oil pan leak, few questions inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pan leak, few questions inside

I posted this in the general maintenence section as well. I've had a slow oil leak for ever since I had my 408 put in almost 2 years ago. I've had multiple people tell me it's the rear main seal and I had it replaced about 4 months ago when I had my built tranny put in and it still leaks. So I get under the car a few days ago, put it on 4 jack stands, clean all the oil mess off the pan and surrounding areas and fire it up. I let it idle for about 5 minutes or so then kill it. Get under the car with a flashlight and after searching for a few minutes I find a hairline crack about 1/4in long on the oil pan. So I call around to a few local shops and get estimates ranging from 400$-600$ for labor alone (not including the oil pan, gasket, etc) to install a new oil pan. I'm wondering is there any way I can seal it and get away without replacing it. I figured why not ask and try and save the $. Any input is appreciated.

Kody-
Old 09-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Launching!

kody you could try and jb weld it but thats only putting a bandaid on it. spend the dough and do it right you gotta buy a new pan bro. you spent all that money on the motor no sense on letting it get ruined. sucks but fixing it right now will save more money down the line.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:00 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kody you can weld it, but since it has had oil on it you will have a VERY hard time getting any kind of epoxy, JB weld etc... To stick and make a successfull seal. But you can remove it and weld it or seal it with some other product such as JB weld etc... reinstall it or get another oil pan etc...
Old 09-13-2010, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

If you clean it well enough and remove the oil Jb weld will hold well. I know from experience. I was cruzing one time and ran over a large rock and it hit my gas tank breaking the mounting of the fuel pump. Dropped the tank pullled the pump cleaned it good and jb welded it and let it sit over night. I had that car for 3 years and never failed. Sold it to my friend and now his dad drives it. And that was 2 years ago..
Old 09-13-2010, 11:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Drain the oil, clean the area really well with brake cleaner or carb cleaner, put JB Kwik on there instead of regular JB weld so it sets fast. Should work just fine. Have done it before on other applications. Like a transmission housing.

If you cant get that to work then you will have to bite the bullet and replace it.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have a stock k member I would J and B it. You could have it welded but it would be hard to tig it in the car. It doesn't have any pressure on it ,JB should be fine. I used it on my front cover before.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the input guys, I think I'm gonna give the JB weld a try and see how it holds. If that doesn't hold then I will have to bite the bullet n have it replaced. I do have a stock k member btw.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Sometimes jb weld won't work because there will be oil in the crack itself which makes it difficult. What I did once for a cheap person was get a die grinder and slightly grind into the crack so some adhesive type silicone we have at work could sit in the crack and give it a better chance of sealing. its held up for the last 1.5 yrs.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by 5w20
Sometimes jb weld won't work because there will be oil in the crack itself which makes it difficult. What I did once for a cheap person was get a die grinder and slightly grind into the crack so some adhesive type silicone we have at work could sit in the crack and give it a better chance of sealing. its held up for the last 1.5 yrs.
Good plan, at minimum sanding the area is a very good idea to get the the sealer/JB weld to hold better.

Quick Reply: oil pan leak, few questions inside