Process operator's....

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got on at exxon on the chemical side. My education and previous job finally worked out for me lol. training right now
Old 04-25-2010, 11:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by veddersbetter
I just finished my first week training in a process operator job at Lyondell Equistar. It is the first of 5 weeks training then 1 more week ERT training.
From there its 6 months+ for a qualification and another 2 months + for certification.
I am starting in the High Density Polyethylene Unit.

I am totally new to this field. Ive worked in Printing and the Steel Industry previously. Does anyone have any words of advice or comments?

(I am the king of dragging up old threads.. me and the search function are friends)

My suggestion would be to make sure you max out your 401k. If you are sub 30 you can retire with at least a mil by 55. Those of us in the gulf coast area are lucky we have these opportunities. There aren't too many jobs you can have minimal education and make six figures.

I was lucky and started taking operator classes after high school. At 20 I made almost 80k. By 26 I hit six figures and have hit it every year since.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bah....Operators....

One Instrumentation and Electrical Tech (or Instrumentation and Controls if it suits your fancy) > whole plant of operators

Just kidding guys.

About to get my LVL 3 NICET Instrumentation cert! Woot!

Thought about ISA, but you got to pay out the rear to get a cert from them.

Only problem is the holy grail for I/E guys is the nuke plant and all the military guys gobble up the openings.

Guess I'll stick to paper for now. Had my fair share of refining, never again.

......but.....I'll always "Remember Charlie"
Old 04-26-2010, 08:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by $O$OE
Whats a Process operator?
Just Curious...
Process Operator = $$$,$$$.$$
Old 04-26-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

what type of math is involved for a job like this. o and science as well.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typically, a good process operator should know some basic algebra and physical science.

You've got to know ratios, pressure, etc.

Most places will give you a test like a Bennett Mechanical Aptitude test to determine if you have the basic knowledge required.

Most people assume that an operator is simply the guy that pushes the button, but in actuality, you have to know the how and why a process functions. At least, a good operator does.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS2 KLR
My suggestion would be to make sure you max out your 401k. If you are sub 30 you can retire with at least a mil by 55. Those of us in the gulf coast area are lucky we have these opportunities. There aren't too many jobs you can have minimal education and make six figures.

I was lucky and started taking operator classes after high school. At 20 I made almost 80k. By 26 I hit six figures and have hit it every year since.
Im 33 but Ill definitely max out the 401k. Unfortunately operator classes dont exist up here... barely anyone knows the job even exists. Whenever I was younger I would ask what the big plant was with the giant flame. Thankfully no one describes it like that anymore lol.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Yea I'm an operator for Targa Resources in Hackberry, LA. We have a alot of small fractionation facilities all over LA, TX, and NM. I work our our underground storage facility where we store ethane, propane, and butanes in 12 storage wells. We do alot of pipeline transfers back and forth with our big plant in Mont Belvieu, Tx via our 12" pipeline. We also have 2 pipelines dedicated to Citgo's refinery in Sulphur for their butane unit.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:11 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dan Stewart
Bah....Operators....

One Instrumentation and Electrical Tech (or Instrumentation and Controls if it suits your fancy) > whole plant of operators

LOL Id say Im better than that. Was a instrumentation tech and now Im on the Operations side. Can do both On a serious note you can make some good money in this industry. Shift work is very common but not always the case. I should have maxxed out the 401 but Ill still have plently with my pension I work in the power plant industry with combined cycle plants. Be able to pass the poss test.

Last edited by JMBLOWNWS6; 01-02-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Same as OP my father is also a operator who seems to like his job. Occidental Petroleum (deer park) for 17 years and recently switched to Calpine within the past 2 years and he always seemed to enjoy his work and is definitely an honest living. With graduation right around the corner (senior in HS) I am looking to becoming an operator as well. Does anybody work for a plant who is interested in hiring young bucks for journeyman training? I have one year experience in retail (Randalls) and currently working at a dealership as a tech apprentice since Nov 2009. I have been looking into the POSS and MASS testing just getting an idea of whats needed for testing. Thanks for reading!

Edit. Dont mind shift work nor if its operations/maintenance/instrumentation, Just looking to get my foot in the door

Last edited by kp483; 01-02-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

DOWs hiring
Old 01-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Im 19 turning 20 this month n im starting my courses for operator in summer. Im currently a welder/fabricator T shell refinery deer park so im hoping that helps me out whenever I start applying for jobs. I talk to several operators from shell so I might get some help if u kno what I mean. I do maintnance with HMT tank on all the big storage tanks. Good money n tons of work but operations has me I realy like it.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by carlos sauceda
Im 19 turning 20 this month n im starting my courses for operator in summer. Im currently a welder/fabricator T shell refinery deer park so im hoping that helps me out whenever I start applying for jobs. I talk to several operators from shell so I might get some help if u kno what I mean. I do maintnance with HMT tank on all the big storage tanks. Good money n tons of work but operations has me I realy like it.
San Jac operator course?
Old 01-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Yea at san jac. My friend is a boilermaker n hes coming along with me too. I have a buddy who works at pasadena refinery and hes been there like 3 years and hes making over 30 a hour. Hes only 25 yrs old n had no previous plant experience.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I'll be going there if I cant get on anywhere entry level. I might have a opportunity at WA Parish in Richmond/Rosenberg through a lady from work who likes me and one day she asked "what do you want to do after graduation?" and i let her know my plans of working at a power/chemical plant and it so happens her husband is a boiler maker and manages their travel crew. I met him a few times and hes a great guy but then again most he can do is get me in for testing and put in a good word and if I get hired on and work my way up over the 3year journeyman program.. Funny thing about that is my father worked there back when HL&P owned it and thats when he began working plants. Today he showed me all his material from when he did the 3year journeyman back in 1984. Hopefully its the "like father like son case."
Old 01-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Its very difficult to get a job as a operator without any education. Its even hard to get it with a certificate. You need you AAS in process technology as that counts as 3 years of experience and san jac also has internship programs for operators. Me n my friend make very good money doing what we do but we work long hours compared to operators. A guy in my tank crew at work will also be going to the program. Its a good career compared to a craft job like welding n boilermaking. Those are contracts.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Yea.. education is the key. I will be more than likely getting into maintenance as a helper then from there its a matter of experience. Sometimes it's not what you know but who you know although its not something to fall back on. Then again if all fails, I will be enrolling at San Jac myself
Old 01-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

For operations it isnt realy who you kno but what you kno lol. Craft jobs you usualy need someone on the inside. Just dont get used to those big checks cause then you might not wanna quit n go to school. Im quitting in summer n going full time to school to finish asap. Ill just do shutdowns n turnarounds for extra cash.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Haha yeah.. hard to step away from the cash im sure. but from what he told me its 15-16 starting and every six months for 3 years there will be testing over material. Upon passing the test is a raise and then start over with new material and new part of the plant.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:15 AM
TECH Regular

As long as you get your AAS in process tech you will have no problem getting a job. Most plants prefer to hire ignorant young guys fresh out of school. The key is to get a job young and live at home as long as you can. You should be able to save $25k a yr and still have money to blow.

If you can put a huge downpayment on a home or pay in full you'll be okay for life.

Quick Reply: Process operator's....