what happen to MTI

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surprised no one has mentioned the countless MTI engines that dropped sleeves and telling the customers to go pound sand. I believe even Nineballs engine did too. Or MTi's lifetime tunes, that they wouldn't honor.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my engine hasn't dropped a sleeve....that i know of lol
Old 05-25-2010, 06:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
The cars a Houston classic, was going as fast if not faster back in the mid/late 90s then a lot of the heavy hitters are now. Post some pictures of it, havent seen that car since he sold it.

Here is the only picture I have of it. I'm going to put my motor and trans in it, it should run in the mid to bottom 8's. I will post a thread when I get everything all together.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:28 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Red00
Surprised no one has mentioned the countless MTI engines that dropped sleeves and telling the customers to go pound sand. I believe even Nineballs engine did too. Or MTi's lifetime tunes, that they wouldn't honor.
The only guys told to "pound sand" were the ones that used nitrous or forced induction on the sleeved engines. Their engines had a warranty, but power adders voided the warranty. Risks you have to take and accept to go racing. My first all-bore 382 LS1 had a sleeve issue, the block was replaced under warranty. I can think of probably a dozen sleeve issue engines that were replaced under warranty too.

Re-sleeving an aluminum block was a new process back then, shops had not mastered it yet. Just to put things into perspective. Sleeves and the installation process have gotten better, but now the newer bore LS blocks have made them somewhat obsolete.

"Lifetime Tunes" only lasts as long as a company is in business. Yes, that was a stupid idea in the first place, in my opinion. They still did the best tunes in town, back then. Most people had no problem paying for it, regardless if some hokey lifetime sales pitch was attached.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Word. I enjoyed the guys at MTI. Good people
Old 05-25-2010, 06:33 PM
it is on low boost

Originally Posted by Bad Chad

Here is the only picture I have of it. I'm going to put my motor and trans in it, it should run in the mid to bottom 8's. I will post a thread when I get everything all together.
What happened to the engine/combo that was in it?
Old 05-25-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nick K
What happened to the engine/combo that was in it?
Not sure, I bought it as a roller...
Old 05-26-2010, 05:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engine/turbo's ended up in a truck I believe, Help me find Chad a roller so we can get the LEGEND back. Jeff sh*t a brick when he saw it on the net. He couldn't believe the car still was here and still look the same.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by camaro-KEEN
The engine/turbo's ended up in a truck I believe, Help me find Chad a roller so we can get the LEGEND back. Jeff sh*t a brick when he saw it on the net. He couldn't believe the car still was here and still look the same.
I personally think Chad should keep the car. If Jeff was in such a need of getting it back he would have known it sat in a shop off of Preston in Pasadena forever collecting dust.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by INVISIBLEZ
I personally think Chad should keep the car. If Jeff was in such a need of getting it back he would have known it sat in a shop off of Preston in Pasadena forever collecting dust.
I personally think you should mind your own business, Jeff hasn't been in the car scene since he sold it. So he wouldn't know it was there. So he wasn't in such need to get it back if he didn't know it still was around.

It's up to Chad to do what he wants, Which either way is cool to us he is a great guy. I just thought it would be cool to get it back and to play with it. Trust me if I would have seen or known it was around I would have bought it a long time ago. That car is turbo history in our area, that's the reasoning. you ever had that car that got away and always thought about it?
Old 05-27-2010, 10:33 PM
10 Second Club

I personally think you should mind your own business, Jeff hasn't been in the car scene since he sold it. So he wouldn't know it was there. So he wasn't in such need to get it back if he didn't know it still was around.

It's up to Chad to do what he wants, Which either way is cool to us he is a great guy. I just thought it would be cool to get it back and to play with it. Trust me if I would have seen or known it was around I would have bought it a long time ago. That car is turbo history in our area, that's the reasoning. you ever had that car that got away and always thought about it?
Well I guess since you're not Jeff, goes both ways, mind your own business. I spoke my peace as Chad's friend, my business right. I've heard the whole story a few times, down to the bullshit of someone saying the car was not worth 3k. As far as a car I wish I had back, it would be my old Formula I sold to Nineball. Big mistake, but it's beyond what I would want now.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well I guess since you're not Jeff, goes both ways, mind your own business. I spoke my peace as Chad's friend, my business right. I've heard the whole story a few times, down to the bullshit of someone saying the car was not worth 3k. As far as a car I wish I had back, it would be my old Formula I sold to Nineball. Big mistake, but it's beyond what I would want now.
Look here, no one on my end said the car was not worth 3k grand. So know your **** before you talk it. Now I'm not one for Internet keyboard warrior crap. So if you would like to continue your getting in someone's business I can meet you and talk about it.

