Scammed: Bryan Automotive - AJ Hill anyone know this place?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Scammed: Bryan Automotive - AJ Hill anyone know this place?

First off any help greatly appreciated from fellow upstanding automotive gearheads out there.

I bought/paid for a Snap on Solus Pro from this guy on ebay.
Now he's unresponsive. It appears that due to how I paid I'm not covered by Ebay.

Does anyone know of this place or if it's even a real place? If it's not real, it's certainly an elaborate scam.

Here's the info.
I bought it from AJ Hil
His phone 979-436-1331
His full name is Andrew Jay Hill
His voicemail says "Bryan Automotive, your #1 source..."

It's possible he goes by AJ Finkes.
His email is finkesa@yahoo.com

Here is his apparent business.
Bryan Automotive in Bryan, TX
http://bcsauto.com/web/index.html

Does anyone know the other guys listed on his page?
David Finkes and David Easley Jr. ?

The business name and checking account I sent money too.
Brazos Valley Auto Angels
http://www.corporationwiki.com/Texas.../38284254.aspx

I talked to him on the phone several times before purchasing and he certainly talked the talk of a legitimate experienced mechanic.

It appears that I was duped by a second chance offering on Ebay.
I was outbid, by him I'm guessing from looking at the bid history.
I received an email the next day saying the high bidder backed out, which is BS. Yes very stupid on my part and I'm pissed at myself too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I'm open to suggestions, offers to help etc.
I'm out $3325 and PO'ed.
I'm willing to make it worthwhile to anyone who wants to help me and get results in getting my money back or the actual product if it exists.

Last edited by Speed Demon; 10-16-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sucks man...hopefully someone that lives close to him can help you out...i know we have many texas member in that area...the ls1tech community usually sticks together and helps each other out on scammers and such
Old 10-16-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by charlie_gonzales
that sucks man...hopefully someone that lives close to him can help you out...i know we have many texas member in that area...the ls1tech community usually sticks together and helps each other out on scammers and such

Thanks, hopefully so.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

I hate thieves with a passion! And i feel your pain. So i searched a little bit for you... Everything is open to the public these days anyway. If you look him up at http://justiceweb.co.brazos.tx.us/ under civil cases, it looks like hes been to court twice for civil cases in Brazos county. The most recent dates 07/23/2010, and it was for a divorce, seems to be somewhat messy too considering the protective order. Could be the reason this is happening, just a thought. How long has it been since you've heard from him? If its been more than 10 days call the local pd he is a business owner. I just wish you the best and i hope you get some reconciliation from this.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by throwed_TA
I hate thieves with a passion! And i feel your pain. So i searched a little bit for you... Everything is open to the public these days anyway. If you look him up at http://justiceweb.co.brazos.tx.us/ under civil cases, it looks like hes been to court twice for civil cases in Brazos county. The most recent dates 07/23/2010, and it was for a divorce, seems to be somewhat messy too considering the protective order. Could be the reason this is happening, just a thought. How long has it been since you've heard from him? If its been more than 10 days call the local pd he is a business owner. I just wish you the best and i hope you get some reconciliation from this.
Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated!

Does it have to be 10 days before PD will do anything? I guess I should go ahead and call today and file a report.

He received payment on Wednesday. Up until he received payment he responded almost immediately to phone calls and texts. He answered the phone every time I called. He said he would ship it Thursday am. Heard nothing from him on Thursday, would not respond. Friday 11am, texted said he had been traveling and would call "Michelle" and get me a tracking number for me that day. Since then I've heard nothing and his phone is off today. I've called his business and only get voice mail.

He has not answered the phone or called me back since receiving payment.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Seems like hes putting you on the back burner for being out of state. If he is indeed a merchant i believe he has 10 days to send you a tracking number or atleast let you know whats going on before you can do anything, dont hold me to that though, anyone else? Make sure you atleast have documentation of the money you gave up. Bill of sale would be best, doubt you have one from the sound of it. He really could be busy too, you never know unfortunately. I feel your anticipation and ill be following this one. Im pretty close to bryan/cs and have friends all over that area. Ill see what i can find out about the shop.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought it was like 5days??.......and seeing as it's over $500 and going over state lines, it's a Federal Offense now......That much I do know
Old 10-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GreatWhiteZ28
I thought it was like 5days??.......and seeing as it's over $500 and going over state lines, it's a Federal Offense now......That much I do know
Yea man im not so sure on the time period. And you're right about that one, good ole interstate commerce.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by throwed_TA
Seems like hes putting you on the back burner for being out of state. If he is indeed a merchant i believe he has 10 days to send you a tracking number or atleast let you know whats going on before you can do anything, dont hold me to that though, anyone else? Make sure you atleast have documentation of the money you gave up. Bill of sale would be best, doubt you have one from the sound of it. He really could be busy too, you never know unfortunately. I feel your anticipation and ill be following this one. Im pretty close to bryan/cs and have friends all over that area. Ill see what i can find out about the shop.
True, could be.

