Finally found lowering springs that I like. Better than Strano Springs??

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally found lowering springs that I like. Better than Strano Springs??

Well the answer to that is hell no but I did a little experiment and really like the results. Over the past year or so, I've been hopping around from spring to spring just trying to find one that has the drop I like, but the stiffness to handle it. I've gone through Bmr's, Eibach's, Strano's, Hotchis, etc., but was never really happy. The Strano Springs were hands down, no doubt about it, the most comfortable and best handling but they were just barely too high for me (not to mention someone was offering me really good money for them lol). I was searching through old threads the other day and came across a few about some guys wondering if they could use LT1 springs on a LS1. This got me thinking...what if I took a set of springs from an LT1 that have a very low drop and put them on an LS1? Well when it comes to extreme drops, it's hard to beat Eibach Sportlines lol. So, I found a set of brand new Sportlines for a 93-97 LT1 and put them on at work today. I wasn't really expecting this to turn out well...but it did! The end result was (in my opinion of course) a near perfect drop and a MUCH stiffer spring. Now don't get me wrong, they don't ride like Strano's but they ride very well. I drove around for a good hour or so on some of the most bumpy, rough, and cornering roads and I was pretty impressed. Didn't do the horrible bottoming out that I've seen and felt with the LS1 Sportlines and they don't slam the car quite like the LS1 Sportlines. In my opinion, these should have been made for the LS1 in the first place.

Here are some pics:

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-08-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think it will look a lot better if I can get my hands on some damn 18's for the front. Anyone got any??
Old 10-08-2009, 10:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think it looks pretty good with the 17s up front. i sometimes contemplate changing springs to go lower(have hotchkis springs/koni shocks) but i cant imagine my exhaust surviving anything lower
Old 10-08-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
i think it looks pretty good with the 17s up front. i sometimes contemplate changing springs to go lower(have hotchkis springs/koni shocks) but i cant imagine my exhaust surviving anything lower

yeah these springs actually raised the car from where it was sitting. my lt's are very happy about the switch lol
Old 10-08-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

sets perfect...kickass car bro
Old 10-09-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by '02SOMz28
sets perfect...kickass car bro

thanks man!
Old 10-09-2009, 01:44 AM
EW1
Launching!

Do you have any front lowering springs you are looking to sell?
Old 10-09-2009, 03:52 AM
On The Tree

Nice ride man, I'm suffering with the eibach sportlines on my LS1.. i'm looking to get something to raise my car enough for the headers.. I love how low my car sits but i'm beginning to think it's actually too low. I would never make it down the driveway with the QTPs I want after the installation with my car as low as it is. What did you think of the BMRs? And if you don't mind me asking ... How is your ground clearence now?
Old 10-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Teching In

I went the same route on my V6. The LT1 i got the sportlines from was actually tucking the tires!
Old 10-09-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Brian'sCharlotte(TA)
Nice ride man, I'm suffering with the eibach sportlines on my LS1.. i'm looking to get something to raise my car enough for the headers.. I love how low my car sits but i'm beginning to think it's actually too low. I would never make it down the driveway with the QTPs I want after the installation with my car as low as it is. What did you think of the BMRs? And if you don't mind me asking ... How is your ground clearence now?
The BMR's were pretty good. They give it a nice drop but they're nowhere near as low as what you have. I'd suggest throwing some coilovers on the front so after the header install, you can adjust to the perfect setting for your application.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 14SecV6
I went the same route on my V6. The LT1 i got the sportlines from was actually tucking the tires!
yeah it's crazy how low they are! i like a low stance, but damn lol
Old 10-09-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by EW1
Do you have any front lowering springs you are looking to sell?
I just took off some Bilstein BTS lowering springs. They sit very similar, if not a little lower, than the ones in the pics. I actually have the full set of Bilsteins. I ended up taking a 1/4 of a coil off the fronts to make them sit just right with the rears.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Brian'sCharlotte(TA)
Oh and btw, clearance is GREAT now. I just got back from the exhaust shop a couple hours ago. I had them build me a custom Y and they tucked it WAY up compared to where it was. My subframe connectors actually sit level with the exhaust now, it's awesome
Old 10-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Launching!

looks good. you're right about the Stranos, I love mine
Old 10-09-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I saw you up at George's Muffler. Great looking car.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn that thing sits clean!!! im also looking into shocks/springs also. im thinking of running those BMR lowering springs.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:14 PM
12 Second Club

man I wanna lower mine but am scared to lose anything at the track? what do you suggest? any of the springs you test would you recommend for drag or should I go coil overs?
Old 10-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RonniesLS1
man I wanna lower mine but am scared to lose anything at the track? what do you suggest? any of the springs you test would you recommend for drag or should I go coil overs?
Strano says his are for racing, but I think that's really more for autocross than anything, although they do perform pretty well in the 1/4. coilovers are the best for the track, but they'll beat your kidneys out of your body on the street. you're going to have to give and take a little with either, you just have to decide what's more important to you
Old 10-10-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any idea as to how much these lower the car as compared to stock height?
Old 10-10-2009, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
Strano says his are for racing, but I think that's really more for autocross than anything, although they do perform pretty well in the 1/4. coilovers are the best for the track, but they'll beat your kidneys out of your body on the street. you're going to have to give and take a little with either, you just have to decide what's more important to you
well thanks for the info.... I have heard strano springs are good to have and I want mine lowered cuz it's too high... plus i'm getting a different DD so I got a decision to make now lol

Quick Reply: Finally found lowering springs that I like. Better than Strano Springs??