Why is it legal/acceptable to drink and drive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jermstyle

The question/point of my original post is - Why is it acceptable to consume alcohol and then go get in the car and leave. This doesn’t only apply to the guys drinking beer with their lunch, it applies to bars, clubs, gas stations ect.
Its acceptable to consume alcohol and drive if you're not drunk(bc you're still able to drive without issues). Its not acceptable to drive if you are drunk(bc you dont know WTF you're doing).

If you're not drunk, then why not drive? If I go to a bar, and have 2 beers. Should I get a taxi?
Old 06-24-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
People who drink and drive get off too easy. A lot of ignorance in this thread with all these people and their badass "tolerance".
I'm not saying my, nor anyone elses, tolerances are "bad ***". But they do exhist and have an effect on how much alcohol you can drink before getting drunk. ****, when I first started drinking, it didnt take much to get drunk.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS 666
There was a study that in the state of TX most DUI fatalities were involved in counties that DO NOT allow on site consumption. So, you actually want more people to die? I'm confused.
You asked for it.

I think that people may show some form of restraint when drinking at a bar/in public. However, if they drive home THEN start drinking, all bets are off as far as restraint is concerned.

So you're at home, wasted, and in need of some Jack in the Box tacos. Who's gonna get them for you?
Old 06-24-2009, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS 666
There was a study that in the state of TX most DUI fatalities were involved in counties that DO NOT allow on site consumption. So, you actually want more people to die? I'm confused.
Yeah you did ask for it.

The study simply said that dry counties had the more accidents. In other words, counties that dont allow for alcohol to be sold there at all.

Now, Jermstyle simply said, go out and buy the alcohol, take it home, then drink it.

Again, you said,"on site consumption." There is no such thing. You may buy beer in any county that sells it, and you may take it to a dry county and drink it there. There is no law against that. i.e. Concan, Texas/Gardner State Park is a dry county and yet you are able to consume alcohol there. Same goes for the little towns below Abilene.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

All these people who claim, "well I just have a few, I'm perfectly fine"

What the **** is the point of drinking then? "oh I love these empty calories sooo much"

You don't drink to stay sober.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

What the **** is the point of drinking then? "oh I love these empty calories sooo much"

I agree, I drink to get drunk.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Well I don't worry about empty calories, mainly because I'm not a bitch. I drink beer because I like the way it tastes, same reason why people order a coke. As far as drinking a beer or two then driving, I don't see the problem. Probably not any more dangerous than talking or texting while driving.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by had20z
I just dont drink in the vette..

some people enjoy the taste and dont drink to get drunk.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedBaron
Well I don't worry about empty calories, mainly because I'm not a bitch. I drink beer because I like the way it tastes, same reason why people order a coke. As far as drinking a beer or two then driving, I don't see the problem. Probably not any more dangerous than talking or texting while driving.
What kind of pansy just drinks "a beer or two"?
Old 06-24-2009, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The kind of "pansy" that's responsible and doesn't want to get a DUI or kill someone on their way home?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a beer or two and then driving. The fact is, your weight plays a large role in the tolerance to alcohol. Two beers for one person may get them smashed, another no noticeable "buzzed" feeling. Again, this is why there is a blood alcohol limit. This means you're allowed to have some alcohol in your blood and still drive.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

The hell with being concerned with us old drunks they had better start cracking down on cell phone and text messengers driving down the road with their head up their *** or their eyes on a lcd screen instead of the road. At least drunks are trying to watch were their going the texter’s are beyond belief. I get pushed out of my lane or have to head for the ditch to prevent a head on almost every single day.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

I'm talking about having a beer at lunch or dinner. There's a time and a place to get hammered. I don't have to get drunk every time I drink.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fastvet
Again, you said,"on site consumption." There is no such thing.
A county/town can vote to allow alcohol to be sold for onsite consumption.... meaning bars and restaurants can sell it for you to drink it there. At least thats what the TABC refers to it as.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Launching!

I'll be honest, I don't drink to get drunk (sure, when I was younger we did). I drink because I enjoy the taste. I thoroughly enjoy a good beer or an aged bourbon. For years I stopped drinking and these days only have a drink every so often. The difference is that I don't chug these days, I sip.