Why did I pick engineering as my major?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009 | 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by daniel6718
ryan keep with it good things will come...and next time your in town stop by the shop...been building tons of lt1 cars...and lmk if you know anyone that needs work
im trying, and i will stop by for sure. i should be coming in town in a few weeks after all my first tests are done.
Old 09-26-2009 | 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 69gto96z
im trying, and i will stop by for sure. i should be coming in town in a few weeks after all my first tests are done.
Yeah, I remember having study sessions like a week or so before exams that wouldn't end until about 4-5 in the morning. Of course, there were the obligatory halo breaks in order to make sure we didn't lose our complete concentration!
Old 09-26-2009 | 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Krab
Yeah, I remember having study sessions like a week or so before exams that wouldn't end until about 4-5 in the morning. Of course, there were the obligatory halo breaks in order to make sure we didn't lose our complete concentration!
Yup, im actually in a hmwk session right now that is looking like atleast a 2am night for sure, with come call of duty breaks here and there.
Old 09-27-2009 | 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Yep, gotta love Xbox Live and COD4 W@W!
Old 09-27-2009 | 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KCS
Thanks for the reply. I remember you telling me about all the crap you went through. That is one thing I am trying to avoid. I'm at Lonestar too, so it seems I really need to check and double check on that. Other than that issue, I am down for the schoolwork! Thanks for the heads up.
Kent? lol..I didn't know you changed your screen name....unless I'm crazy, which I'm not ruling out, you were KCW... So you're joining the M.E. Darkside too?

No problem on the heads up....better watch those ********...
Old 09-28-2009 | 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

sounds like you're just at the beginning... hold on to your butt.
Old 09-28-2009 | 06:29 PM

I know it is probably a question most all engineering students ask themselves. Every semester in school is hard, but this one tops it all. I am struggling very much with statics/dynamics and electricity and magnetism. It seems like no matter how much time I spend on the stuff, more keeps piling up and I keep falling behind. This degree is STRESSFUL. It seems likes I am always studying while everyone else is having a social life. Working 25 hours a week probably doesn't help me either. Okay, enough ranting, I know it will be worth it when I finish. Gotta get back to studying.
You aren't allowed to have a life in engineering.
Old 09-28-2009 | 06:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01camaro3.7
or pilot training
Old 09-28-2009 | 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01camaro3.7
Ain't that the truth. It's ok, when you're off on an intership, you'll have some spare time and a good amount of extra cash to party!
Old 09-28-2009 | 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

It will take me 9 years to graduate with only a BSME @ UH. I went to community college for 4 years because I work full time, took all the wrong classes, and had now idea what I wanted to major in for 2 years.

Now I have been at UH for over a year now and am only able to take 2 classes a semester, so its gonna take me about 3.5 years more to finish everything up. I literally hate it. Everyone always tells me that I will miss college when I finish, **** THAT. I cannot wait to graduate.

When I graduate, the company I work at now, will have a spot for me with a large increase in pay. So when I am done, I work the same amount of hours, easier work, triple pay increase, decreased load due to NO SCHOOL, and a social life, so what will I be missing...?

Keep at it man, its tough but it will be worth it
Old 09-29-2009 | 11:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
It will take me 9 years to graduate with only a BSME @ UH. I went to community college for 4 years because I work full time, took all the wrong classes, and had now idea what I wanted to major in for 2 years.

Now I have been at UH for over a year now and am only able to take 2 classes a semester, so its gonna take me about 3.5 years more to finish everything up. I literally hate it. Everyone always tells me that I will miss college when I finish, **** THAT. I cannot wait to graduate.

When I graduate, the company I work at now, will have a spot for me with a large increase in pay. So when I am done, I work the same amount of hours, easier work, triple pay increase, decr.eased load due to NO SCHOOL, and a social life, so what will I be missing...?

True that. Most people tend to glorify the whole college life thing. It all depends on what you do. If you go to a major university, then yeah I'm sure there are plenty of parties/girls and you should take advantage of it while you're there. And I could see why you might miss it.

Then there are people like me who have gone to career/tech school (or a community college) that really doesn't offer much of a social scene, so we're just there to get through the training so we can get certified and start making $$$. This is more of a cut the BS and get down to business type experience.
Old 09-29-2009 | 11:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1

When I graduate, the company I work at now, will have a spot for me with a large increase in pay. So when I am done, I work the same amount of hours, easier work, triple pay increase, decr.eased load due to NO SCHOOL, and a social life, so what will I be missing...?

True that. Most people tend to glorify the whole college life thing. It all depends on what you do. If you go to a major university, then yeah I'm sure there are some plenty of parties/girls and you should take advantage of it while you're there. And I could see why you might miss it.