I ain't the one to play these games on the net, I like playing in person.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:19 AM
10 Second Club

Look here, no one on my end said the car was not worth 3k grand. So know your **** before you talk it. Now I'm not one for Internet keyboard warrior crap. So if you would like to continue your getting in someone's business I can meet you and talk about it.

I ain't the one to play these games on the net, I like playing in person.
Coold deal, not a problem.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:47 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

LOL! Boys behave.

I miss looking at that silver WS6 Formula, would probably buy another one if I came across one dirt cheap. After owning both a Firehawk and a WS6, I still like the WS6 hood much better. Yep, I ruined that car by turning it into a drag car

I don't regret selling any car I've ever owned. I prefer to upgrade!
Old 05-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Destroyer of Exotics

i regret selling the ccw's i bought from mike
Old 06-09-2010, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

MTI completely fucked my car up - hope they never do business again. Bunch of theives. All I can say is thank God I had HKE build my motor.

Last edited by john_sblendorio; 06-09-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:49 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by john_sblendorio
MTI completely fucked my car up - hope they never do business again. Bunch of theives. All I can say is thank God I had HKE build my motor.
Elaborate? How are they thieves? Did you put a blower on your 427 and blow it up and get mad because they wouldn't warranty it? Or did you cheap out and buy random used parts and threw it on the motor and it blew up? Or is there a REAL story to it?

Just a heads up... MTI's engine builder Cam was a HKE employee and last I heard is a HKE employee again...
Old 06-09-2010, 11:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball

I miss looking at that silver WS6 Formula!
It looked good, but that black Formula WS6 was a lot cleaner from what I recall.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mr Powell
Elaborate? How are they thieves? Did you put a blower on your 427 and blow it up and get mad because they wouldn't warranty it? Or did you cheap out and buy random used parts and threw it on the motor and it blew up? Or is there a REAL story to it? ..
Hardly, I spent a lot of money to have them install a 427, upgrade parts and retune for an F1C and got screwed because it was a couple months before they announced they were discontinuing their service work. But I would love to share my experience. To whoever the tech(s) were - thanks for the quality work. It is really hard to imagine paying the amount of money I did and receiving such crap in return.

To make matters worse, I had to spend twice as much to have Dallas Performance fix all their mistakes. Its a good thing they are no longer in business, but then again I would not have found Dallas Performance. They are the definition of integrity and quality.

I received the car back from MTI making 725whp and Dallas Performance made 900hp after fixing all their mistakes.

* paid for LS3 intercooler mod (ProCharger drop cradle) - never installed
* paid for a Innovators West damper - installed an AIT
* received the car back with DIC errors every time the car was used (active handling, abs, traction control)
* charged for a 160* thermostat - never installed
* charged for solid steering rack bushings - never installed
* installed the bypass valve with the large mid section o-ring floating inside the valve
* stretched the radiator hose to the point it kinked on the bend causing the car to overheat
* the tune had a horrible shudder off idle 1,000-2,000 rpm's that made stop and go nearly impossible
* the blower output hose was completely kinked in one spot and being pinched by the sway bars in another
* the air cleaner they used was completely insufficient for the application and was collapsed in from the pressure
* never reinstalled my front brake line brackets
* never reinstalled the power steering bracket
* never reinstalled the power steering cooler
* paid for a new KOOKS z06 exhaust system - received a used oem z06 x-pipe that was cut and welded to fit the headers.
* requested an ALKY system install and Dewitts radiator installation. These items were simply over looked. Not charged for, but not installed when I picked the car up either.

It's a good thing they are not in business any longer. I would stay away from the shop who employs the tech(s) who worked on my car as well. I know Chris was gone by then. David Coates said it was Steve from ICON and I saw him working on my car before I took delivery, but he denies it.

Quick Reply: what happen to MTI