Cam time, MS3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

FWIW... There is a car in this thread that we went to the track the very same night and our cars are basically identical in setup except that I am still running the stock cam and the other car had a huge cam. I actually ran a tenth faster in the 1/8th mile than that car, and said car was on MT DR's and I was on Toyo DR's. Point is bigger is not always better. That being said that exact car from a roll to top end race would probably pull out on me, but at the track my car can compete or run faster than some huge cam cars when I still run my stock cam. So dont get to caught up in the big numbers on the cam... A matched setup always runs better, and also if you still dont have at minimum a LS6 intake then your putting in more cam than you can feed. Without the supporting mods for the cam the cam is not very productive.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 07-28-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SLV_WS6
LMAO you guys talking about big cams drive like **** on the street bahahahaha. My wife drives her WS6 every day with the ms3 on a 113 lsa. When we put the cam in it had pacesetter lt's,TSP y-pipe and magnaflow muffler, slp lid and the ms3 and it put down 406 at the wheel. TSP prc stage 2.5 ls6 heads bumped it to 443. the fast 92 and Nick Williams bumped it to 471.
Nice numbers! Liking this setup more now again.
Was wifes car an auto or M6?
Were all those rwhp #'s?
And were the heads milled?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
Nice numbers! Liking this setup more now again.
Was wifes car an auto or M6?
Were all those rwhp #'s?
And were the heads milled?
Its a M6
Yes those numbers are at the rear wheels, havent taken it to the track yet..
Texas Speed Precison Race Components Stage 2.5 LS6 Cylinder Heads but I dont think they were milled. It sounds awesome and is fast enough for her.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLV_WS6
Its a M6
Yes those numbers are at the rear wheels, havent taken it to the track yet..
Texas Speed Precison Race Components Stage 2.5 LS6 Cylinder Heads but I dont think they were milled. It sounds awesome and is fast enough for her.
What do you guys think of these Patriot Stage 2 heads with the MS3 cam?

http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/1867197921.html
Old 07-28-2010, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I really don't care to buy used heads unless I personally know the previous owner. I really could not tell you any thing on those heads though. I never had that brand and don't know any one that has either. I do agree with what others have said though. If you do not plan on doing heads and intake(suporting mods) I would not run the ms3. We knew when we did the cam that the other stuff would coom soon after.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
FWIW... There is a car in this thread that we went to the track the very same night and our cars are basically identical in setup except that I am still running the stock cam and the other car had a huge cam. I actually ran a tenth faster in the 1/8th mile than that car, and said car was on MT DR's and I was on Toyo DR's. Point is bigger is not always better.

That being said that exact car from a roll to top end race would probably pull out on me, but at the track my car can compete or run faster than some huge cam cars when I still run my stock cam. So dont get to caught up in the big numbers on the cam... A matched setup always runs better, and also if you still dont have at minimum a LS6 intake then your putting in more cam than you can feed.
Without the supporting mods for the cam the cam is not very productive.
That would be me but I was running 7.80s with hitting the limiter twice from 1-2. Not taking anything from your car but with that fixed atleast a faster 2 tenths. But agreed on the point, I like me big cam, some like smaller.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

for stock heads, you better be looking at a a 224 type cam. I had an MS3 on my stock 243's no one bothered to tell me about the shitty valves in the stock heads, so now Im replacing everything due to that fact.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
FWIW... There is a car in this thread that we went to the track the very same night and our cars are basically identical in setup except that I am still running the stock cam and the other car had a huge cam. I actually ran a tenth faster in the 1/8th mile than that car, and said car was on MT DR's and I was on Toyo DR's. Point is bigger is not always better. That being said that exact car from a roll to top end race would probably pull out on me, but at the track my car can compete or run faster than some huge cam cars when I still run my stock cam. So dont get to caught up in the big numbers on the cam... A matched setup always runs better, and also if you still dont have at minimum a LS6 intake then your putting in more cam than you can feed. Without the supporting mods for the cam the cam is not very productive.
This is far from proof of anything seeing how stock "completely identical" f-bodies have ran from high 12's to low 14's. Even removing the out laying runs, using 2 competant drivers, you could still easily see a .1 sec difference in ET.

I took the G8 to the track and ran .05 sec slower than a cammed GTO. Was I that close to it because of the cam or the driver?
Old 07-29-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by redws618
That would be me but I was running 7.80s with hitting the limiter twice from 1-2. Not taking anything from your car but with that fixed atleast a faster 2 tenths. But agreed on the point, I like me big cam, some like smaller.
I didn't know about the rev limiter issue, I had that issue on the 2-3 shift late in the night lol. But yeah I just try to shed some light sometimes that you can obtain what your looking for without going over board. Your car runs good but I was surprised to be close to the same times as you and several other F body's out that night that did have cams when mine is stock cam and its happened several times before that night. The 1/4 mile would probably be a way different story if I had to guess. I just know that my little cam rolls pretty decent. I would rather have a mild cam that hits hard a little lower down than the TREX and MS3. Glad you understood where I was coming from too. BTW are you going to Dallas Raceway tomorrow night? I plan on going and at least one other buddy so far pending my tire issue if you wanna come out. I know you have done a couple things since the cruise would be cool to see how much you picked up. Like I said I have a tire issue, or lack of tire, so im still on the fence about making it out, we'll see.

