will discount tire match tire racks prices

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will discount tire match tire racks prices

just curious because in the searches i did there were multiple different answers
Old 03-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chevy0128
just curious because in the searches i did there were multiple different answers
It's been years, but last time I had them price match they also tacked on the shipping.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have been told yes and no but just had them price match 3 weeks ago. With a whopping $130 savings per tire and yes they added a little shipping but that was half of what i would of payed ordering them of the internet.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Teching In

They will match the Tire Rack price including shipping charges. Take a print-out with you. Watch their "add-ons" for mount balance, disposal, warranty, etc. Latest gimmick is TPS "rebuilds". Which is a crock on relatively new rims. Overall I have been satisfied with Discount price/service.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

i use to work at discount and most of the time they wont balance all your tires . theyll just balance the ones goin to the fronts and the rears just bolt em up !
Old 03-11-2010, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 92-T5
i use to work at discount and most of the time they wont balance all your tires . theyll just balance the ones goin to the fronts and the rears just bolt em up !
That's some bull ****. I use to work for Discount. About 6yrs and we never did crap like that. We knew how to run our back rooms though. You must have been a part timer . If you were a full timer you should not have let **** like that slide. Yes they will match or beat prices.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im in the austin area and they would neither match nor beat onlinetires.com. you guys ever have them match/beat onlinetires.com's price? i understand that online tires' price is simply the tire excluding shipping which is different than what DT has to offer. just wondering what other peoples experiences were like.

i did get $15 off my $215 dollar tires though.

i simply hate seeing how the techs treat everyones cars/wheels/tires like they are garbage though.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what the!?!?!? ummm no i work at discount tire, have been for almost 4 years now, and we NEVER just balance the fronts, ESPEACIALLY if you paid for it... that is a no no buddy... you can get in a lot of trouble if someone pays for something and you dont do the service, im sure the BBB would have something to say about that...

Originally Posted by jdoyle
im in the austin area and they would neither match nor beat onlinetires.com. you guys ever have them match/beat onlinetires.com's price? i understand that online tires' price is simply the tire excluding shipping which is different than what DT has to offer. just wondering what other peoples experiences were like.

i simply hate seeing how the techs treat everyones cars/wheels/tires like they are garbage though.
i hate to agree with you, but some of the techs just dont understand... they dont have to have any knowledge about cars to work there, they get hardly any training, the training the get is by working in the back room... although if anyone that came to my store and has a f-body or really any car that i like i will be more than happy to work on it and make sure EVERYTHING is done precise... i have mounted up some tires for some tech members, and have had no complaints.

to the OP yes they will match tirerack.com or onlinetires.com BUT they will prob tack on a "shipping" charge and then the usual 15 to mount n **** and 2.50 to throw away the old tires... but if you buy the tires somewhere else and want us to mount them then you will end up paying more than if you were to just buy the tires at DTC... they HAVE to match, it's company policy, just bring a print out and you should be good, if they dont want to match just KINDLY ask for the manager and see what he can do, just dont be a dick about it, cause that gets you no where... just FYI
Old 03-12-2010, 12:06 AM
11 Second Club

Go to discounttire.com

say for example you want nitto nt05 245/40/19

do a search on tires............then tire brand, click on nitto.

then find the tire you want. right underneath the price (on the right in red) there is an icon to click on 'find it lower, let us know'

..........................now go to another window and do a google search on nitto nt05 245/40/19 and see what all is out there..........say for example the discount tire price is 250 per tire and tirerack is 210 per tire, all you have to do is copy the link to the tire and price on tirerack.com

you should get this page, ( http://www.dtcsites.com/pricematch/p...fitment=017266 ) fill it out and paste in the tirerack.com link that showed the lower price. Your closest discount tire store by zip code will receive this page you sent them and they will call you the next day and tell you whether they will honor the tirerack.com price or not.......usually they will. Five minutes of work on the computer can save you some real good money.

good luck!
Old 03-12-2010, 07:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdoyle

Ask for the corprate number. They will change their attitude quick. They are supose to match prices. They matched onlinetires price for me about a month ago. They actually hooked me up. They mounted and balanced for FREE and NO charge on shipping and beat onlinetires price by $2.00. That won't happen for every one though.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They wouldn't match the price I found when I went in back in Jan. Something else to keep in mind is that you pay sales tax when going through Discount. I've saved a minimun of $50 and max of over $200 by buying them online, paying shipping, and having NTB mount/balance them.

