wifes new car is down!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wifes new car is down!

not new, a used 2008 chevy HHR SS. we drove it off the lot and the tire monitor light came on. it is still under the factory warranty but they say its not their problem.
does anyone have any good news for me? lol i checked tire pressures, all good. i think its a sensor. they acted stupid when they looked at it and just confused my wife and sent her home. i wasnt there with her when she took it.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

psi in the spare tire will also trigger the light

the car is down??? did it stop running from the tire psi light coming on?? lol
if you bought it at a used car dealership which is not a chevrolet branch, they are not responsible.
might wanna take it to a chevrolet dealer if it is still under waranty, they will take care of you.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, its probably just the tire pressure sensor. my 2009 carolla has that as well. i freaked out at first but it was just the psi. good luck.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Launching!

when i go thru the tire pressures on the dash info, the right rear i think, shows up blank. now that she took it to the dealer, all of them show blank. i guess they reset it to try and make the code go away. unfortunately its not the pressure, ive triple checked. just not the spare.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

go get a digital guage from Vatozone
Old 04-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Launching!

i got it at champion chevrolet. they say its probly the sensor and wont fix it under warranty. im going up there with her next time. there might be a fight lol
it runs fine, the light is just annoying
Old 04-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Launching!

i hated leaving in a hhr ss when they had a modded black c6 Z06 for 45k. but its what she wanted. at least it was a chevy. the z looked clean, wonder whos it was.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

when did you buy?? tell them if theyre not gonna fix this simple problem then you dont want the car and say it like you mean it!
hand the keys to them and ask for the manager, not the sales manager or the guy at the main desk, ask for the main guy in charge and tell him, I wonder what channel 4 news would think of a dealership who just sold a car and wont fix a simple problem that has to do with safety??
Old 04-05-2010, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Just take it to another chevy dealership. And dont mention taking it anywhere else. If you get them angry they will just set your car up for failure.

On my ford i had a small fluid leak since like 2 days after buying it. It was something simple with the power steering, ended up being a hairline crack in the seem of the reservoir. I took it in probably 5 times under warranty to get this fixed. I finally got it fixed when i took it to a different dealership.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dont know how Chevrolet works, but on my Tacoma. If the spare is low on air, it will also set it off. Might give the spare tire a try.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Launching!

apparently the car is already set up for failure. i can fix it myself, i just dont have the money if its the sensor. times are hard. procharger wants 400 bucks from me for some stupid reason and D1 takes priority over wifes car. lol
Old 04-05-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did they try to reset the sensors? if the pressure is good then once you reset the sensor's it will be fine... you can do it manually or take it to discount and they can do it, atleast my store can, iunno if other stores has the same **** we do... to do it manually here is what you do...

hold the lock and unlock button on the key fob at the same time with the keys in the run position but the car OFF.

after holding the buttons the horn will sound.

start with the left front tire and let air out or put air in until the horn honks (it's easier to let air out, IMO)

once the horn honks work your way clock wise around the car so it would be LF, RF, RR, LR and once you do the left rear the horn should sound twice to let you know it's out of learn mode, but it might only sound once...

now if you do that and get to the right rear sensor and it doesnt sound the horn then yeah it's prob a sensor... if that doesnt work you can bring it up to my work and i can try it with our high tech **** but no promises... sometimes the sensor needs to be "woken up"... also even though the comp says it's the right rear it might be somewhere else, cause if they previous owner had the tires rotated or moved and they did not put the tires in the same spot and didint reset the sensor then obviously it's going to say it's in the wrong spot.... i hope this helps, sensor's from discount range from 50-150 and the dealer charges about twice that... just FYI
Old 04-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Launching!

thanks man, ill try that tomorrow. im so frustrated with this dealership. they were supposed to call us to set up the lojack and we havnt heard from them on that either. like they just pawned the car off on us and now dont give a crap about us. i feel like ive been taken advantage of by a fat chick and she didnt even leave her number.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Umm, just FYI for everyone, the actual sensors that go into the tires for the TPMS are NOT covered under ANY KIND of warranty. It's like having a bad spark plug and expecting the dealership to fix it for free.