The fact that the original winner of the auction supposedly backed out is very suspicious. The original winner has zero ebay feedback history and account is less than 30 days old, which says to me that's it's a bogus account set up for the sole purpose of running the bid up.

Last edited by Speed Demon; 10-16-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Speed Demon
True, could be.

The fact that the original winner of the auction supposedly backed out is very suspicious. The original winner has zero ebay feedback history, which says to me that's it's a bogus account set up for the sole purpose of running the bid up.
That is what it looks like. Another reason people do shill bidding is to be able to offer a 2nd chance offer if the 1st winner backs out. Only problem is you are not covered under 2nd chance and there is no record to ebay that you actually bought it, so pay at your own risk. It sucks but there are people crooked people out there and you can't stop them.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ProStreet_632
That is what it looks like. Another reason people do shill bidding is to be able to offer a 2nd chance offer if the 1st winner backs out. Only problem is you are not covered under 2nd chance and there is no record to ebay that you actually bought it, so pay at your own risk. It sucks but there are people crooked people out there and you can't stop them.
I did actually win or accept the second chance offer through Ebay.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:22 PM

For that kind of cash, I being the buyer would track him down and get my cash or goods.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:15 PM
10 Second Club

I'll try and run by that shop tomorrow and scope it out, If you want a pm would be great with auction numbers, names etc....
Old 10-16-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BADZ
For that kind of cash, I being the buyer would track him down and get my cash or goods.
True, very true. I have no plans of just letting this go.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1bdBULLITT
I'll try and run by that shop tomorrow and scope it out, If you want a pm would be great with auction numbers, names etc....
Hey, PM sent.
Thanks
Old 10-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If the number your calling is his shop number then they could have just closed down for the weekend. Let's hope that is what is goin on. Then there are those people that sell things and when you pay them they don't speak to ya anymore. They still ship the goods but they leave you in the dark on the status of things. Hope it works out for ya buddy. That's enough money to take a trip down to Texas and get your money back in one way or another for sure.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Allways_Lost
If the number your calling is his shop number then they could have just closed down for the weekend. Let's hope that is what is goin on. Then there are those people that sell things and when you pay them they don't speak to ya anymore. They still ship the goods but they leave you in the dark on the status of things. Hope it works out for ya buddy. That's enough money to take a trip down to Texas and get your money back in one way or another for sure.
Well, I called the shop number and his number on Thursday, Friday, and today, emailed him, texted him, etc. all to no avail. His cell has been off all day today. My last message on Friday was, "if I don't hear from you tonight I assume you are screwing me over and I'm taking the next step to resolve this. Call me and let me know what's going on."

Maybe he got the money, blew it all on beer and hookers and has been too busy to call back. Who knows, still shady BS in my book.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

i work in bryan texas. how can i help? need to swing by his shop?

J
Old 10-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Speed Demon
Well, I called the shop number and his number on Thursday, Friday, and today, emailed him, texted him, etc. all to no avail. His cell has been off all day today. My last message on Friday was, "if I don't hear from you tonight I assume you are screwing me over and I'm taking the next step to resolve this. Call me and let me know what's going on."

Maybe he got the money, blew it all on beer and hookers and has been too busy to call back. Who knows, still shady BS in my book.

Ya I'm with ya now dude. I didn't see that you called him that early. Maybe some one can swing by there and see what's goin on.
You got a picture of what you bought. Then someone could check it out if they go by his place.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

WOW Im am suprised you were even bidding or looking at buying an item that cost that much from some one that only has 1 feedback that wasn't even positive. I also never knew that you weren't covered by ebay protection on a second chance purchase. I hope you get what you payed for this sucks..

Quick Reply: Scammed: Bryan Automotive - AJ Hill anyone know this place?