what happen to MTI

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Mr Powell;13295990]I don't know why everyone hates on MTI. They use to be the TOP shop in Houston. They did more LS1 R&D than ANY shop in town has. Hell most of the top shops had mechanics that started there and learned the ropes there.

+1
Old 05-07-2010, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Isn't there one still open up in Georgia?
Old 05-07-2010, 10:24 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by posz28
Isn't there one still open up in Georgia?
That is MTI Racing. Totally different company. I thought they were partners years ago, but found out they were not.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:28 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Powell, it is just part of being at the top of your game. People just have to hate. MTI had far more happy customers than disappointed ones, and by far some of the best techs in the game under their roof. It is just the guys who like to bitch and hate that are more vocal on the int3rw3b.

Many of the MTI longtime customers and techs still remain friends today. Not many shops can say that.

Tony
Old 05-07-2010, 10:30 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Powell, it is just part of being at the top of your game. People just have to hate. MTI had far more happy customers than disappointed ones, and by far some of the best techs in the game under their roof. It is just the guys who like to bitch and hate that are more vocal on the int3rw3b.

Many of the MTI longtime customers and techs still remain friends today. Not many shops can say that.

Tony
Oh trust me I agree on that one! We did business with them many of times and I do not have one bad thing to say about them.

If I remember correctly the first time I met you in person was at an MTI dyno day when I was 17. It was Neil, you, Leo, Larry Cato, and someone else that went to Chili's after.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:45 AM
8 Second Club

I was just watching the video I made that was on their front page of the site. The car in the video is my little brother's G-Ride

http://www.vobra.org/vids/newbest.wmv

Three years ago it was the fastest 6speed N/A Vette in Texas and only 3 or 4 1/10's off from being one of the fastest N/A 6speed C5's in America at that time.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:00 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Powell
Oh trust me I agree on that one! We did business with them many of times and I do not have one bad thing to say about them.

If I remember correctly the first time I met you in person was at an MTI dyno day when I was 17. It was Neil, you, Leo, Larry Cato, and someone else that went to Chili's after.
Nascar Tuck
Old 05-08-2010, 04:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mr Powell
I don't know why everyone hates on MTI. They use to be the TOP shop in Houston. They did more LS1 R&D than ANY shop in town has. Hell most of the top shops had mechanics that started there and learned the ropes there.

I miss going to hang out at MTI and harassing Jayson. My favorite quote ever while I was there "This year we are going to make money off of the Powell brothers, instead of losing it!" It did help that one of my best friends was the head tech there during the last year of them being open.
They may have done good work for people that spent 20k plus. Or people that paid them for built/numbered cars. They did a **** job on my tune for 500 and I got billy aka tollwaybandit to retune for 250. He did a way better job fixed all the bullshit bucking surging. And David did just seem like a genuously nice guy.

Last edited by Nwmembr19; 05-08-2010 at 04:28 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

fwiw i never dealth with em as MTI, only after they started operating as Icon
Old 05-08-2010, 09:31 AM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MTI was a great place to go to. I had alot of work done there. David was a great guy and always made everything right! I also remember an older gentleman who was there in the shop and up front, cant remember his name though. It was a year or so before they went out that I switched to G-force. It was nice to have a great shop close to home.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:47 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Nwmembr19
They may have done good work for people that spent 20k plus. Or people that paid them for built/numbered cars. They did a **** job on my tune for 500 and I got billy aka tollwaybandit to retune for 250. He did a way better job fixed all the bullshit bucking surging. And David did just seem like a genuously nice guy.
From my experiences, yeah they took care of their golden eggs alright, but not necessarily everyone else. One of the most frustrating issues I had with them was over a simple timing set. When I ordered a $190 Cloyes timing set, I expected to receive a $190 Cloyes timing set. Instead, they (I believe it was Jason) tried to give me a $90 Rollmaster set in a Cloyes box, twice! When I finally got it, it wasn't packaged new like it just came off the UPS truck. It looked more like it just came off someone else's car.

But, for a little positive reinforcement, they had some very skilled guys that worked there in the shop. I know several of these guys, and they are still capable of the excellent work that gave MTI its reputation in the racing industry.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
fwiw i never dealth with em as MTI, only after they started operating as Icon
Dude, you are absolutely clueless to what's going on. MTI did not turn into Icon. Icon was started by Mike, previous MTI employee, while MTI was still in business. Mike just purchased some of MTI's equipment when they closed shop. Get your sh*t straight before posting BS.

Oh to your surprise they are still around.

They take care of my car:

Old 05-08-2010, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Their customer service sucked for me they seemed smart though.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Destroyer of Exotics

Originally Posted by n77nxc
Dude, you are absolutely clueless to what's going on. MTI did not turn into Icon. Icon was started by Mike, previous MTI employee, while MTI was still in business. Mike just purchased some of MTI's equipment when they closed shop. Get your sh*t straight before posting BS.

They take care of my car:
so by posting a picture of how your car looks, that shows they are still around?

btw i dont think he was refering to icon closing, but mti instead?

does icon still have that blue c6 needing a motor?
Old 05-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1sickz28
so by posting a picture of how your car looks, that shows they are still around?

btw i dont think he was refering to icon closing, but mti instead?

does icon still have that blue c6 needing a motor?
Dude, go re-read the posts and try again.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:11 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a total of 4 Mustangs, 5 f-bodies and 2 GTO's worked on by MTI. If they didn't to the great work I would not have remained a customer for their nearly 14 years in business. MTI had some of the best techs work for them, many that went on to open their own shops or work for other prestigious shops that is a testament to the caliber of MTI.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by n77nxc

why would i believe you over the next guy? i was looking for service a while back, i called MTI's number, mike picked up and told me Icon more or less came out of MTI, along with purchasing both hardware and software of witch he did not give me details. i would call that having my **** strait seeing as how it came from the man himself.

and yes, i am suprised theyre still around, Mike's customer service was shitty at best and very shady at times. now if youll give me a second, ill search the internet and find a pic of a decent looking lambo so i can say so-and-so did a great job on it.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

Icon is not MTI.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:34 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Icon was started a few years before MTI went out of biz. Mike used to be a tech at MTI several years ago, decided to do his own thing (Icon). A couple of the techs from MTI went to work at Icon when MTI closed down. Icon bought MTI's dynojet and some other shop equipment, as well as the tune database from all the dynos done at MTI.

They are not, and never have been, the same company. Jayson/MTI decided to close up shop, Icon picked up some fragments of it.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Is Phil from CXI off of lock yet? Or is he still doing time?

Quick Reply: what happen to MTI