Why did I pick engineering as my major?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Why did I pick engineering as my major?

I know it is probably a question most all engineering students ask themselves. Every semester in school is hard, but this one tops it all. I am struggling very much with statics/dynamics and electricity and magnetism. It seems like no matter how much time I spend on the stuff, more keeps piling up and I keep falling behind. This degree is STRESSFUL. It seems likes I am always studying while everyone else is having a social life. Working 25 hours a week probably doesn't help me either. Okay, enough ranting, I know it will be worth it when I finish. Gotta get back to studying.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:21 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is very much worth it. I remember setting in the library for 12 hours straight studying for a test only to make a damn C on it (and I graduated with a 3.79 MCL lol). I remember getting no sleep at night, taking a test at 8am, crashing after the test, and not waking up until the next day. It ******* blows.

I'm guessing you are around 2nd year with those classes? When I got into the "major specific" classes, I found it to be much easier. You really start to "learn how to learn" the farther you go. The past 3 semesters or so, I didn't study NEARLY as much, and I made better grades. If you understand the material in class, the test stuff comes naturally. Also, solutions manuals are your friend. Not so much that you don't have to do the homework, but you have a guide right in front of you to explain what's going on.

I just graduated in May and I have an awesome job. Try to do some co-op's during the summer/etc and get in as much experience as you can. I remember thinking I would never get through it. It really gets stressful when you take classes during your last year, and if you fail one, it will put off your graduation for a whole year. But, by that point, if you are making an effort and the professors know it, it's pretty damn hard not to pass. I could have skipped all the tests in a few classes and my professors would have let me make it out somehow.

PS - I was making $29/hr the last co-op I worked.

Last edited by TheBlurLS1; 09-24-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

That would make it worth it. I am trying to get to where I don't have to work so I can spend my off days studying. I am actually starting my 4th year, I was unsure of what I wanted to do, and switched from computer engineering, to mechanical technology, to ME. So I mainly focused on my basics the first 2 years, and then started in all my math and science last year. I am trying to cram it into 5 years, but I have a LOT to take over the next 3 semesters. Luckily i have 1 easy class this semester, linear algebra, that class makes my day since algebra comes easy to me.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:59 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

I plan on going into ME once I finish my Associates here at a community college here in Conroe. Any advice?
Old 09-25-2009, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

From my view, get your math and science core done early, and make sure you understand the basics of trig.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are in the weed out classes now. Stick it out. Bear down and get thru it. It will pay its dues in the long run. Been there done it and never regretted it.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:12 AM
Teching In

man im in your same shoes right now heck im posting this while studying for a damn thermo test i got tomorrow

and also to THEBLURLS1 you went to Lamar University right if so got any tips for a student of mechanical engineer
Old 09-25-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am studying for a electricity and magnetism test right now, and I have statics next week. **** gets crazy
Old 09-25-2009, 01:27 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I started off as a mechanical engineer major and made the switch over to computer science my freshman year. It was too much for me, and very nerve racking/boring. I've loved CS since, and don't regret making the change at all. I figured I was better at computers/OSs/programming than I am at math/stats/dynamics/thermal energy/whatever

You should reconsider what you really LOVE and have a passion for, rather than thinking about dollar bills after you graduate. No matter how much money engineers make, I would rather be in a nice cozy office programming the next AAA title for the XBOX 360.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

In my company world wide there are a lot of engineers that dont have engineering degrees (me included). you will learn 80% on the job the learning never stops in this feild.

Hell most of the mech engineers think it is a joke how little of there school knowledge gets used they just plan meetings and do basic algebra when math is required.

Keep pushing through and nothing but good things can come from finishing your degree.

Last edited by tittan1500; 09-25-2009 at 02:10 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:38 AM
12 Second Club

Don't think I could handle a mech eng degree but my degree isn't what most would call easy.. Just do what you love and make sure that you have interest in it, if you don't then you'll end up hating it real fast. If I didn't have a great interest in what makes the human body tick I would never get myself drowned in student loans, I would suggest the same with your mech eng degree. All the best luck
Old 09-25-2009, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ME is fun!!!!!11!!!! I am about to graduate though.... can't wait. Senior year is fun with all the hands on work and access to pretty much anything i need.

Statics is tough. I hated that class (probably cause' it was taught by julio G dicks) .. i'm in dynamics right now and I like it a lot more. You apply some basic concepts from statics but you should be able to grasp it a lot easier.

E&M, circuits and devices, power systems, digital electronics.. those classes were cake to me though.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:11 AM
Teching In

**** try handling a part time job, a broken car and a double major in two fields separate from each other (Accounting, and Electrical Engineering) and then pursuing a MBA. I sometimes wig out and find myself starring off into space thinking "How did I get here?!"
Old 09-25-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tittan1500

Hell most of the mech engineers think it is a joke how little of there school knowledge gets used they just plan meetings and do basic algebra when math is required.

Damn, ya caught me!

ME is such a big field you learn a ton of stuff in school and then only use 10% of it when you get out. Everything else is learned on the job and is specific to the company/field your working for.

The day before graduation you'll have more general information than you'll have for the rest of your life!
Old 09-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Launching!

your not the only one im also ME major although im still in my basics i still find it tough and wonder how i will deal with it. but ill find one way or another
Old 09-25-2009, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

I would just give up. It sounds hard.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Launching!

It's worth it if you can tough it out. My cousin graduated with an engineering degree and she made bank right out of school.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

im in the same boat as you are bro... this is my 5th year in college but only my second year in ME. I almost gave up at cal 1 lol. Are you in MET or MEE? Seems like every semester I get a bad grade on one of my first tests and I just wanna quit and go into a business degree or something but I know I would hate being in an office all day doing paper work. I think in the long run we will definately enjoy it, I just dont want a job that I hate going to... if it makes alot of money or not.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by KCS
I plan on going into ME once I finish my Associates here at a community college here in Conroe. Any advice?
get ready to sit down and crunch some numbers
Old 09-25-2009, 06:30 PM
Teching In

I hate to say it but the hardest part of many careers right now is not so much the actual training, but the networking and finding a job.

Quick Reply: Why did I pick engineering as my major?