Thinking of buying a underground pool (thoughts)

Old 04-01-2010, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a underground pool (thoughts)

So I plan on refinancing my house this month and was thinking of getting a pool. I know about all the hassle with cleaning and chemicals to keep it clean. But i want to know about who to have it done by, best deals around and financing options. Im assuming its prob better off to have a seperate loan for 20k with % vs a loan of 80k plus another 20 (and i believe the rates increase cause i am taking more money out).

Thoughts.....
I dont plan on moving ever.........
Old 04-01-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it's underground how are you going to use it?

I think you mean inground.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop

Yeah do you you have a pool?
Old 04-01-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

LOL, Diddy you get owned just rolling out of bed in the morning. And no, I wasn't looking for you.

Somebody was telling me about getting a salt water pool the other day. She said it was much easier and less expensive on maintainence. More eviro freindly also. I run into several pool contractors so giving your general location may help you with a hook up to a great contractor.

Vernon
Old 04-01-2010, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
LOL, Diddy you get owned just rolling out of bed in the morning. And no, I wasn't looking for you.

Somebody was telling me about getting a salt water pool the other day. She said it was much easier and less expensive on maintainence. More eviro freindly also. I run into several pool contractors so giving your general location may help you with a hook up to a great contractor.

Vernon
Man i love these forums......

Im just south of dallas on i-45...bout 3 miles from ennis
Old 04-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

We have a salt water pool and the up keep is pretty simple. We just need to monitor the salt level and dump a bag in when it starts to get low. Keeping the leaves, tree junk out of it is the roughest thing but has nothing to do with the type of pool..

One regret I do have is not buying a house with a pool already. We had one installed a few years after moving in and will be paying on it for nearly as many years as the we will be paying on the house.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

Saltwater pools are badass and the way to go!
Old 04-01-2010, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FireHawk178
We have a salt water pool and the up keep is pretty simple. We just need to monitor the salt level and dump a bag in when it starts to get low. Keeping the leaves, tree junk out of it is the roughest thing but has nothing to do with the type of pool..

One regret I do have is not buying a house with a pool already. We had one installed a few years after moving in and will be paying on it for nearly as many years as the we will be paying on the house.
What kind of terms/financing did you get?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:40 PM
RCC
On The Tree

I had a pool installed 3 years ago and what was said about saltwater pools is true, they are the only way to go. Be very careful who you go with on construction because for every good pool contractor there are 20 bad ones.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Teching In

This might be a stupid question but what are some benefits of a salt water pool besides the cost? This is the first I have heard of them to be honest! Sounds pretty damn cool
Old 04-01-2010, 12:45 PM
RCC
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gigemrick
This might be a stupid question but what are some benefits of a salt water pool besides the cost? This is the first I have heard of them to be honest! Sounds pretty damn cool
The cost at construction is more for salt but much cheaper to maintain in the long run. No more chlorine burnt eyes or wife griping about her hair turning colors or drying out.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My buddies dad had a salt pool installed many years ago, probably 15 years or so. We used to swim in it all the time, and honestly i think its the only way to go for a pool. No dry skin, no dry hair, no burning eyes, no clorine smell. It wasnt even as salty as the ocean. I cant stand the Ocean, and this wasnt a problem at all.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

Just had our pool installed last week and salt water is definitely the way to go!!!!!!!

Old 04-01-2010, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

My wife and I are buying an existing house and moving in 2 weeks and it has a rather large pool. I already have a contractor coming to install the salt water conversion as I don't want to mess with all the other chemicals involved with a chlorine pool. The only think you need is to keep the pool clean, monitor the salt level and use acid every now and then to clean the converter.

BTW - I have heard the Hayward Goldline is the best unit and most reliable one on the market. Thats what I am going with on my pool and I'm getting the 40,000 gallon + unit.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop

LMBO i was thinking the same thing
Old 04-02-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

I've had an in ground pool for 10 years now, I wouldn't do it again ever. Wait until you have to start replacing pumps and filter elements and heaters, chemicals are nothing. Last year we had a lightning strike take out both of my pumps $750.00 by the time it was all said annd done. Year before that the heater went south on me $1,500.00 for a new one. When the outside air temperature approaches freezing the equipment runs to prevent the pipes from freezing, big electric bills in the winter. Never again would I build a pool, biggest money pit ever.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by THE BLACK WIDOW
Just had our pool installed last week and salt water is definitely the way to go!!!!!!!

ballin got the walmart special lol.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic

Vernon
Only thing you need to worry about is all the equipment rusting out. What salinity is it ran at? I have a 140 gallon saltwater tank so I'm just curious. I just don't get it, salt only adds minerals, it has nothing to do with getting rid of algea and toxins. In the ocean, that is all done by the inverts.

I would say, do what I did. Buy a boat. I have a mastercraft X2, and haven't had any problems. I pay about 350 a month for it.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've wanted one since I was a kid, ideally you could buy a house with one already in it. But with so many subdivisions having pools, most people don't mess with it.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you have teenage daughters who have a lot of friends over, a pool is great.

Otherwise, they are a PITA.

Search this Thread