Why did I pick engineering as my major?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
I emailed the senior admissions counselor at UT for guidance and she gave me some good advice. Looks like I should be fine if I keep my GPA where it is, right about 3.6 at the minimum, and keep working on my math skills.
Yeah...the math kinda sucks!

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
x2 on solution manuals, it's really pointless to do problems out the book IF YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW IF YOU ARE DOING THEM RIGHT. My statics teacher uses a book that the solution manual is not out yet(he did this on purpose), statics seems easy (right now atleast) but without answers to problems you don't know if you have the right answer or not
Did you check cramster.com to see if they have that book? They may not, but it would be worth a shot...I've heard good things about that site...
Old 09-30-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by A_W_O_L
Yeah...the math kinda sucks!

Did you check cramster.com to see if they have that book? They may not, but it would be worth a shot...I've heard good things about that site...
yea, checked cramster, only have the 8th edition of our book.. I need 9th edition(the problems arn't the same either).. Checked everywhere for this statics solutions manual and cannot find it anywhere (went through 20 pages of google search)

the book is called "Vector Mechanics for Engineers: STATICS" 9th edition by: Beer, johnston and eisenberg
Old 09-30-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea, checked cramster, only have the 8th edition of our book.. I need 9th edition(the problems arn't the same either).. Checked everywhere for this statics solutions manual and cannot find it anywhere (went through 20 pages of google search)

the book is called "Vector Mechanics for Engineers: STATICS" 9th edition by: Beer, johnston and eisenberg
I still have my statics book. We used Engineering Mechanics STATICS by hibbler
Old 09-30-2009, 11:44 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

dude i've been feeling the SAME EXACT WAY, im doing ME at texas tech. It makes me want to drop out of college all together. I can study 24/7 and still not understand everything. it's really annoying to put all your time and effort into something and still not be prepared. I am having a tough time with thermodynamics right now(really tough time) and i still have to take thermodynamics 2... school has never been for me though. I think I have ADD
1. Join an engineering society like the ASME group, or any other of the dozens of engineering societies at your school. Sometimes it is easier to learn in groups, and most of these societies have 24hr study rooms.

2. Don't be afraid to talk to your professors or their assistants before/after class. That is what they are there for, to educate you. You aren't limited to just talking with them during class, so make use of that out-of-class time too.

Now tell yourself, 1000's of people have already done this degree before you have. Are you really more stupid than those people? Nope. So, suck it up and get busy. You only have to suffer a few short years of your life.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
1. Join an engineering society like the ASME group, or any other of the dozens of engineering societies at your school. Sometimes it is easier to learn in groups, and most of these societies have 24hr study rooms.

2. Don't be afraid to talk to your professors or their assistants before/after class. That is what they are there for, to educate you. You aren't limited to just talking with them during class, so make use of that out-of-class time too.

Now tell yourself, 1000's of people have already done this degree before you have. Are you really more stupid than those people? Nope. So, suck it up and get busy. You only have to suffer a few short years of your life.
It also helps to learn how to study and what fits you best. I preferred to study in the mornings. I would get up and start cranking at 6:30 am all week. Once I got in a regular routine, it got easier and easier.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

hell I love college and I really don't care for the amount and difficulty of the work ...but thats because I have decent study skills and I know when to study and I know what works best for me and I love engineering. Thats the only way to do it. Essentially I know it gets to repetition, but study skills are everything and if you don't like math, engr, or anything related to it I suggest you change major.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why dont you change out your tampon, insert a fresh new one, chill out and think about how wonderful life will be after ME.

I decided not to go that route anymore, but i know you can figure it out bro. You are way better at math than i am lol.

Quit ******* Mobil already, im about to do the same, and concentrate on school.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Nineball's got a point - you will sacrifice your social life for 4 to 5yrs...but you will make it up over the course of the following 35yrs. I promise! (I'm a mechanical engineer and worked under Nineball for a time at a subsea installation company for the Oil & Gas Industry). The money you make out of college will blow your mind! If you play your cards right, and don't rack up a ****-ton of debt (educational debt is exempt, to a certain level anyway) you'll be making more money than you can spend. (And finding a significant other who is also an engineer is also a bonus as well. Double engineer income!.

