Texas vS Bama

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think alabama is going to win the NC, its funny on how people keep comparing this to the USC NC game if i remember correctly USC that year had one of the worst defenses but was overshowed by their offense, on the otherhand alabama has the top ranked defense this year.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Texas Director

Alabama has a good team, but they're not unbeatable. They should have lost to Tennessee and they were only a last-second field goal block from losing that game. I can promise you that this will be a close game and that there is no way Bama blows out Texas. BTW, Gerhart > Ingram.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:46 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mmiller
Alabama has a good team, but they're not unbeatable. They should have lost to Tennessee and they were only a last-second field goal block from losing that game. I can promise you that this will be a close game and that there is no way Bama blows out Texas. BTW, Gerhart > Ingram.
what he said!!

don't forget about auburn too!!
Old 12-14-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eventhough Toby Gerhart is a badass, current times require the heisman to be on a championship caliber team. I know there are not alot of Mark Ingram fans here but the guy has been consistent, with the exception of a few games where the passing game was more effective. What won it for him was the SEC championship. He was considered in 5 place after Auburn (got hurt), but he was the best performer hands down during championship week against the reigning champions, and the number 1 defense rated in the country. If Stanford had made the Pac 10 championship game Toby Gerhart would have won it. The one thing Suh had against him winning is that he is on defense. Think they usually do one a century. Can only recall Woodson and Warren Sapp in the past 20. This is expected b/c every always talks big offense, especially when considering the defensive front. As with the O-line, they get little to no credit. A good O-line is like the red headed step child of a good offense.

BTW, this years Longhorn team would have lost to USC and Texas in 05. Colt walked away with like 4 trophy's so I doubt he will be fired up just b/c he didn't win the hiesman.

Last edited by redz_02; 12-14-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Texas Director

Originally Posted by redz_02
Eventhough Toby Gerhart is a badass, current times require the heisman to be on a championship caliber team. I know there are not alot of Mark Ingram fans here but the guy has been consistent, with the exception of a few games where the passing game was more effective. What won it for him was the SEC championship. He was considered in 5 place after Auburn (got hurt), but he was the best performer hands down during championship week against the reigning champions, and the number 1 defense rated in the country. If Stanford had made the Pac 10 championship game Toby Gerhart would have won it. The one thing Suh had against him winning is that he is on defense. Think they usually do one a century. Can only recall Woodson and Warren Sapp in the past 20. This is expected b/c every always talks big offense, especially when considering the defensive front. As with the O-line, they get little to no credit. A good O-line is like the red headed step child of a good offense.

BTW, this years Longhorn team would have lost to USC and Texas in 05. Colt walked away with like 4 trophy's so I doubt he will be fired up just b/c he didn't win the hiesman.
Not true. Many voters base their vote more on a guy on a winning team, but there is no "requirement". Gerhart clearly had the better numbers and should have won it. I think what worked against him was that he was a virtual unknown to start the season and with him playing on the west coast and many of the voters being on the east coast, they didn't get a chance to watch a lot of his games since they were played so late. I'm not saying that Ingram isn't a good player and isn't worthy of consideration, I just think that Gerhart was the better, more deserving player.

BTW, Warren Sapp didn't win a Heisman and the Pac 10 doesn't have a championship game.

Last edited by mmiller; 12-14-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not true. Many voters base their vote more on a guy on a winning team, but there is no "requirement". Gerhart clearly had the better numbers and should have won it. I think what worked against him was that he was a virtual unknown to start the season and with him playing on the west coast and many of the voters being on the east coast, they didn't get a chance to watch a lot of his games since they were played so late. I'm not saying that Ingram isn't a good player and isn't worthy of consideration, I just think that Gerhart was the better, more deserving player. BTW, the Pac 10 doesn't have a championship game.
Read Thursday Dec 3rd.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...is-on-the-line

If there is not one, they sure do try to make it look like there is one.

