Anyone know someone in the area who can repair F-Body windows?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know someone in the area who can repair F-Body windows?

The window on my passenger side went out and I was just wanting to know if there was anyone in the area that y'all might have in mind that does these repairs for a good price. Reason I am asking is because I'm not exactly familiar with repairing this problem (I know it is a common issue however) and kinda don't want to take it on myself with the probability of screwing something up. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xZZx
The window on my passenger side went out and I was just wanting to know if there was anyone in the area that y'all might have in mind that does these repairs for a good price. Reason I am asking is because I'm not exactly familiar with repairing this problem (I know it is a common issue however) and kinda don't want to take it on myself with the probability of screwing something up. Thanks.
Do it yourself as a mechanic is going to charge you an arm and a leg. Search here and over on CamaroZ28.com as there is tons of threads. Very easy to do and all you need is a drill and several drill bits. Took me 1 hour to do both doors.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Launching!

super simple...almost impossible to mess up
Old 08-10-2010, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Do it yourself as a mechanic is going to charge you an arm and a leg. Search here and over on CamaroZ28.com as there is tons of threads. Very easy to do and all you need is a drill and several drill bits. Took me 1 hour to do both doors.
Ahhh, well that is a relief. Just skimmed over a bit about it, easier than I thought haha. Now I kinda feel like an idiot for posting this, thanks man.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Just drill holes in the fiberglass sheet to expose the three window motor bolts, and there you go!
Old 08-10-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tripps
Just drill holes in the fiberglass sheet to expose the three window motor bolts, and there you go!
Actually, you mean the window motor rivets as you drill out the rivets and replace with bolts from the new motor. Make sure to use loctite blue to keep those bolts in place once you put the new motor in.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Actually, you mean the window motor rivets as you drill out the rivets and replace with bolts from the new motor. Make sure to use loctite blue to keep those bolts in place once you put the new motor in.
When I replaced mine the rivets were already drilled out and replaced with bolts. Sucker.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tripps
When I replaced mine the rivets were already drilled out and replaced with bolts. Sucker.
lol - ahhh second hand fbody!
Old 08-10-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

lol - ahhh second hand fbody!
Oh yeah. Already had the slits in the door panel near the top, and rivets removed.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:20 AM
On The Tree

Just did them today myself, wasn't too hard except for getting those rivets off. Lack of tools and wasn't having luck with the tools I had either haha. Still got the job done and saved a good bit of money.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xZZx
Just did them today myself, wasn't too hard except for getting those rivets off. Lack of tools and wasn't having luck with the tools I had either haha. Still got the job done and saved a good bit of money.
Great work!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

I hate window motors with a passion, I have had nothing but bad luck with them, I have replaced mine atleast once a year since Ive had my car, just did both a few weeks ago and now the passenger is locked up and wont go up or down so im gonna have to take it apart and see whats up with that.

Also just to show you how bad luck I have with these things, I buy a brand new on and the wires got put in backwars, so roll the window up it goes down and roll it down it goes up! it was an easy fix but still, then two days after the new one on the other side it locks up! I hate these damn things, good thing is i can do one in 15 mins or less lol
Old 08-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

I've replaced a couple on my f-bodies with stock replacements.. I could look, but would it be possible to replace with motor with something a little faster? I'll be replacing at least one more of mine pretty soon.

The Expedition we had and the Charger we have now zip the windows up and down.

David
Old 08-18-2010, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FireHawk178
I've replaced a couple on my f-bodies with stock replacements.. I could look, but would it be possible to replace with motor with something a little faster? I'll be replacing at least one more of mine pretty soon.

The Expedition we had and the Charger we have now zip the windows up and down.

David
There is some add on product that does this. I read a post here about it, I think it boost the voltage.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

The window motors are wired in a funky series from the factory, theres an aftermarket harness that greatly improves the functionality. Ive replaced both of mine with lifetime warrantied pieces from the local aftermarket parts house.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by quicksilver383
There is some add on product that does this. I read a post here about it, I think it boost the voltage.
yeah I have one, just havent put it on yet, Ill be doing that when I fix mine
Old 08-18-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think some of you guys are going about this problem the wrong way. You have to ask yourself, why do they keep failing. I've had mine replaced once before when the car was still under warranty, but since then the passenger window got slower and slower. I finally did some research and bought the Autotrix kit. One of the best mods, I ever did! My passenger window motor is now faster than my driver side. You can also make your own kit, here is the thread.

It's important to do it BEFORE the motor actually fails. Obviously, once it's stopped working, as in the case of the OP, this kit is not going to bring it back to life. The stock wiring is setup so whatever motor is installed, whether it be OEM, or the popular O'Reilly Auto Parts motor, they will ALWAYS slow down and eventually fail.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
I think some of you guys are going about this problem the wrong way. You have to ask yourself, why do they keep failing. I've had mine replaced once before when the car was still under warranty, but since then the passenger window got slower and slower. I finally did some research and bought the Autotrix kit. One of the best mods, I ever did! My passenger window motor is now faster than my driver side. You can also make your own kit, here is the thread.

It's important to do it BEFORE the motor actually fails. Obviously, once it's stopped working, as in the case of the OP, this kit is not going to bring it back to life. The stock wiring is setup so whatever motor is installed, whether it be OEM, or the popular O'Reilly Auto Parts motor, they will ALWAYS slow down and eventually fail.

Thats a more in depth explanation of what I said lol.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
Thats a more in depth explanation of what I said lol.
x2 but thanks for the links.