiasts we all want to have high performance pony cars, and as much as all of us testosterone driven guys despise the "chick car" V'6's, their volume sales and the income they produce are essential to the automakers in justifying the Mustang and Camaro nameplates.

the v6's are like 24-25k when optioned normally, this isn't 2002 folks, 7 years of inflation....the price is spot on
Old 04-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Texas Director

I'm just saying that after the new wears off $30K for a V6 Camaro isn't going to fly with car buyers. They'll sell fast at first, but sales will plummet quickly unless you can buy one in the mid $20's. Watch and see.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmiller
I'm just saying that after the new wears off $30K for a V6 Camaro isn't going to fly with car buyers. They'll sell fast at first, but sales will plummet quickly unless you can buy one in the mid $20's. Watch and see.
The base MSRP is $22k............employee pricing is $20k
Old 04-21-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, pricing being spot on or not, anyone who pays $30K+ for a V6 Camaro will be horribly upsided down within a year or two.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
I bought a loaded 2008 V6 Mustang back in '07 for 19.8k....
just sayin.
That was before the R&D and blah blah blah according to Purple Lean. The '09 should cost you somewhere around 20.2k! haha
Old 04-21-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Randy_S
That was before the R&D and blah blah blah according to Purple Lean. The '09 should cost you somewhere around 20.2k! haha
Who the hell is Purple Lean?
Old 04-21-2009, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just wanted to add that I do really like the new Camaro's and will seriously contemplate getting an SS a little later. Don't mean to sound too negative to the OP, so thanks for the pictures and info, I guess I just had a little sticker shock.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by purple_lean
Anyone who's complaining about the price obivously has no realistic business knowledge. Conceptual Devlopment, Design, Engineering, Materials, Manfacturing, Labor, Testing, Logistics, Marketing & Advertising and the list goes on for cost incurred. It is a completely new car in a niche market that's already hit hard right now. It's a miracle it's is as cheap as it is. It's 2009 not 1995. Inflation, rising cost of materials due to consumption by devloping nations. GM is selling them at as low a margin as they can while tetertottering on the border of collapse. Maybe the government will start subisidizing American made vehicles. That will solve the problem.
Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Who the hell is Purple Lean?

^^^ That guy.

I need to sit in one to make up my mind. I called a local dealership today to see if they had one yet but nope. I hope the interior looks better in person than in the pics.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rayosequis
Well, pricing being spot on or not, anyone who pays $30K+ for a V6 Camaro will be horribly upsided down within a year or two.
When are you not upside down when you purchase a new vehicle? Your upside down 15% 3 seconds after driving it off the lot, not to mentions 20% a year as an avg for depreciation.

Anyways. Like others mentioned, 30k is for the loaded V6. We'll see what the actual base is when someone buys one. Personally, I wouldn't buy a new V6, I'm a believer in the V8 coupe.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I personally think that with the Camaro starting at $23k is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better buy than a Mustang starting at $21k. You get IRS, much better engine and more room.

Compare a V6 Mustang. You get: $28,105

Compare a V6 Camaro. You get: $29,415

Those two builds are with the sameish options but the Camaro comes with more standard and TWO six speed transmissions.

Sorry but option for option the Camaro is the better all around car and worth the higher price.

Anybody look at the price of a 2002 Camaro SS loaded? Yea, it was damn high for what you got back in the day IMHO. Now, compare that to the new Camaro and how much GM build quality has improved and youll gladly accept the price.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:37 AM
Teching In

Come on' SJRTX, I know you have something to say. I bought my last car from him @ Lone Star Chevrolet. I will definetely be seeing him in a year maybe 2, about an SS after all the bugs are worked out. Really my only complaints are how heavy they are and the color options. I believe the Challenger SRT8, Charger SRT8, Pontiac G8 all weigh around 4100 lbs though. So I dunno, it always seems to me its Mustang vs. Camaro. Whos d!@k is bigger,lol. BTW have you seen the new Mustangs,the a$$ on that thing is yuck!
Attached Thumbnails The new 2010 Camaro is here at Lone Star Chevrolet in Houston!-dsc01219.jpg   The new 2010 Camaro is here at Lone Star Chevrolet in Houston!-dsc01220.jpg   The new 2010 Camaro is here at Lone Star Chevrolet in Houston!-dsc01223.jpg   The new 2010 Camaro is here at Lone Star Chevrolet in Houston!-dsc01224.jpg  
Old 04-22-2009, 06:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bballr4567
I personally think that with the Camaro starting at $23k is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better buy than a Mustang starting at $21k. You get IRS, much better engine and more room.

Those two builds are with the sameish options but the Camaro comes with more standard and TWO six speed transmissions.

Sorry but option for option the Camaro is the better all around car and worth the higher price.

Anybody look at the price of a 2002 Camaro SS loaded? Yea, it was damn high for what you got back in the day IMHO. Now, compare that to the new Camaro and how much GM build quality has improved and youll gladly accept the price.
Again, you're approaching this from a car enthusiast's perspective. GM wants to sell Camaros to the everyman. Originally, Carroll Shelby was skeptical of modding the Mustang, because it was "a secretary's car", and that is exactly what GM wants the Camaro to be. They want the V6 Camaro to be that fun, sporty car that everyone wants to drive, even if they don't know anything about IRS, 6-speed automatic transmissions, gear ratios, cam phasers, and all the other stuff we gearheads care about.

The fact is, gearheads will do what they're going to do. We'll buy the high-end models, modify them, race them, and enjoy them. That's a slam dunk for sales. What GM needs is for everyone else to find some appeal to the car, so they want to buy it.

Hopefully, when people test drive a Camaro and a Mustang, they'll decide the Camaro is worth the extra grand or so.

-Mike
Old 04-22-2009, 08:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bballr4567

The only V6 Mustangs selling for 28k is a loaded, automatic, leather equipped convertible.....
Old 04-22-2009, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by purple_lean
When are you not upside down when you purchase a new vehicle? Your upside down 15% 3 seconds after driving it off the lot, not to mentions 20% a year as an avg for depreciation.

Anyways. Like others mentioned, 30k is for the loaded V6. We'll see what the actual base is when someone buys one. Personally, I wouldn't buy a new V6, I'm a believer in the V8 coupe.

And that is why you buy a used one at a discounted price after a year or so. Personally I wouldn't buy a new one anyway. I have a free company car, so why would I pay that much money for something that would sit in the garage. I could be like Lander's and have a whole 10k on his 2002 ZO6. That would be an average of about 1500 miles a year so far for something that costs alot of money.

Quick Reply: The new 2010 Camaro is here at Lone Star Chevrolet in Houston!