Is Pearland getting ghetto?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is Pearland getting ghetto?

They have a lot of money apparently pouring into that place, the Town Center on 518 and 288 just exploded overnight and the traffic is insane. I've heard that crime is getting a little out of control and people are getting jacked in the parking lots in broad daylight.

I stay out the hell out of there. Despite living 3 minutes away I take the scenic route and head for Sugarland because I prefer not to get jacked or shot, either by the thugs or the cops.

So what's the story? Are the rumors true or is it just peaches and cream over there?
Old 07-06-2009, 12:06 AM
12 Second Club

I hear sugar land is just as bad..
Old 07-06-2009, 03:47 AM
11 Second Club

Its not just Pearland every city has its low lifes.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:15 AM
c6r
On The Tree

I live in Pearland and ain't nobody messing with me" but then again "I NEVER LET THEM CATCH ME SLIPPING!!!! LoL. More concerned with the cops giving me a speeding ticket than getting jacked as they say in the hood".
Old 07-06-2009, 06:15 AM
Staging Lane

Pearland has not changed on the east side but the west side is ridiculous.....
Old 07-06-2009, 06:20 AM
TECH Regular

I work in Silverlake so I see what is going on. Yea, the ghetto has moved in. The thugs come south from Cullen/ Beltway 8. It isn't that bad though, my wife and I still shop at Target over there, I just lower my pants and show off my boxers to fit in.

I do keep heat in my vehicle now though when I am in that area.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Walmart is ghetto, but right across the street to Randalls or Target and it goes away. Amazing how just a little bit more expensive stuff drives away a certain type or crowd. There is crime just like anywhere else, but its not that bad.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Randy_S
I work in Silverlake so I see what is going on. Yea, the ghetto has moved in. The thugs come south from Cullen/ Beltway 8. It isn't that bad though, my wife and I still shop at Target over there, I just lower my pants and show off my boxers to fit in.

I do keep heat in my vehicle now though when I am in that area.
+1 i keep my heater in whichever vehicle im in. Cause if they see my red dot there about to get shot. im sick off all this bs thats been going on lately with poeple getting robbed or jacked especially having a 1 1/2 year old,ive even been talking to the wife about getting her CHL, she shoots better than most men.lolol. Everyone needs to participate in regulating the gene pool by eliminating the trash, and stop being victims.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

My wife and I have lived in Pearland since late 2001, first living in the apartments behind O'Day's Hardware, then to a house in Silverlake (off of Old Chocolate Bayou), and now in Shadow Creek Ranch. To say it has changed is an understatement. When we first moved down here, coming from 288 there was one traffic light, then a yellow flashing light at O'Day's. Now there are 8,470,981,724,098,203,812,049 lights between 288 and 45, so we avoid 518 at all costs.

The local shopping explosion is great, because it is very convenient, but it has definitely attracted some thugs. But, the new home construction has actually been the main cause. As new homes are built, people who can afford to move into them do so. That leaves the smaller "starter" homes available, and since they aren't that expensive, people with lower incomes move in. I'm not saying everyone with low income is a thug, but thugs tend to have low income. Otherwise, they might actually be able to afford the stuff they steal.

The thing is, most of the time, thieves don't live in the area where they steal from. More often, it's someone who knows someone in the area. For example, some dude has a party at his house, some thug friends come over and see all these nice houses, and decide to come back later. With all the construction in Shadow Creek Ranch, there is a lot of traffic with the day laborers, and I'm willing to bet more than a few of them are responsible (directly or indirectly) for the rise in crime. We had a couple neighbors get knocks on their doors late at night, so they called the police. The police said there has been an increase in break-ins lately in Shadow Creek Ranch, which isn't surprising at all. There are some nice homes in the area, and that attracts the worthless thieves who think it's better to steal from someone than to actually earn a living.

Overall, I'd say crime is worse in Pearland than it used to be, but it's not bad. You just have to be aware of what's going on, lock your doors, etc. That's anywhere in Houston.

-Mike
Old 07-06-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Suger land is no where near like Pearland. Pearland is way more ghetto. Everywhere has there crap people but Pearland is going down. The Pearland towncenter is already ghetto as hell. If you compare the towncenter there and the one in sugarland you will see a huge difference. They didnt put nearly the time and quality in the pearland one.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Launching!

Drive through Pasadena for a minute then head back, it wont seem that bad at all. I promise lol

-jusitn
Old 07-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Launching!

