For those who live out in the country....how do you keep out spiders?

Old 08-20-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Default For those who live out in the country....how do you keep out spiders?

So whenever I find a job I'm planning on purchasing a house from my parents that's out in the country. Right now my grandmother is living in it and she pretty much only uses the living room, kitchen, and master bedroom and keeps the rest of the house closed up. I was going through it the other day and noticed a ton of spiders. I talked with my parents and they pretty much said to have the house sprayed once a year and to get into a regular cleaning habit and it will keep the spiders out. My main concern is for my daughters. My 18 month old wouldn't know that they could hurt her and might try and pick them up or eat them. That's the last thing I want to happen. So is that pretty much the correct thing to do? Spray regularly and keep on top of the cleaning? Or are there extra precautions I can take?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep on top of the cleaning, and spray malathion ( a relatively weak pesticide that takes care of ticks, chiggers, and other insects) in your yard around your house monthly or so... Also use a mild indoor insecticide available at pretty much any walmart around your door threshholds, baseboards, and anywhere the spiders might hide INSIDE your home. I live waaaay out in the country and this is the only way to keep the suckers under control...

OH yea, "Bleed Purple" I remember meeting you when you had the '97 and I had my '01 Formula in the HEB parking lot
Old 08-20-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The things you have to worry about are scorpions in the country, get ready to bring on the pain.

Make sure you look under stuff fairly often like photos hanging on the wall, I remember that's were I found them once.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brady346
keep on top of the cleaning, and spray malathion ( a relatively weak pesticide that takes care of ticks, chiggers, and other insects) in your yard around your house monthly or so... Also use a mild indoor insecticide available at pretty much any walmart around your door threshholds, baseboards, and anywhere the spiders might hide INSIDE your home. I live waaaay out in the country and this is the only way to keep the suckers under control...

OH yea, "Bleed Purple" I remember meeting you when you had the '97 and I had my '01 Formula in the HEB parking lot
Awesome, thanks! I'll probably run out to the local Wal-Mart and stock up on stuff and wage war before I move in. So you ended up graduating? I always wondered what happened to you, one day I'd see you rolling around town and the next you're nowhere to be seen, haha!

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
The things you have to worry about are scorpions in the country, get ready to bring on the pain.

Make sure you look under stuff fairly often like photos hanging on the wall, I remember that's were I found them once.
I haven't seen any scorpions around yet, but I'm sure those suckers are around. I'll probably take a week or so before I move in to spray the property down. I'm going to make a run to the local stores to see what they offer and what I can do about all the creepy crawlers. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Teching In

moth *****. they work and many other things too like snakes
Old 08-20-2010, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

What the informative guy above posted. There isn't much you can do except spray. They have been around my place every summer.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=TechCam97;13760259]Awesome, thanks! I'll probably run out to the local Wal-Mart and stock up on stuff and wage war before I move in. So you ended up graduating? I always wondered what happened to you, one day I'd see you rolling around town and the next you're nowhere to be seen, haha!

Yep, ended up graduating May '09. Sure enough enjoyed my stay in the Ville but you have to disappear occassionally in a town that small. I never really got to finish my Formula before I sold it. I had the cam and nitrous package sitting in the house ready for that 10 sec. pass but never got that stuff installed. Now, my LSx project is an '85 mustang notch with a nitrous fed 5.3 and TH350 trans. Whatever happened to the dark green T/A? I know there are some really fast diesels out there, but it's amazing what a good running LS1 car can do in terms of shutting them oil burners down. haha
Old 08-20-2010, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

terminex.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by burple
moth *****. they work and many other things too like snakes
Hmm, I'll have to check those out as well. Thanks!

Originally Posted by 99CamVanillaTop
What the informative guy above posted. There isn't much you can do except spray. They have been around my place every summer.
Yea, that's what I figured. I'm sure I'll wage a little war with these suckers!

Originally Posted by brady346
Yep, ended up graduating May '09. Sure enough enjoyed my stay in the Ville but you have to disappear occassionally in a town that small. I never really got to finish my Formula before I sold it. I had the cam and nitrous package sitting in the house ready for that 10 sec. pass but never got that stuff installed. Now, my LSx project is an '85 mustang notch with a nitrous fed 5.3 and TH350 trans. Whatever happened to the dark green T/A? I know there are some really fast diesels out there, but it's amazing what a good running LS1 car can do in terms of shutting them oil burners down. haha
Sounds like a nice project with the 85! I sold my green Trans Am in July of 2008. My fiance was pregnant and I figured it was time to upgrade to a vehicle that I could take my kids around in. My 5 year old was ticked that I sold it though, she still is! She always tells me to "Go get your green car back, Daddy." I picked up my 99 Z28 up last summer, she's been a fun little project! Now that I've owned an LS1 I'll never go back to the LT1, my old Trans Am seems like it was barely moving compared to this thing!
Old 08-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Get some stuff called demon. You can get it at most feed stores. It can be used indoors or outside(pretty good residual). Outside malthon works good, or get a bottle of permethrin(active ingredient in most bug killers and dog shampoos/dips). Its an oil base so it works really well outside.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Teching In

I just realized your in temple, give central texas feed in killeen a call, 254 628 1002, they'll have it
Old 08-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Launching!

+1 on the demon. hit them with the serious industrial pesticides. indoor and out.
http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.co...y.aspx?iid=216

save some money. its the same stuff the commercial guys use.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kamikazekyle05
Get some stuff called demon. You can get it at most feed stores. It can be used indoors or outside(pretty good residual). Outside malthon works good, or get a bottle of permethrin(active ingredient in most bug killers and dog shampoos/dips). Its an oil base so it works really well outside.
Originally Posted by XtremeBBQ
+1 on the demon. hit them with the serious industrial pesticides. indoor and out.
http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.co...y.aspx?iid=216

save some money. its the same stuff the commercial guys use.
Awesome, I'll check that stuff out! Thanks!
Old 08-23-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Regular

1" PVC and some blackcat firecrackers.

It is more fun than spraying for them.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:33 PM
8 Second Club

An AR15... It'll take care of anything...
Old 08-23-2010, 12:34 PM
RCC
On The Tree

I have a spider be gone system on my house that automatically goes off twice a day. I dont have problems with spiders or any other bugs for that matter.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Default Demon w-p

Its called Demon WP....works great for all critters...buy it at feed stores or pest control store sand do it yourself with a sprayer.

It works..same stuff the pros spray and charge you a ton to spray it.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Randy_S
1" PVC and some blackcat firecrackers.

It is more fun than spraying for them.
Haha, I bet!

Originally Posted by Mr Powell
An AR15... It'll take care of anything...
Check.

Originally Posted by RCC
I have a spider be gone system on my house that automatically goes off twice a day. I dont have problems with spiders or any other bugs for that matter.
I have heard about that system from my friend's father. I'm definitely going to look into it!

Originally Posted by Footlead
Its called Demon WP....works great for all critters...buy it at feed stores or pest control store sand do it yourself with a sprayer.

It works..same stuff the pros spray and charge you a ton to spray it.
Yea, Demon is on my list of things to pick up! I haven't had the time to run by any of the local feed stores, but when I do I'll check it out. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Banned

A couple of cats around the yard helps out too. They love to kill **** and you will be surprised at some of the stuff they have in their mouths sometimes.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thesource
A couple of cats around the yard helps out too. They love to kill **** and you will be surprised at some of the stuff they have in their mouths sometimes.
No joke. I've seen one kill a snake before.

Free range chickens, guineas, and even peafowl are helpful also.

Search this Thread