huge jackstands or header installer needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default huge jackstands or header installer needed

I know this is a long shot but I'll give it a try. Does anyone around dfw have some HUGE jackstands or a lift I could borrow or rent to take some headers out and install some new ones? All I have are the regular everyday jackstands and I can't get the car high enough in the front to even get the Macs off much less longtubes in. Or if someone can do the install for cheap that has a lift or something, please let me know.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try a near by community college , they may let you use their lift
Old 03-15-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

put stuff under the jackstands. Like 2x4s.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Pwebbz28
put stuff under the jackstands. Like 2x4s.
I don't really want the car falling on me. That don't sound very safe lol. Plus I don't have any. How high does it need to be?
Old 03-15-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its fine if you use something stable I had to do it on mine when i did my kooks.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

will install this weekend for 300. have lift. @ chevrolet dealership
Old 03-16-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Get some cinder blocks. Cheap solution. Do the front and rear and you'll have plenty of clearance if you go a couple high.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS69TA
Get some cinder blocks. Cheap solution. Do the front and rear and you'll have plenty of clearance if you go a couple high.
holy **** do not use ******* cinderblocks if theres one imperfection in the casting of the block you could literaly BUMP it with a wrench or any other metal tool and have the block crumble under the weight of the car. ive seen people use them and not ahve a problem then others as soon as they dropped the car onto the blocks one of them crumbled and let the car fall causing dammage to the rocker panels and ground effects. please if you care about you life at all dont trust your life to some cement blocks with holes in them THEY WERENT MEANT TO BE USED AS JACK STANDS
Old 03-16-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree! Just spend about $10 on 2x4's or find a new construction neighborhood and get some scrap ones and build some 2x4 cribs sized right for the jack stands you have. Cut the 2x4 long enough for the jack stands to stand on and make them like Lincoln Logs, 2 parallel and 2 perpendicular to and on top of them, nail it together. Add layers until you get the height you need. You build these if you are pulling the engine from the bottom, they are handy to have around anyway.

If you get the wood from construction scrap it will probably be full of nails you can pull and reuse so it's a free tool!
Old 03-16-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slow96z
I agree! Just spend about $10 on 2x4's or find a new construction neighborhood and get some scrap ones and build some 2x4 cribs sized right for the jack stands you have. Cut the 2x4 long enough for the jack stands to stand on and make them like Lincoln Logs, 2 parallel and 2 perpendicular to and on top of them, nail it together. Add layers until you get the height you need. You build these if you are pulling the engine from the bottom, they are handy to have around anyway.

If you get the wood from construction scrap it will probably be full of nails you can pull and reuse so it's a free tool!
That sounds alot safer. Wood is not going to crumble lol. My driveway is sort of uphill also that that bothers me as well. I'll figure something out. Someone said I need to drop the transmission to get the driver side Mac out, can that be true? That would really suck if so.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by edzsilverss
That sounds alot safer. Wood is not going to crumble lol. My driveway is sort of uphill also that that bothers me as well. I'll figure something out. Someone said I need to drop the transmission to get the driver side Mac out, can that be true? That would really suck if so.
Even a safer way to go would be to dig a deep hole and drive over it. Make sure the width of the hole will allow your car to drive over it without falling in. The hole could then be used as a nice koi pond after you are done.. Win Win.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FireHawk178
Even a safer way to go would be to dig a deep hole and drive over it. Make sure the width of the hole will allow your car to drive over it without falling in. The hole could then be used as a nice koi pond after you are done.. Win Win.
lol Why didn't i think of that?
Old 03-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FireHawk178
lolol koi pond thats not a bad idea
Old 03-17-2010, 01:09 PM
11Second Club

If you have any friends in the armed services, get them to let you on base to use the lifts there. My friend was in the Army Reserves and got me on base in Ft. Worth and I rented a lift for $4/hr and got it done myself.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Launching!

I did some long tubes on normal jack stands. The trick is to take off the coils and brackets. Lol I don't remember if that's what helped, but it's easy to do and might help some. If you can't do it, I might could come help you sometime for a part or 2...
Old 03-17-2010, 08:21 PM
9 Second Club

I've got some big jacks and a lift, but I'm about 2hrs-2 1/2hrs north of DFW . You can get some nice jackstands at a Harbor Freight that should be tall enough, thats where I got mine.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

I found a buddy with some jackstands that raise up to 2 feet. He also suggested buying a couple of railroad crossties and using them to put the jackstands on if that's not high enough. Will 2 feet be high enough? He said just use some brackets and nail the x-ties together on put the stands on them. He said they are harder than regular 2x4's or 2x6's because of they way they are treated. Will 2 feet be high enough without the x-ties?
Old 03-17-2010, 10:13 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My jack wouldn't quite go up high enough while doing my buddy's headers. We had to improvise lol...........

My jack stands were plenty high (6-ton stands are bigger), so I wouldn't suggest this without jack stands under it lol.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Here ya go..from the race ramps website..I might pick up a set of these bad boys:
Old 03-18-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
My jack wouldn't quite go up high enough while doing my buddy's headers. We had to improvise lol...........

My jack stands were plenty high (6-ton stands are bigger), so I wouldn't suggest this without jack stands under it lol.
And I thought I was ghetto by using a piece of wood 4x4 on top of my jack

Quick Reply: huge jackstands or header installer needed