Ive lived in southdown since 2005, and i have seen a repid decline in the demographic of ppl that live here now. The crime has gone up, the loitering and street gatherings of large groups of young thugs are out of control, its like juneteenth all the time. I will say this though, the police force here on this side of town is thick. I dont ever see them doing anything ( aside from pulling me over in my own efhing driveway), but theyre here. The ghetto from the north side of the beltway is deff. moving south at a rapid rate. Im lookin to move to he north side ofhouston shortly.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by WildBills Toyota
Suger land is no where near like Pearland. Pearland is way more ghetto. Everywhere has there crap people but Pearland is going down. The Pearland towncenter is already ghetto as hell. If you compare the towncenter there and the one in sugarland you will see a huge difference. They didnt put nearly the time and quality in the pearland one.
There are a shitload of thugs running around Sugarland (spilling over from Missouri City, etc).

Originally Posted by WildBills Toyota
If you compare the towncenter there and the one in sugarland you will see a huge difference. They didnt put nearly the time and quality in the pearland one.
I've been to both and really can't see what the hell you are talking about. They seem about equal to me.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:14 AM
9 Second Club

I work in Pearland, and the area I work in, (right off of Dixie Farm and Broadway) seems to be fine. All the people and businesses I deal with daily seem to be nice. I actually see a WS6 parked at a nice house on my way to work every day coming down Dixie Farm to Broadway.

But I've driven out to Silverlake on business calls, and while alot of the houses I have entered have been AMAZING, the inhabitants weren't quite as great. More than once I figured the owner of the house must have gotten the money through drug sales.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Slash8915
But I've driven out to Silverlake on business calls, and while alot of the houses I have entered have been AMAZING, the inhabitants weren't quite as great. More than once I figured the owner of the house must have gotten the money through drug sales.
Or they got an adjustable rate mortgage and will soon default on the house.

Either way, not good.

-Mike
Old 07-06-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Slash8915
I work in Pearland, and the area I work in, (right off of Dixie Farm and Broadway) seems to be fine. All the people and businesses I deal with daily seem to be nice. I actually see a WS6 parked at a nice house on my way to work every day coming down Dixie Farm to Broadway.

silverlake is actually a pretty big drug area
Old 07-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Teching In

I moved to Pearland this Februrary. At first I was really impressed with the place and assumed this was one of the nicer parts of town. I must say, though, that I've even noticed in the few months that i've been there, that things seem to be going down hill. I agree with earlier comments about how the nice new housing is allowing lower income inhabitants to scoop up older housing. Every other car I see on 518 (I reside in a nice apartment complex near 518 and 288 so i'm usually near that side of the highway) is a 'donk' or something that has been horribly modified with big rims, rattling trunks, and the usual thug stuff. It baffles me because town square and all the housing around, even the apartments, are all so nice and are obviously priced for higher income residents. Then again, you can give anybody money; it doesn't necessarily mean that they have to spend the money with class. I know people that make plenty of money that still wear their jeans saggy and put spinners or what not on their car. Like they say, "You can take the trash out of the trailor, but you can't take the 'trailor' out of the trash". I see this issue as a mix of people who have money and don't know a classy way to spend it, as well as the aforementioned issue of lower income residents visiting the area from further north and possibly moving into the older houses in the area. Not on y that, but government funding seems to have risen for new homeowners...I know my parents bought their nice house in a subdivision for somewhere in the mid 300's..and only two years later the houses are going for half the amount and all the new residents are getting government help and cheap rates for the same houses. I mean it's great that the government helps with funding..it just sucks that those who worked hard have to pay twice as much for the same house.

/soapbox.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ORedRoc4
Drive through Pasadena for a minute then head back, it wont seem that bad at all. I promise lol

-jusitn
+1.... PEarland is nice compared to Pasa-get-down-dena!
Old 07-06-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ORedRoc4

-jusitn
i avoid that area as much as i can. but i have to drive thru there to pick up my cars when i feel like driving them.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have lived in Shadow Creek For 2.5 years. I have many guns. I am not afraid to kill someone for invading my home. If someone breaks into my house while I am not here, thats what insurance is for. Spring has gone downhill. My parents live there and I grew up there. There have been many break ins in their neighborhood. Their shed got broken into last week, along with many other neighbors. Sugarland is nice, and so is Pearland. Missouri city and some other areas are not so nice. River Oaks is nice, right around the corner, not so nice.

Quick Reply: Is Pearland getting ghetto?