Then there are people like me who have gone to career/tech school (or a community college) that really doesn't offer much of a social scene, so we're just there to get through the training so we can get certified and start making $$$. This is more of a cut the BS and get down to business type experience.
Old 09-29-2009 | 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member
10 Year Member20 Year Member

A few more semesters left and I am done. Jeez.... it will be worth it though.
Old 09-29-2009 | 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigBronco
A few more semesters left and I am done. Jeez.... it will be worth it though.
yeah right man, you got like 2 yrs plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
Old 09-29-2009 | 11:50 AM
Teching In

Feel ur pain, had many friends struggle like hell when I was getting a ME degree at A&M. I found what worked for me right away, school always came easy, you will find it eventually so don't give up just try to do things differently until it works.

This is what worked for me and I worked 35hrs/wk for the first two years: Never miss class unless deadly ill and never go to class wasted, falling behind is the worse case scenario, period. Pay attention in class, I mean really pay attention, and ask questions during/after class. Get to know ur profs, it helps, when they grade papers/tests they will take another minute to look at where you f'd up to give partial credit (may also get cool lab jobs or help desk jobs rather than flip'g burgers like I did for two years, may get offers to grad school as well). Hang out on campus with those nerdy smart students, doesn't matter if they are cool or pretty, they know how to get it done in school, make sure you get them as project team members.

Final suggestions, work out rather than go out, going out and/or drinking kills too much time. If you must party(e.g. drugs, etc) then do it while at work, if into women then do a girlfriend at home rather than club hopin. Alcohol really saps time, hard to study while drinking, and recovery period is too long compared to alternatives.
Old 09-29-2009 | 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by twokrx7
Feel ur pain, had many friends struggle like hell when I was getting a ME degree at A&M. I found what worked for me right away, school always came easy, you will find it eventually so don't give up just try to do things differently until it works.

This is what worked for me and I worked 35hrs/wk for the first two years: Never miss class unless deadly ill and never go to class wasted, falling behind is the worse case scenario, period. Pay attention in class, I mean really pay attention, and ask questions during/after class. Get to know ur profs, it helps, when they grade papers/tests they will take another minute to look at where you f'd up to give partial credit (may also get cool lab jobs or help desk jobs rather than flip'g burgers like I did for two years, may get offers to grad school as well). Hang out on campus with those nerdy smart students, doesn't matter if they are cool or pretty, they know how to get it done in school, make sure you get them as project team members.

Final suggestions, work out rather than go out, going out and/or drinking kills too much time. If you must party(e.g. drugs, etc) then do it while at work, if into women then do a girlfriend at home rather than club hopin. Alcohol really saps time, hard to study while drinking, and recovery period is too long compared to alternatives.
This is great advice
Old 09-29-2009 | 12:02 PM
KCS
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by A_W_O_L
Kent? lol..I didn't know you changed your screen name....unless I'm crazy, which I'm not ruling out, you were KCW... So you're joining the M.E. Darkside too?

No problem on the heads up....better watch those ********...
Yep, KCS are my initials. The machinist thing just isn't satisfying enough, and with the GIBill and Hazelwood Act, I'd be crazy not to at least get a Bachelor's degree.

I emailed the senior admissions counselor at UT for guidance and she gave me some good advice. Looks like I should be fine if I keep my GPA where it is, right about 3.6 at the minimum, and keep working on my math skills.

Good hearing from you again, keep in touch!
Old 09-29-2009 | 12:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by twokrx7
excellent time management lol
Old 09-29-2009 | 04:39 PM
On The Tree

I am waiting on a student loan to get here and I am quitting my job. I really don't want to go into debt with loans but I cant handle school, job, and fraternity anymore. Ive got to cut something out of the mix, and my job will give me an extra 20 to 25 hours a week, and all day tues thurs to go to help sessions.
don't worry about debt right now...if you're any good you will make up that money pretty fast. engineers make plenty of money.
Old 09-29-2009 | 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

dude i've been feeling the SAME EXACT WAY, im doing ME at texas tech. It makes me want to drop out of college all together. I can study 24/7 and still not understand everything. it's really annoying to put all your time and effort into something and still not be prepared. I am having a tough time with thermodynamics right now(really tough time) and i still have to take thermodynamics 2... school has never been for me though. I think I have ADD

I want to call up and my dad tell him I'm changing my major to English lol or teaching

x2 on solution manuals, it's really pointless to do problems out the book IF YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW IF YOU ARE DOING THEM RIGHT. My statics teacher uses a book that the solution manual is not out yet(he did this on purpose), statics seems easy (right now atleast) but without answers to problems you don't know if you have the right answer or not

Last edited by TXjeepTJ; 09-29-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Why did I pick engineering as my major?