Any oldies remember rankin?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugggghhhhh jesus man. How long's it been since any of us went back there and checked it out? I bet we can we go back to any of these spots this weekend and reclaim where we came from. Even Academy on 290 was aiight. Britmore, Rankin, pinemont, Starbucks, Academy all that **** I bet we could get it back for at least ONE weekend. I just moved back to Houston last weekend. If anyone knows where people are "racing in the dark" please pm me. I'm gettin' back in it.
~Austin
Old 09-17-2009, 09:24 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin Auflick
How long's it been since any of us went back there and checked it out?
Couple of weeks ago or so at Rankin. There is a reception hall back there now. So if you were/are to hit the spot, it is a hit and run really late/early.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This reminds me of all of the spots here in DFW. Post and Paddock, Astro, Luna Rd., Bonnie View, 360, Northwest Highway, and a few more. We had a lot of spots here too. I miss those days.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:44 PM
FormerVendor

Pretty much all the racing died down with the big bust arrests.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Launching!

Ugggghhhhh jesus man. How long's it been since any of us went back there and checked it out? I bet we can we go back to any of these spots this weekend and reclaim where we came from. Even Academy on 290 was aiight. Britmore, Rankin, pinemont, Starbucks, Academy all that **** I bet we could get it back for at least ONE weekend. I just moved back to Houston last weekend. If anyone knows where people are "racing in the dark" please pm me. I'm gettin' back in it.
~Austin
goodnight trail has a bunch of businesses and a neighborhood there now. they put speed bumps on brittmore, and pretty much anytime we start up something like that nowadays, the idiots ruin it anyway

Originally Posted by Matt@SNLPerformance
Pretty much all the racing died down with the big bust arrests.
and then you have this. exactly right. the penalties for getting caught are a lot higher now. back in the day, they would just run us all off and we were right back 30 minutes later. nothing like that these days....
Old 09-17-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Regular

Ughh...shittay. Well, I hope I figure somethin out here.

And yeah Boost- I remember runnin' around in the DFW area too. I used to go to South cooper past 20 back where that wal-mart was just built and run down there, GW turnpike we did some stuff. That was back in 2000-2001ish.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Aww man, I remember when I was like 8 years old(2000) my sister and I would cruise around Westhiemer all night, it was amazing. I remember going to the mall in College station and everybody had some badass Mustang, Camaro etc. Those cars where everywhere. We moved not too long after and when we went back there a few years ago there was nothing. The gas crises ran everyone off.

I wish I was born just a little bit sooner .

We need to start setting stuff up again guys, I want to be able to experience what you guys experienced as teenagers.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:43 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
We need to start setting stuff up again guys, I want to be able to experience what you guys experienced as teenagers.
We still do, but we just dont do it openly.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
We still do, but we just dont do it openly.
If you don't mind throwing me a PM of the location one day, it would be great. Not really interested in racing right now but I would love to go out and watch.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Ughh...shittay. Well, I hope I figure somethin out here.

And yeah Boost- I remember runnin' around in the DFW area too. I used to go to South cooper past 20 back where that wal-mart was just built and run down there, GW turnpike we did some stuff. That was back in 2000-2001ish.
Yeah I think that was down near Sublet Rd. Goodtimes!! It sucks that they don't just look the other way anymore.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:48 PM
In-Zane Moderator

If you don't mind throwing me a PM of the location one day, it would be great. Not really interested in racing right now but I would love to go out and watch.
Nobody races anymore. We just meet and hang out. What happens on the way to a meet is your business
Old 09-18-2009, 03:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Take 2
I was there not too long ago...

Still not the same but the road still has money made on it
cant wait to go back!
Old 09-18-2009, 03:42 AM
Teching In

sorry but its better to not bring the spectators to these!! its usually one or 2 and then its time to move around
Old 09-18-2009, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

anybody remember the cop at the gas station by rankin who would sleep in his cruiser until he heard the trailer cars start firing up and then come run us all off?
Old 09-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Launching!

lol we saw a cop at pinemont come around the corner too fast at an inersection and take out like 6 big bushes in the median, funniest thing was He never slowed down hell i think he floored when he saw the bushes, there was like 5 f-bodys at the light we were all just lookin at each other laughing our asses off. i used to race my 96 Comp T/A at Brittmore too bad they put speed bumps on that road cause it was perfect and i lived right around the corner. i miss the days of the cops just running you off, i remember my friend being at Brittmore one night when they blocked off all the exits with busses and trapped everyone in the business park then they arrested everyone and towed everyones vehicles. Rankin was awsome till they built the area up it used to be in the middle of nowhere now theres apartments like 100 yards from where we used to race sux but it was fun back in the day. my grandpa tells me storys about his 55 chevy and how he would run from cops all the time and about how it wasn't that big a deal back in the day i think that over time the crack down on street racing is gonna get worse and worse...WE NEED MORE TRACKS DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Ken
TECH Regular

I remeber in the late 90s a red miata that was turboed. It raced a vette and won by quite a bit. From that night on nobody wanted any of the miata! Hahahaha.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Ken
TECH Regular

Oh yeah and then there was a white ss camro that was on fats and skinnies with slicks that pulled the wheels behind the titty bar. It was during the day time and it was a ironblock ls1 motor and th400. I think he had a 2 step and a trans brake.this was prolly around 2001-2002.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:12 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
yea i remember that one. that was neuhaus street. then there was the road behind the airstrip that everyone played on. someone got killed on it so they put poles in the middle of it. then eventually just dug it all up.. then theres the area where the 610 ship channel bridge sits. before that was ever built it was a 6 lane wide dead end road that everyone ran on.
Just what I was thinking Joe. I was going there in 84 with my neighbors friends.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dad has videos
of him drag racing and cops and border patrol watching the races.
crazy stuff how things have changed so much since back then,
Old 04-22-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

249 Starbucks was so bad ***. I can't tell you how many times I stood in that parking lot.

Quick Reply: Any oldies remember rankin?