Looking to buy my first handgun, advice welcomed gun guru's!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alot of good info has been mentioned. My personal choice for a handgun is a Springfield XD-9 in 9mm with a Surefire LED tactical light. One big thing on the 9mm is that the ammo is MUCH CHEAPER than the larger rounds. If you want to go to the range as often as I do it just makes sense. Don't listen to anyone who says that a 9mm won't stop someone as that's total BS. One shot from a 9mm will drop someone the same as a 45. It's all about where the shot hits. I also own a lot of bigger guns like a 12 gauge, S&W 41 magnum, 357 magnum but out of all of them I would pick the 9mm if I was defending my home from an intruder. It's just a super reliable pistol that feels perfect in my hands.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question

Originally Posted by LS1Aggie09
.45 is a good round. .40 is also good for all around shooting. the argument that bigger is better doesn't really matter in all honesty as long as you have the proper rounds! any caliber is useless if you can't shoot.

figure out what size round you are wanting, semi-auto vs. revolver, then go shoot different makes and models and see what you like the best without listening to others' biases. if its strictly for home defense, .45 wouldn't be a bad choice but .40 is also a good round. Springfield, Glock, S&W are good manufacturers as are Colt and Kimber but they are also expensive. the 1911 is an AWESOME pistol and manufactured by all kinds.

the glock is a great gun and is the cheapest out of all the major semi-auto manufacturers and kind of set the scene initially for reliability; however all major manufacturers are good these days...except Taurus, unless you get a Judge (Revolver)!!!! Judge (load it up with 2 .410 shotgun rounds and 3 .45 long colt) is badass but is really meant more for close quarters/vehicle defense.
Wonder why you say taurus is no good. Have a 1911 taurus (.45acp) and never had a problem with it. outshoots my beretta 92fs (9mm) any day of the week. It is much more accurate.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Any major manufacturer (glock, s&w, colt, taurus, kimber springfield, etc.) in 9mm and up will suit you just fine. It all comes down to personal preference.. whatever feel good in your hand.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WstTexas

BTW, a .44 Desert Eagle is a good thing to show off at the range, but impractical for everyday use.
Yeah maybe if you're just a little guy People who say that...tend to be on the smaller side and are mad that they personally can't handle one. Yes maybe it would be impractical for the average sized guy, but when you're 6'5" 230 lbs like I am, handling a .44 mag is no big thing. I meant exactly what I said...wield the biggest gun you can comfortably carry and shoot...which for me is a .44 cal DE. It's not impractical for someone with some strength and size.

Besides...with a round like a 240 grain .44 mag, all it takes is one, lol. Anywhere you hit someone they're going down and not getting back up unless it's after a lengthy hospital stay where you're insides are put back in place.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:23 AM
Banned

Well im pretty much set on the Springfield XDM .40, shot an email to a gun dealer buddy of the family to see what kind of price he can nail down for me.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:43 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

I've shot an XD 9mm and shoots like a dream, but it was a full size and not good for carry.

I have a Glock G23 .40 compact and shoots ok and I bought a Glock G36 (olive drab) subcompact slimline .45 after shooting a Glock 36 .45 subcompact that shoots great.

There is no need to worry about shooting your own junk when carrying, just get a nice holster that covers the trigger like this one:

I have a coworker that has a Glock G19 9mm that he swears by, more so after it saved his life when a carjacker tried to kill him but my coworker ended him. 9mm is just as deadly.

Plenty of great guns out there, you just need to try a few out. Also if you carry, subcompact and slim is the way to go. IMHO there's range guns and then there's carry guns.

~ Craig
Old 04-29-2010, 07:37 AM
Teching In

Lots of good advice in here. I'm a big 1911 fan, but for home defense I prefer my .12ga w/ buckshot. As far as the 9mm debate that seems to be arising here, yes you have higher capacity, and with the right ammo you can certainly be deadly, however from personal experience, I met a guy down at the shooting range who had been shot 9 TIMES by a 9mm, saw several of the scars. So just something to think about.

Good luck on your choice OP
Old 04-29-2010, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My advice. Go to a range with a large selection of rentals. Pay the rental fee and go through as many as you want. Just because it feels good in your hand doesn't mean it is accurate, reliable, or doesn't have bad recoil where you'll anticipate it and make it inaccurate. Also pay attention to ammo prices. If you can't afford to practice with it, then get something you can. All the 9mm hating is BS. A .45's stopping power is a moot point if you are inexperienced from lack of practice and miss your target.

I CC a SC XD40, my wife has a Sig P239 in .40. I like them both. For true home defense, a shotgun is best. Don't have to be as accurate, easy to shoot from the hip, and less likely to travel through walls. Whoever said that fine motor skills go out the window when the **** hits the fan is right. Once adrenaline starts pumping its hard to work fingers so keep the thing loaded and ready. I'm sorry, but people that have guns for home defense and then keep them unloaded and locked up are in for trouble if they ever have an intruder.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

+1 on sig.

p226/229 (same gun, 229 is the compact version iirc), are awesome. .357 or .40mm, barrel can be switched in a minute.

i personally don't like those striker/double action only pistols like the glocks and etc. granted, i've only shot the cheaper models... but the heavy trigger pull sort of hurts accuracy imo.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by za355tx
Yeah maybe if you're just a little guy People who say that...tend to be on the smaller side and are mad that they personally can't handle one. Yes maybe it would be impractical for the average sized guy, but when you're 6'5" 230 lbs like I am, handling a .44 mag is no big thing. I meant exactly what I said...wield the biggest gun you can comfortably carry and shoot...which for me is a .44 cal DE. It's not impractical for someone with some strength and size.