I remember pulling all nighters for physics tests where the bell curve was 30%. So don't take it to heart if you **** up a test or two. I knw how they can drag you down. But those are weed-out classes. Just tell yourself "**** that ****" and hit the books hard. Build a study group (which I don't know how I would've survived without btw). Hound your professors for help.

5yrs of hell is a small price to pay for 35yrs of stable living! Once you become an engineer the sky is really the limit. Engineering crosses over into a lot of sub-fields, so don't be surprised if in 15yrs you're doing something engineering related, but nothing like you were expecting!

Now quit bitching and get back to studying! If you've found time to type here and read these responses you're not studying hard enough! Got get it done!

Good luck!! Trust me, you'll survive!
Old 10-01-2009, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KCS
I plan on going into ME once I finish my Associates here at a community college here in Conroe. Any advice?
If you are good with computers go Software Eng...It isn't as "glamorous" as EE or ME, but jobs are EVERYWHERE.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:04 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Injected1
If you are good with computers go Software Eng...It isn't as "glamorous" as EE or ME, but jobs are EVERYWHERE.
Haha, no I hate computers. My long term goal is to be one of these guys you read about designing parts for the racing industry. I'd kill to be into NASCAR/Indy type stuff, or for GMPP or FRPP, but there are other markets I'm interested in.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OHHH!!!! then you need to go to automotive engineering, not ME. I know this because I had a friend who transfered from UF to Clemson to drop out of ME masters and get into AE masters.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:08 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

OHHH!!!! then you need to go to automotive engineering, not ME. I know this because I had a friend who transfered from UF to Clemson to drop out of ME masters and get into AE masters.
Really? I thought all of these guys I've been reading about had ME degrees.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Won't matter...a me is fine.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:33 AM
TECH Resident

I don't know any AE's, but... From what I've gathered... ME's to AE's would be splitting hairs... Ones more specialized than the other... But {edit} not {/edit] necessarily "better".... Just a little more specific...

... Then again it might be a misconception..

{edit} gotta love posting from iPhone..hard to catch errors {/edit}

Last edited by A_W_O_L; 10-02-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:43 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

The ME degree is better than an AE degree. The more you specialize, the fewer the job opportunities exist. You can get an automotive job with an ME degree, but you will have a harder time finding a non-automotive job with an AE degree. Don't limit yourself.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by texas94z
Why dont you change out your tampon, insert a fresh new one, chill out and think about how wonderful life will be after ME.

I decided not to go that route anymore, but i know you can figure it out bro. You are way better at math than i am lol.

Quit ******* Mobil already, im about to do the same, and concentrate on school.
I want to quit, but i need the money until my loan gets here, which will be a couple more weeks. Now I am waiting on UNT to certify it, and their slow *** takes forever.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
This is good stuff. I am getting to the point now where everyone around me has a social life, and I am drifting farther from making that a priority. I could care less right now, I just want to get this stuff done and get the hell out of here.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 69gto96z
I want to quit, but i need the money until my loan gets here, which will be a couple more weeks. Now I am waiting on UNT to certify it, and their slow *** takes forever.
I didn't know UNT had an ME degree. Interesting.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya man I live at the Forum... I thought I saw you pullin in a couple weeks ago. Im a little farther behind you in the ME plan. Im an idiot and didnt decide to do MET until my 3rd year. So right now im in a shitty spot because ive done literally every basic and im almost a senior so I cant take a full load every semester because of all the prereq's, this semester im only taking 3 classes but its 12 hours since they all have a lab.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 11secLS1
I didn't know UNT had an ME degree. Interesting.
They have had MET for a while, but they just started up Mechanical and Energy Engineering fall 07

Quick Reply: Why did I pick engineering as my major?