As for Stanford, we'll see how Toby does against OU in the Sun Bowl. He will probably be awarded as the college athlete of the year considering he starts on a ranked/solid baseball program, and is a top student. If he was in the top five or at least a BCS bowl, he would have won the heisman.

Candidates for next year should be interesting.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

True, Warren Sapp didn't win it, can't remember, but there was another candidate that was a defensive player one year. Not worth my time to google. So Charles Woodson, who was not only a CB, played wideout and returned punts. He was my role model when I played highschool football.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Texas Director

Hugh Green won a Heisman in the 70's
Old 12-14-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't see hugh green, but that's beside the point, maybe 2-3 defensive player's have won it since it started. Then again back in the 30's and 40's most players went both ways.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't see hugh green, but that's beside the point, maybe 2-3 defensive player's have won it since it started. Then again back in the 30's and 40's most players went both ways.
i thought woodson was the only defensive player to have won it? Im happy for Ingram and Bama, but I would not have been upset if gerhart would have won. solid athlete that carried his team week in and week out. he put up better numbers than ingram, but there is no way i would say he is a better HB than ingram.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
i thought woodson was the only defensive player to have won it? Im happy for Ingram and Bama, but I would not have been upset if gerhart would have won. solid athlete that carried his team week in and week out. he put up better numbers than ingram, but there is no way i would say he is a better HB than ingram.
He was, and probably will be as long as the trophy is given.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:52 PM
Texas Director

My bad. I thought Hugh Green won one, but he didn't. He actually finished 2nd to George Rogers in 1980.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

I was wondering what would be the reason that a player like Suh wouldn't get it?
Old 12-15-2009, 07:30 AM
11 Second Club

like someone already said, doesn't exist. Part of the reason the SEC and Big 12 don't like them since there has been many times where a loss in the championship has allowed SC or any Pac 10 team to get into the NC game. The Pac 10 needs to have a championship game!
Old 12-15-2009, 07:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00fastta
I was wondering what would be the reason that a player like Suh wouldn't get it?
It's hard for a defensive player to get it. I heard the stat but don't remember what it was, but very few Defensive players win the Heisman. I think he should have won, but Ingram is still a solid player. I was less then impressed with the Standford guy, but hey it's all popularity anyway
Old 12-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Texas Director

Originally Posted by Domsz06
I was less then impressed with the Stanford guy, but hey it's all popularity anyway
You must not have watched any of his games then. Gerhart is way more impressive of a player than Ingram. The guy is a total beast and a man among boys.

IMO either all conferences should have a championship game or none should have them. It's an unfair advantage to the conferences who don't have one since one of their top teams don't end up with a late season loss.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Teching In

You must not have watched any of his games then. Gerhart is way more impressive of a player than Ingram. The guy is a total beast and a man among boys.

IMO either all conferences should have a championship game or none should have them. It's an unfair advantage to the conferences who don't have one since one of their top teams don't end up with a late season loss.
lol wut. Gerhart is an outstanding player, but defiantly not better then Ingram. But I do agree with you on the championship game, it would make things easier and show the top tier teams IMO.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Domsz06
here we go again.

What if the bama team that played Tenn, or Auburn shows up?

Doesn't matter, great teams find a way to win, I don't think it matters who shows up, UT will win.
Originally Posted by mattLS1
lol wut. Gerhart is an outstanding player, but defiantly not better then Ingram. But I do agree with you on the championship game, it would make things easier and show the top tier teams IMO.
Ingram isn't even the best running back on his team. Richardson and Toby are better running backs than Ingram.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
Ingram isn't even the best running back on his team. Richardson and Toby are better running backs than Ingram.
Obviously Trent Richardson's time will come and he might be better than Ingram. Then again he should be, he was the number one recruit in the state of Florida (just as good as Texas with high school tallent), and the number 6 recruit in the country. However Ingram was the workhorse and will probably enter the draft next year.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:49 AM
11 Second Club

your correct I didn't watch any of his games. I hear he was pretty good.... but i really have no clue.

Quick Reply: Texas vS Bama