Besides...with a round like a 240 grain .44 mag, all it takes is one, lol. Anywhere you hit someone they're going down and not getting back up unless it's after a lengthy hospital stay where you're insides are put back in place.
Trying to keep this on-topic for the OP, but in all seriousness a DE is not a practical everyday carry weapon for 95% of the population. I may be smaller than you, but definitely not average, over 6' tall and over 200lbs as well and strength is not an issue. I have no need to flex my internet muscles. But with that being said, my job allows me to shoot ALOT of weapons, and I based what I said previously from my professional opinion. Your opinion states that bigger is better. Not always the case. Just as I stated in my prior post, we did a bullet penetration test on '64 Impala. No, we didn't have a .44 DE, but I have shot one at the range.

We tested the 9mm, .40 S&W, .45ACP and .357 Sig. Here is how they fared:
Shooting from a 90degree angle, directly at the driver's side door.

9mm: 1 out 10 pentrated door and inside door panel
.40 S&W: 3 out of 10 door and inside door panel
.45ACP: 6 out of 10 door and inside door panel
.357 Sig: 8 out 10 door and inside panel and 3 continued through the passenger door

When needing a penetrating round, such as in my profession, the 45ACP is not top dog, it is the .357 Sig. Sig Sauer P226 DAK .357 Sig is what I carry. Over 12K rounds through it and not 1 jam, stove-pipe or double-feed.

Just trying to show that bigger is not always better, just depends on the usage.

I own weapons in all of the above round sizes. I carry whatever feels comfortable on that day, when I am off-duty.

I was simply trying to give the op an un-biased, objective opinion that can be backed with real-life situtations and proven field testing.

If you feel the need to carry a "Matrix" weapon, so be it. Good luck concealing it unless you are 6'5" and 230lbs, .
Old 04-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Banned

Ok so I was looking more at the XDM .40, and I noticed that it is double action only. Isnt that a bad thing? I thought double action was like a revolver where it basically cocked the hammer with every pull of the trigger.

Correct me if im wrong please, my knowledge of handguns is little.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Lqdsilver
XD fan here, best .45 I shot. I was a big fan of the 1911's but the price range on the XD and how it shot sold me on it.
Yep I love 1911s, but the price and magazine capacity sold me on the XD 45!
Old 04-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Texas Heat
Ok so I was looking more at the XDM .40, and I noticed that it is double action only. Isnt that a bad thing? I thought double action was like a revolver where it basically cocked the hammer with every pull of the trigger.

Double Action Only is not always a bad thing. My Glock 33 is double-action only. It just takes alot more practice. To make it simple, the first trigger pull is long and heavier than most. But after the first "bang" you can let the trigger out approximately half-way and you feel and hear a click, resetting the firing pin, allowing you to fire your second shot. It is a shorter pull, but about the same trigger "weight" as the first pull. Or you can let the trigger all the way out on every trigger pull. As I stated before, every gun takes practice, practice and more practice. You can also have the trigger pull altered by a gunsmith to lighten it. Got to shoot a glock 33 with a 2.5lb trigger and it was crazy light compared to my stock glock 33 trigger.

Sorry that is the best way I know how to explain it to someone who hasn't experienced it. Find some friends that have handguns and go shoot some. Everyone is different and likes different calibers, manufacturers and so forth.

Again when stuff hits the fan, you wont notice the trigger pull weight at all. But it can affect your accuracy, if you have not practiced and become familiar firing your handgun.

Last edited by WstTexas; 04-29-2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Had a brain fart
Old 04-29-2010, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Texas Heat

Yes, Double action only is a PITA and will likely impair accuracy. I know when I qualified for my CHL the only two shots I pulled were at the furthest distance when I had to use the double action on the first shot. However, having a gun that is double action on the first shot, with the rest being single action can be very handy because you don't have to manually pull the hammer back and just can point and shoot with the first round and after that its all gravy.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Default Glock

Get a glock, best thing for the money IMO.....but its all in whatcha like i guess. I have 3 Glocks, 19, 22, and a 21. LOVE 'EM ALL!!
Old 04-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Springfield XDm .40
Old 04-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Banned

Love it, but im getting this color scheme:
Old 04-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WstTexas
On your 1911's the first pull is a double-action pull (long and heavy), and the rest are single action (shorter and much lighter).
Generally speaking most 1911's aren't double/single such as Colt and Kimber. Para does make a 1911 that is double/single, but generally speaking 1911's are single action all the time.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tex7387
Generally speaking most 1911's aren't double/single such as Colt and Kimber. Para does make a 1911 that is double/single, but generally speaking 1911's are single action all the time.
Sorry, had a brain fart. My mistake....
Old 04-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Launching!

I love XD's but good luck concealing something that big, you may opt to get a different one if you decide to carry, have fun shooting the XD though it's a sweet setup

Quick Reply: Looking to buy my first handgun, advice welcomed gun guru's!