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
This is far from proof of anything seeing how stock "completely identical" f-bodies have ran from high 12's to low 14's. Even removing the out laying runs, using 2 competant drivers, you could still easily see a .1 sec difference in ET.

I took the G8 to the track and ran .05 sec slower than a cammed GTO. Was I that close to it because of the cam or the driver?

here let me put this here for you, I am going to quote myself on this one maybe it will help you out a little.

Originally Posted by ME
FWIW... There is a car in this thread that we went to the track the very same night and our cars are basically identical in setup except that I am still running the stock cam and the other car had a huge cam. I actually ran a tenth faster in the 1/8th mile than that car, and said car was on MT DR's and I was on Toyo DR's. Point is bigger is not always better. That being said that exact car from a roll to top end race would probably pull out on me, but at the track my car can compete or run faster than some huge cam cars when I still run my stock cam. So dont get to caught up in the big numbers on the cam...A matched setup always runs better, and also if you still dont have at minimum a LS6 intake then your putting in more cam than you can feed. Without the supporting mods for the cam the cam is not very productive.
I dont see a single time I wrote "proof" or "completely identical"

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 07-29-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Just get a T-rex... Its a panty dropper..
Old 07-29-2010, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Yeah pooterss, I should be on my nitrous tune by Saturday, also I replaced my fuel pump which is a night and day difference. A car that can't get enough fuel doesn't run like it should. Your car runs awesome, I was surprised it was running 7.9s stock. Also was that you I threw a rev to last week on rowlett rd? I thought about going this Saturday, probably go out there. You going?
Old 07-29-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

I really liked my torq. v2 made great powerband with heads/intake. sound clip for ya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0toxtrtjFk
Old 07-29-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

also i suggest just avoiding the 5.3l heads, if you want to grow get LS6 heads. Even stock rebuild ones milled would be better in the long run.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by redws618
Yeah pooterss, I should be on my nitrous tune by Saturday, also I replaced my fuel pump which is a night and day difference. A car that can't get enough fuel doesn't run like it should. Your car runs awesome, I was surprised it was running 7.9s stock. Also was that you I threw a rev to last week on rowlett rd? I thought about going this Saturday, probably go out there. You going?
Yup that was me dude, im thinking of going tomorrow night because I have a birthday party to go to Saturday night. Damn that sucks oh well, at least PM me or something and let me know how you run and on what shot size...

And yeah I thought 7.9 stock long block with 180,000 miles was pretty good. Its just basic bolt ons, stall, gears(not worth much), tires, and a fuel pump with a good tune. I think it definately has 7.8x in it with a better launch and better weather. I only got it to hook two times that night it spun every other pass and banged rev limiter, that was the first time with the new converter and fuel pump so I need to go out more and see what it does with better tires.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
What do you guys think of these Patriot Stage 2 heads with the MS3 cam?
Patriot =
Old 08-15-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do y'all think of the sts rearmount kit? I found one used I want to know if there is anything to look for before buying it? Are they hard to set up and what fuel pump do I need to upgrade to?
Old 08-15-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
What do y'all think of the sts rearmount kit? I found one used I want to know if there is anything to look for before buying it? Are they hard to set up and what fuel pump do I need to upgrade to?
you have a aluminum motor with high compression, yes you can run boost but not very many psi unless perfectly tuned and even then not much. I don't have hands on experience with the kit but it can't be hard to setup im sure you could figure it out if you go down that road. I would think since you can't run much boost a 255 fuel pump would be all you need along with bigger injectors.

But There is up to a 20hp difference in iron blocks vs aluminum blocks along with the extra strength of a iron block.. I would stay away from boosting ls1.

Stick with the cam idea imo.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

sts rear mounts are just for show more than anything, i'de rather have a procharger or a magie.

also before ever thinking about boost on a 4th gen i would first do rear end and suspension. boost is an absolute waste if you can't get it to the ground.

hey jay what LSA was that tv2?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I seen an sts kit on a trans am and I was not impressed. Actually alittle scared cause the turbo was only like 2" from the ground, one speed bump and your down. If you want a good cheap head, like mentioned before, get some LS6 heads and have them built, stainless valves, I prefur PRC springs, and either Yella Terra or Harland Sharp rocker arms. I have an MS3 that Im currently selling and its a nice and healthy shelf cam, but I have better heads now and more cubes so Im going bigger. But no matter what anyone says, use one peice stainless steel valves, there only $16.00 bucks a peace. I've replaced my LS1 and now rebuilding my LQ4 cause I used stock valves and 600+ lift springs.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Banned

If you have the ability to fab some **** up, buy a D1 headunit and bracket from Bob @ Brute Speed, fab up all the piping yourself, buy an ebay intercooler, get some 60# injectors and a 255 walbro, BOV, run around 7psi and I'm sure you can make 550+ Tod (TWS on here) has a camaro with a stock LS1, and 12 bolt I believe, with a D1 and makes 580. Not sure what boost setting though, but I'm sure it's not more than 9-10psi