houston raceway park (water in the gas) Beware***

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If yall know other places to get race gas, post em up. That way we can bring our own water and dirt free gas when we go to the track.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:50 PM

Dang, that sucks John, the car was running so good on Saturday.

Kurt
Old 11-22-2010, 10:10 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang it man! That explains why you didn't get to run on Sunday. I tried to call you, but no answer.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys for the support.. As of right now, I have called 3 times trying to get ahold of who I was told to talk to about the situation but still havn't spoke to her.
The car is back apart, I took the head off the left bank but not seeing any abnormal wear or any obvious damage.. Valves look good, pistons dont show anything, motor seems to spin freely without any noises when turning by hand.
I havnt taken the drivers side head off yet but I mic'd the distance of piston travel and all 4 on the left bank seem to be 3.620'ish down in the hole and all come up to almost exact deck height at TDC. No cylinder wear or anything, however I feel a feint click noise every so often when rotating it. Almost as if it's coming from the timing chain area? Could just be from the bottom end, wich it most likely is.. Never heard of hydrolocking breaking a timing gear tooth but ya never know..
Not sure, but going to go ahead and pull the motor tomorrow and go through the bottom end and see what I can find.
It's pretty shitty that it had to kick it at idle lmao! I appreciate all the help I'v got from James,Kurt, and Patrick over the last week or so in helping me get the car ready for the Clash! No doubt it would have given em' hell in its class.
I'll get it back together soon with or without the help of the people at fault. I'll take it one step at a time.. I dont really want to get caught up in a big legal thing but I do have witnesses that were right there when the chick said "I feel so bad for selling you bad gas".
I'll keep yall posted about the outcome of this mess and any carnage pics I find along the way.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

O and if you are in the Houston area you can get any type of of race gas at Smiley's over off of rayford sawdust. They have everything and have never had a problem with them. You can also get e85 at the Kroger in Humble. $1.80/gal. Or you can always get "water" at HRP for $9.00/gal. I heard it isn't as user friendly tho...
Old 11-23-2010, 06:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HOPS in Santa Fe. They pump it out of a 55 gallon drum for you. VP
Old 11-23-2010, 06:50 AM
TECH Regular

Good luck man
Old 11-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

Heres just a couple of carnage pics.. pretty nifty huh?

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/...2/SDC10221.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/...2/SDC10217.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/...2/SDC10235.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/...2/SDC10233.jpg
Old 11-25-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that sucks man. GL.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:53 PM
Teching In

holy **** dude.. id raise hell.. thats crazy sorry to hear.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

How does bad fuel hyrolock a motor, honestly wondering. I thought it would just poor unused out the exhaust if it didn't ignite during combustion. Scary if it didn't with all these hole in the wall gas stations!
Old 11-27-2010, 08:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bills02raptor
How does bad fuel hyrolock a motor, honestly wondering. I thought it would just poor unused out the exhaust if it didn't ignite during combustion. Scary if it didn't with all these hole in the wall gas stations!
X2, I have been wondering the same thing when this thread was started. I was hoping HKE or LME would have commented in here.

Usually a motor will get hydro-locked when the car is running and water is forced into the intake (Flooded roads, etc...) and can not get out fast enough, this usually results in a bent rod.

If the car was running and all of the sudden it started running real rough I would think there is a problem somewhere else. I do not think an injector can put out enough volume of fuel/water to hydro-lock a motor while it was running.

Maybe someone with more experience in this area would chime in. I see it bending a rod not breaking a piston when a motor is hydro-locked.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

That sucks man...some carnage you got there
Old 11-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

I don't think that is a result of hydrolock looks more like very bad detonation which could def. be caused by water in the fuel.....just my op.....
Old 11-27-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MY06TBSS
I don't think that is a result of hydrolock looks more like very bad detonation which could def. be caused by water in the fuel.....just my op.....
That motor did not hydrolock. The amount of fuel put out by the injector is calibrated based on the tune. Like said engine hydrolock because too much water is ingested from the intake. Water does not burn like fuel. I think it broke the piston because of detonation.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
That motor did not hydrolock. The amount of fuel put out by the injector is calibrated based on the tune. Like said engine hydrolock because too much water is ingested from the intake. Water does not burn like fuel. I think it broke the piston because of detonation.

x2 what he said
Old 11-27-2010, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

Damn....sorry to hear about that. Good luck.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:37 AM
Staging Lane

I'm not going to argue the fact wether it was hydrolock or det. It happen with the car idleing at 900 rpms maybe a minute or two after pumping the **** in my car.
The plug also didnt show signs of detonation. And noway enough to cause that much damage.
All that was done to the plug was the ground strap was pushed shut. No shiny metallic specs or anything.
Looks to me more like the piston and combustion chamber tried to compress and combust something that it couldnt, i;e WATER and the resistance was too much for the piston and or rod to handle.
Honestly, I could care less wether it was this or that. The fact that I have a half a liter or more of water thats in a bottle that came out of my fuel rail minutes after I used their pump and a grenaded engine is all the proof I need to beleive it was "water" related. Especially after i drove the car more then 500 miles that weekend just fine up until the point I pumped that gas in my car. Patrick G, kurt, kenny, and many more buddys that were at the track that day with me can attest to that.
As for HRP doing anything about it, I have been talking with Seth the general manager of the track almost every day and were working on getting this sorted out.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Zman420
I'm not going to argue the fact wether it was hydrolock or det. It happen with the car idleing at 900 rpms maybe a minute or two after pumping the **** in my car.
The plug also didnt show signs of detonation. And noway enough to cause that much damage.
All that was done to the plug was the ground strap was pushed shut. No shiny metallic specs or anything.
Looks to me more like the piston and combustion chamber tried to compress and combust something that it couldnt, i;e WATER and the resistance was too much for the piston and or rod to handle.
Honestly, I could care less wether it was this or that. The fact that I have a half a liter or more of water thats in a bottle that came out of my fuel rail minutes after I used their pump and a grenaded engine is all the proof I need to beleive it was "water" related. Especially after i drove the car more then 500 miles that weekend just fine up until the point I pumped that gas in my car. Patrick G, kurt, kenny, and many more buddys that were at the track that day with me can attest to that.
As for HRP doing anything about it, I have been talking with Seth the general manager of the track almost every day and were working on getting this sorted out.
As long as it get sorted out that is all that matters. Hopefully they will make it right. Keep us updated on what happens. Mistakes happen, its what people do to fix them is what matters.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
As long as it get sorted out that is all that matters. Hopefully they will make it right. Keep us updated on what happens. Mistakes happen, its what people do to fix them is what matters.
well said