I've also found that Discount's prices vary by city. I can put in my Zip up here on their
website and get one price, them my old zip from the Houston area and get another. Neither price was as low as going to their discounttiredirect website though. They will match that price and there wasn't a shipping charge either.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Staging Lane

im being serious ! yea i was a tech an i would get bitched at cuz at first i didnt wanna do that , but they just wanna git the car out ! they call it 2:11 , but i guess everyone runs there **** different ! i dont work there no more since i perfer being in the paint booth instead of changin tires !
Old 03-12-2010, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you must have been at a shady location then. i do like to stand at the end of the bay and watch them though... cuz one time they put a directional tire on facing the wrong way, and another time they put on my plastic lug caps on with the gun and broke them. but that is just because the guy was an idiot, not because he was trying to cheat me

but ditto everyone else. bring in a printout off tirerack including shipping. they always ask for it, as they wont just look it up online for you in the store
Old 03-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

im being serious ! yea i was a tech an i would get bitched at cuz at first i didnt wanna do that , but they just wanna git the car out ! they call it 2:11 , but i guess everyone runs there **** different ! i dont work there no more since i perfer being in the paint booth instead of changin tires !
A 2:11 would only be done on cars coming in for a routine RBA. You pull the rears, balance them and put them on the front. The fronts just go straight back. I worked at the Bay Area store years ago.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by old_goat
Go to discounttire.com

say for example you want nitto nt05 245/40/19

do a search on tires............then tire brand, click on nitto.

then find the tire you want. right underneath the price (on the right in red) there is an icon to click on 'find it lower, let us know'

..........................now go to another window and do a google search on nitto nt05 245/40/19 and see what all is out there..........say for example the discount tire price is 250 per tire and tirerack is 210 per tire, all you have to do is copy the link to the tire and price on tirerack.com

you should get this page, ( http://www.dtcsites.com/pricematch/p...fitment=017266 ) fill it out and paste in the tirerack.com link that showed the lower price. Your closest discount tire store by zip code will receive this page you sent them and they will call you the next day and tell you whether they will honor the tirerack.com price or not.......usually they will. Five minutes of work on the computer can save you some real good money.

good luck!
i did this earlier today, hopefully they'll call with good news
Old 03-12-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dickster86
A 2:11 would only be done on cars coming in for a routine RBA. You pull the rears, balance them and put them on the front. The fronts just go straight back. I worked at the Bay Area store years ago.
I would be livid if they did that on my truck considering the tires are M/T's and $$$.

I love when i go in there and they try to rape you. I got a quote for $450 a tire and could buy them online for $320. Discount ended up matching it but it just irritates me that they will try to screw you if you don't know any better. I would prefer going to them because it is the most convenient for me but come on.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had bad experiences at Discount Tire the past few sets of tires I have gotten. I'd rather go elsewhere and pay more. Don't know what happened, they use to have good service.

Back to the topic, I asked about price matching this past year to Tirerack. All I got was "were cheaper after shipping"........blah blah blah. In the end, just another bad service experience that was not worth the money savings.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Teching In

I currently work at discount we do match price!! If your in the Fort Worth area come to the Burleson store and talk to me (Brett) And i will hook you up a good deal. balance your others tires for free if you want. yea we do charge a disposal fee and a mounting and balancing fee! but i can discount that! Just let me know if you wanna do that! Im sorry for all you other guys that have had a bad experience at discount but for me i work on every vehicle as if it was my own! So if you bring your stuff to me i guaranteed you will leave satisfied! And you can stand by my hip the entire time and watch me do it all!!
Old 03-13-2010, 01:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dickster86
beat me to it... lol yeah a 2:11 is only done to vehicles that bought tires from us and are just there for the usual RBA, now if they paid for it, you better bet your pennies they are going to get what they paid for, bottome line.

Originally Posted by sleepersilverado
I would be livid if they did that on my truck considering the tires are M/T's and $$$.

I love when i go in there and they try to rape you. I got a quote for $450 a tire and could buy them online for $320. Discount ended up matching it but it just irritates me that they will try to screw you if you don't know any better. I would prefer going to them because it is the most convenient for me but come on.
i can see your point of view, but let me give you mine and PLEASE try to be open about this and not be rude, im just trying to give you some insight of the techs mindset...

ok you come in with your lets be nice and say 315 70 17 bfg KM2's, and want a rba, oh and you have aftermarket wheels... balancing those can be a real PIA, now it's not the work part we are trying to not do, it's the fact that taking the time to do that takes for ever, not that we dont want to do it right, but when you have 15 cars on the list and cust bitchin cause they have been there and hour and a half, and my boss bitching that we need to work faster and harder, we have to cut some corners here and there... i bet you if i were to rotate and balance your tires and did NOT balance the rears, you would not be able to tell the difference 99 out of 100 times... when i rotate my tires i only balance the ones going to the front, it's not big deal, it doesnt casue any kind of saftey issue, it's all about the mindset of people... but we do not, not balance your tires if you just bought them, or paid for them to be balance, rest assured. i hope i don't get in trouble for saying this... we do try to make the cust. happy but sometimes it is just not plausable.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:34 PM
9 Second Club

Might as well join in...

I had them match onlinetires.com

I also had one of the techs put my car on the lift... and lay it RIGHT on it's y-pipe. He apparently didn't realize I had longtube headers and ory. I walked out there, and saw it right on top on the pipe. I had them take it down, and sure enough, I had to pay to have a shop weld it up just after the y-pipe. At the same visit, when they bolted the wheels back up, the geniuses there put the 17's on the rear and the 18's on the front of the car...

Quick Reply: will discount tire match tire racks prices