What all should a managers job be at a repair shop

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What all should a managers job be at a repair shop

Pretty much just want to Bitch. I work at a repair shop here in dfw. The manager just answers the phone and plays on Craigslist all day. Shouldnt he go pick up customers and parts. I diagnose every car pull and install all front wheel drive transmissions and most rear wheel drive transmissions clean the shop plus order my own parts. While he
answers phone calls and plays on computer all day. Now he wants me to go pick up parts at junkyard I drive a fbody not a truck like him. Plus he wants me to pick up customers at work Wtf. Shouldn't he pick up parts and customera
Old 10-04-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get happy or get gone.

He runs the show so if you got a problem you should take it up with him.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DPRock
Pretty much just want to Bitch. I work at a repair shop here in dfw. The manager just answers the phone and plays on Craigslist all day. Shouldnt he go pick up customers and parts. I diagnose every car pull and install all front wheel drive transmissions and most rear wheel drive transmissions clean the shop plus order my own parts. While he
answers phone calls and plays on computer all day. Now he wants me to go pick up parts at junkyard I drive a fbody not a truck like him. Plus he wants me to pick up customers at work Wtf. Shouldn't he pick up parts and customera
why should you have to use your own car for that? isn't there a company truck or something?

I don't think he can force you to use your personal vehicle for company errands like that especially if said vehicle is not equipped to do so. what happens if you have to pick up 2 adult customers in your car? i really don't think either of them would want to ride in the back. same goes for the parts, why should you have to ruin your interior just to go grab some oil covered transmission or something?

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 10-04-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

I would say it's his show unless his actions harm your pay or make undo use of your personal property, ie. Your car. But at the end of the day the guy can request you to do anything. It's up to you to negotiate around it.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

The manager drives a 90 dodge truck owner of shop drives Toyota suv, other tech drives a suv. I have work to do on cars he has phones to answer but can forward the phones to his cell. Plus I drive a fbody not made to pick up parts and what happens if I have a wreck with a customer in my car.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like you need to step up your game and take his Job...

really, he is the manager for a reason and he can do what he wants as long as the owner of the shop approves of the way he is running his business
Old 10-04-2010, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
Sounds like you need to step up your game and take his Job...

really, he is the manager for a reason and he can do what he wants as long as the owner of the shop approves of the way he is running his business
Some people have there jobs simply because of a family or friend connection. He probably has it in good with the owner.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99CamVanillaTop
Some people have there jobs simply because of a family or friend connection. He probably has it in good with the owner.
Could be true but he is the manager and there really is not too much that can be done about it. All you can do is deal with it or start looking for another job...

I'm sure that manager deals with a lot more than you see. There is more to being a manager than answering phones and playing on CL.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a common frustration for those that look up to a manager and "see" what they do and don't approve.
Once you move up into a manager position, you'll figure out real fast just how much needs to be done when no one is looking.
I noticed how much the griping and bitching all the teammembers do really starts to add up when you're working on a time line and trying to get your jobs done.
Also, while communication is ideal for a successful business, there's alot of things that a supervisor/manager does NOT have to voice to his team.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:40 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

A manager's job is not to work. A manager's job is to make sure you are working, bills get paid, and customers are happy.

That being said... I used to manage restaurants and I used to make sure I always worked just as hard as I asked my employees to. They respected me for it and always worked better for me then they did the other managers. You should take it up with him. If you don't like his response then find someone else to work for.

Last edited by HTX; 10-05-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:19 PM
Launching!

What if your driving some customers around and you get into an accident. Isn't there anything you can say to the owner/manager about liability for you having to pick up customers in your vehicle? There has to be a stopping point or at least another job locally for you.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Bottom line, he is the manager and if you do not like the way things are running either start looking for another job or try and prove to the owner that you are working your *** off in hopes of someday being the manager. Communication is key to all businesses, and employees look up to their managers and owners as guidance on how work should be performed. If the owners and managers slack off, its going to give all employees reason to slack off.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

yea all of the above are correct. its his job to make sure you are doing yours, not the other way around. it sucks but thats why i took my *** to another company and became a fleet manager and even still you will have problems. best thing is to explain your frustrations and i dont mean bitch abt him not doing his job but mainly bitch about how you will not use your vehicle. ask him to use his truck. if your hourly even better because at this point your getting paid to do nothing. that was another thing that motivated me to move up. got tired of working my *** off for comission. just tell him. i know that i always talked to my employees. one reason is happy employees work well which then makes me look better. a happy work enviroment leads to a successfull business. so talk to him. if hes a professional he'll understand.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:33 AM
Teching In

I work in a busy repair shop on 1960 and its a manager and my boss always up front. the way it should be in my opinion. my boss used to have 2 managers and himself and there always busy working with customers and such. the manager here now spends most of her time on facebook but when it gets busy she does her thing. but as for him getting parts... thats what GS's are for.

And either tell him you need gas compensation or run your car into a ditch on a parts run since your on company insurance on the clock and get yourself some new paint! :0
Old 10-14-2010, 07:38 AM
Staging Lane

My job title is r&r tech I was hired to remove and replace transmissions not pick up customers, parts, drop off customers. The manager only sits on his *** answers phone calls what I'm trying to tell him is forward the phones to his cell doesn't cost him a dime and pick up drop off customers or parts so I can finish the work he wants me too so he can get his 10% of sells
Old 10-14-2010, 07:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My job title is r&r tech I was hired to remove and replace transmissions not pick up customers, parts, drop off customers. The manager only sits on his *** answers phone calls what I'm trying to tell him is forward the phones to his cell doesn't cost him a dime and pick up drop off customers or parts so I can finish the work he wants me too so he can get his 10% of sells
From what I have read.... it sounds to me that you work for a no name garage. Communication is the best answer, don't be scared.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Launching!

The manager drives a 90 dodge truck owner of shop drives Toyota suv, other tech drives a suv. I have work to do on cars he has phones to answer but can forward the phones to his cell. Plus I drive a fbody not made to pick up parts and what happens if I have a wreck with a customer in my car.
Your company is liable for anything that happens even if you are using your own personal vehicle.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

I used to manage an automotive shop, and it sucks. I don't know about him but I was always busy ordering parts, tracking inventory, tracking progress on work orders, babysitting crybaby mechanics, etc. I respect somebody telling me up front and immediately if they have an issue (A REAL one!!!) but the retards who'd just bitch and moan to everybody else on their 10484020028490th smoke break of the day got on my **** list real quick. I had my hands tied in alot of ways due to an owner that loved to micromanage. So I quit, went to driving 18 wheelers!!! No more whining, complaining, back stabbing, etc!! Wooooooooo
Old 10-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Teching In

My job as a service manager is to be able to do everyone's job. I do everything from answering phones to turning wrenches. When the owner tried to make me run errands in my vehicle i told him to go **** himself!! Well not in those words but you get the point. Speak your mind, if not they will continue to abuse you.
Nice to see Wormboy chime in since he sucks as a manager (I used to work for him ) Just kidding!!! Hes a good guy.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Problem is fixed thanks for all the advice guys