anyone ever own a jeep wrangler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone ever own a jeep wrangler?

I want to trade in my daily driver for a jeep wrangler so bad lol. i have a 2.3l 07 ranger with a 5 speed and it is hella slow. i just think the wrangler looks badass! anyone ever have one? trying to see how many problems they have and if the soft top is worth a damn. the one im looking at has a hard top but if i can get a better deal on a soft top then i may go that way.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a jeep wrangler a few months ago....They are a blast to drive but gas guzzling little bastards. Mine is a 4.0l, 3pd auto and 3.73s on 32"s and it gets about 13 mpgs...I have hit 14mpgs once but....thats driving REAL easy. Its not a daily driver for me but no doubt it would be a reliable, fun to drive truck everyday. Good luck on your hunt....it took me a while to find one that wasn't ragged/trashed out...
Old 06-05-2009, 12:41 PM
12 Second Club

I've got an '05 Rubicon Unlimited. With a 3.5" R.E. lift and 33" MT/Rs.

Wranglers are slow, they don't handle well, they rattle, leak, squeak, stink, drip, they're bumpy, they get shi+ for mpg, the radio sucks, you can't keep ANYTHING of value in it, the soft top is a PITA, The hard top's worse, they're only marginally roadworthy, and I love it.

I would't trade my LJ for anything.

What's your plans for it? That will make a HUGE diference in what you need to look for in a used one.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 91RS383
I've got an '05 Rubicon Unlimited. With a 3.5" R.E. lift and 33" MT/Rs.

Wranglers are slow, they don't handle well, they rattle, leak, squeak, stink, drip, they're bumpy, they get shi+ for mpg, the radio sucks, you can't keep ANYTHING of value in it, the soft top is a PITA, The hard top's worse, they're only marginally roadworthy, and I love it.

I would't trade my LJ for anything.

What's your plans for it? That will make a HUGE diference in what you need to look for in a used one.

OH YEAH......EVERYTHING he said is correct.....LOL they are horrible little vehicles....yet I couldn't see myself without one now....

Not sure why though.....

They are a hoot to drive for something this slow and unstable.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, my dad had one. Real jerky, shitty mpg, would top out at 75 mph and was decently fast.

Really fun though!
Old 06-05-2009, 06:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Lot of good deals on TJ (97-??) Rubicons, be fun toy to own.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

yup definitely a great car!! i loved my 2000 jeep wrangler. if u get one, make sure u get the soft top and the half doors instead of full doors and the hard top. i miss my jeep.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Well i have been looking to find one for a while now, the older tj's are pretty horrible but extreemly fun to drive. The new 2 doors are a blast, i rented one from avis last weekend and took it down to pins (padre island national seashore) to go fishing, this place is extreemly 4wd only and i didnt have anyproblems getting around. It was a softtop moddle and was the base x series, but i thought it was really nice and i averaged 16 on the beach going through 6inch to a foot deep sand. THen on the highway i was right at 19 on the trip home. It also wasnt to jerky like the older ones, and pretty quiet for a softtop. I also took it to spring creek to do a littl crawling, and its a hell of a machine having no trouble getting up stuff i have had plents of trouble in while driving other 4wds... If i had the money right now i would go get a new one for sure and probbly get the rubricon so i can have full lockers and the electronic sway bar dissconect.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Launching!

I really was looking for one, I need to sell my truck first. I wanted it because we go camping alot and I travel to various parks and lakes to ride my jet ski.. They def hold their value well... I cant find a nice one in good shape for under 8000
Old 06-05-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dad has a 97.. 140k miles.. he REALLY takes care of his cars.. looking/driving it you would guess honestly 20k mile garage queen.. drives awesome, makes me want one everytime i drive it.. no problems that i know of.. lots of fun..
Old 06-06-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

www.selectjeeps.com

They are worth a look, not the cheapest by far....and not all of them are A+ condition but they do have a quite a few nice ones. Thats where I ended up buying mine from after months of searching. Just look em over real good, top to bottom, then test drive them a good 20 miles or so....

They sell about 30 jeeps a month so....watch out for units that are just push throughs. I over paid a little on mine but it was one of the nicest, best driving ones with only 77k miles. Had lots of mods already done to....

Good luck.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the info. the selectjeeps site has alot of nice ones. im gonna keep looking until i find that "one." also been looking for a lotus id love to have one of those.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Any one interested in buying a super charger for their Jeep? I can find out later on exactly for what years of jeeps this kit works on if any1 is interested

Last edited by $O$OE; 06-07-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Banned

Great toys and off road vehicles but I hated driving one as a daily driver.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alexv6camaro
The new 2 doors are a blast, i rented one from avis last weekend and took it down to pins (padre island national seashore) to go fishing, this place is extreemly 4wd only and i didnt have anyproblems getting around. It was a .
Yes, definately some soft sand there.Went back home during Memorial Day weekend to visit and did some fishing there at Small Shell in PINS. My damn brother was driving for like over an hour along the beach. I just wanted to fish already. So we threw the rods out and he said it sucking today after 30 minutes, so then another 1+ hour of driving off PINS to get to another spot in the area.

Anyway, jeep wranglers just have that timeless look.