Not sure about the HHR's, but my Impala DOESN'T have a sensor in the spare tire. Also when my car was about a year old I had to take it to the dealership cause the TPMS light would not go off, so they replaced my whole antenna and gave me 2 new key FOB's.

And I still get the occasional TPMS light that will flicker. But ever since I changed my rims and had the guy "dust off" the 2nd set of sensors in the tires before putting them back on, I don't get the messages hardly ever. I've got about 50k+ miles on these sensors, cause I was too cheap to replace them when I got new tires!!
Old 04-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Launching!

if the dealership sold me a car with a bad spark plug, id still be pissed. it doesnt make sense to have to change sensors as often as spark plugs. the car still has less than 30k miles on it
Old 04-05-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

some cars never have to change sensors but some cars they go out quick... one way to kill a sensor really fast is to put fix-a-flat in there... thats like throwing your cell phone in the pool and expecting it to still work... and yeah your spare doenst have a sensor in it BTW, usually the only cars that have sensors in them are toyota trucks and suvs... some other cars here and there but those are the most pop. ones...
Old 04-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Launching!

if you drove a car off the lot and the check engine light came on... what would you do? cuz all we did was drive it off the lot, and the light came on. lol and now its not their problem. even after they told us it was still under the original new car warranty and if anything happens, bring it back. thats just bologna. of course it stayed off during the test drive too, go figure.
ill reset it tomorrow and go from there i guess.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ImpSS07
Umm, just FYI for everyone, the actual sensors that go into the tires for the TPMS are NOT covered under ANY KIND of warranty. It's like having a bad spark plug and expecting the dealership to fix it for free.

Not sure about the HHR's, but my Impala DOESN'T have a sensor in the spare tire. Also when my car was about a year old I had to take it to the dealership cause the TPMS light would not go off, so they replaced my whole antenna and gave me 2 new key FOB's.

And I still get the occasional TPMS light that will flicker. But ever since I changed my rims and had the guy "dust off" the 2nd set of sensors in the tires before putting them back on, I don't get the messages hardly ever. I've got about 50k+ miles on these sensors, cause I was too cheap to replace them when I got new tires!!
Actually you are wrong, the item is not a wear item, it is not supposed to wear out. If it fails under warranty they are supposed to replace it no matter what. Tell them to make the light go away. Worn out rotors don't set off a warning light. TPSM sensors are mandatory since 08 and do set off a warning light, your warning system does not work when one sensor is out, if you had a tire go out and lost control because they did not fix it and you had it in writing I would say that would make for a good lawsuit. I wouldn't mess with an advisor, if they are not helping you, get a manager, if they wont help, call corporate.

I had to ask for the manager when an old service advisor said, its $200 for a new sensor if they take the tire off and find that it is physically damaged. I said if its damaged put the ******* tire back on and Ill fix it for $50, then he said it would be a $100 diagnostic fee if they take the tire off. He did say if it was a bad sensor they would replace it free. I felt like the guy was more or less ramming this down my throat as there is no real way for me to take the tire off (also no way to prove that it was or was not physically broken when I am not there to witness it, they could also physically damage it while taking the tire off), break the bead to see if its physical damage, asked for a manager and the manager fixed the issue in 10secs, the advisor later told me he did not understand at the time (he said the tech told him it was not covered) but now he was told by the manager that if the car was under warranty it was covered no matter what.

Last edited by jmorgan; 04-05-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

any updates?
Old 04-07-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
some cars never have to change sensors but some cars they go out quick... one way to kill a sensor really fast is to put fix-a-flat in there... thats like throwing your cell phone in the pool and expecting it to still work... and yeah your spare doenst have a sensor in it BTW, usually the only cars that have sensors in them are toyota trucks and suvs... some other cars here and there but those are the most pop. ones...
That was the top reason we replaced TPMS sensors at Acura. The next top reason for a sensor failing was techs who busted them while putting new tires on wheels.