Gran Turismo 5 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya its kinda strange theres no 400m 1000m or top speed run...there was in all 4 GT's before!! And its pretty fucked up how they delay it so long for stupid nascar but then they dont even put the 1/4mile in...if i wanted to drive a goddam nascar id go buy the ****** nascar game!!!

They delayed it too long and everyone expects it to be gods greatest gift on the earth, thats where they screwed up in my opinion...and itd be nice if there was at least one trans am and one less skyline for me to drive.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, pretty dissapointed that there is no Pontiac f-body. but i'd be god damned if they didn't have a fcking go-cart!

The problem with Gran Turismo series, and i'm not really complaining because I love GT, is that it's Japanese. Simple as that. Japanese game designers are going to include the cars that they see and like. Forza made for the Microsoft X-Box 360 is an American console uses a lot more domestics. I'll still agree that it is rediculous to include 20+ honda civics and leave out the firebird, cts-v, 03-04 cobra stang, s-10, c4 ZR1 the list goes on.

all and all though, and I haven't had much time to play, it's a kick *** game. But, don't buy it thinking its going to be the best game that has ever been on this earth or you will be dissapointed. I will say that it's far better than GT-3 a-Spec and GT-4 though. One last thing i know that GT-4 had the 400m drag strip and it was fun to see what you could run, but you have to remember that Gran Turismo is a circut race simulator.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Maybe if Americans bitch enough they'll make a patch or extra downloadable domestic models.

wishful thinking i'm sure, but i'm going to keep dreaming!
Old 12-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Love driving my 02 T/A WS6 on forza
Old 12-01-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Hartje
Maybe if Americans bitch enough they'll make a patch or extra downloadable domestic models.

wishful thinking i'm sure, but i'm going to keep dreaming!
haha ya thatd be nice but kinda doubt it...and there is actually a C4 ZR1 in the used car lot every now n then, i was gunna buy it but got the grandsport instead
Old 12-01-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chrismikeb
haha ya thatd be nice but kinda doubt it...and there is actually a C4 ZR1 in the used car lot every now n then, i was gunna buy it but got the grandsport instead
I have both the GS and C4 ZR1......both stock though, as well as my 87 GNX
Old 12-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Watched some youtube videos of the game. Why does the sound suck so bad on GT5? The cars sound like vacuum cleaners and the sound is way to jumpy
Old 12-01-2010, 11:43 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Watched some youtube videos of the game. Why does the sound suck so bad on GT5? The cars sound like vacuum cleaners and the sound is way to jumpy
its like that on all of the gt games
Old 12-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Originally Posted by v8sten
its like that on all of the gt games
Why? Man those designers are smart. Let's make a game that looks awesome but sounds like dog ****, oh and lets take 4 years to make it.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

Man i'm hoping i wont be to dissapointed after reading these reviews....
Old 12-02-2010, 12:30 AM
9 Second Club

its a good game but it could of been alot better. imo forza is better
Old 12-02-2010, 01:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't got it yet.

The ability to import stuff from GT5 Prologue hasn't been implemented which is a big turn off to me since I completed that... I should at least get XP and licenses or maybe a few credits. Allegedly something will be implemented with a patch.

As far as Forza, I played Forza 3 on a friend's 360 quite a bit. I have to say I was a lot more impressed with it than the previous ones. There are only a couple things that I like about it better than Gran Turismo...

The Firebird is obvious (has multiple generations even)... would be nice if Gran Turismo could have gotten that... they sort of have a weird mixed bag of Pontiacs.

The more specific upgrades including engine swaps. That is really cool. Audi R8 road car with the LeMans diesel engine is cool even if it is also sort of ridiculous at the same time.

The performance classes are helpful if you want to keep your races close. This is something that GT actually sort of implemented in GT2 but got away from. In GT2 most of the races had horsepower restrictions. Granted, if you were smart you could still tune a car that was a lot better than the others. This was gone for GT3 and wasn't in GT4. GT5: P had the Performance Points that were relevant when you unlocked tuned cars and were doing the S series, but I personally feel there were a few balance issues with their point system It was better than nothing though.

I am more of a Gran Turismo fan for a few reasons chief among them being the physics. If there is any question play GT4 and up with a force feedback wheel. GT5: P with "Professional Physics" and the wheel are very good. The cars seem a bit more natural to me and I think weight transfer is modeled a lot better than in Forza.

At any rate, I played through most of GT, got 100% on GT2 (which I played on PC with an emulator and keyboard ), 100% on GT3 on PS2, I think I am at something like 94% on GT4 (since I got pissed off at Driving Mission 34 and stopped playing it... all of that was actually played on my PS3), and finished all the events in GT5: P... so that is definitely a metric assload more time in that series than in Forza.

I know that GT gets some heat for the volume of crappy cars, but yes it is a Japanese title. Interestingly enough though, the series creator's favorite car is the Ford GT40 (hmmm sort of explains the cover of GT4 and the overpowered Ford GT-LM Test car in GT5: P), and he stated his favorite types of cars were American cars from the 1960's... I like the used cars in the game. I do think there could be some optimization of the list however.

I do not have GT5 yet and although I have been a fan for a long time there are some things that really annoy me based on the reviews. For one the Prologue import issue which may more may not get fixed with a patch and which I mentioned above. I also haven't really been a huge fan of racecars in Gran Turismo... in the first one there really weren't any except for when you did the racing mod to your cars. GT2 introduced a couple, but they were still rare and you still had the racing mod (which I used to great effect on the 1995 ZR1 which was red, white and blue and with which I managed to beat the World Championship against the likes of the Toyota GT-one). GT3 took out used cars and added open wheel racers and even more purpose built race cars, which I thought was a bit against the spirit of the series. The whole concept of buying a car that a normal person could buy and slowly improving it over time, eventually turning it into a real race car was pretty cool. GT4 brought back the used cars, which was nice, but added a lot of dubious features... at least you could B-spec the realistically long endurance races... This is sort of rambling but GT5 reintroduced the racing mod except it is only available for 17 out of 1000+ cars, WTF?

Also I think it is sort of lame they have 200 premium cars and 800+ halfassed cars. I know, on the track they don't look so bad, but the lack of interior views is quite sad. Maybe if they didn't put in NASCAR and had a several fewer total cars they could have had interiors for all of them. Then if you want to add cars later do it through DLC. And it still bugs me that there is a "2000 (C5) Z06" in the game when no such car exists (it was mislabled in GT4 too, even though it was properly an '01 in GT3). Oddly enough, from the list I saw they added an '04, which is nice but what is odd is the '04 is premium and the '01 isn't? Why not? The exterior and interior should use the same damn polygons and textures?

To me it feels like they just kept trying to add features which led to delays and ultimately sort of created a half baked game with a zillion features instead of a polished game with a few less features. I got a PS3 for GT5 but right now it isn't a must buy. I will pick it up eventually though. Will see what they do with the patches and where the price goes.

edit: had to edit because everywhere I abbreviated Prologue it put a

Last edited by HAZ-Matt; 12-02-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
I haven't got it yet.
100% on GT3 on PS2, I think I am at something like 94% on GT4 (since I got pissed off at Driving Mission 34 and stopped playing it... all of that was actually played on my PS3),
Is your PS3 one of the orignal backward compatible boxes?
If not how did you make that happen!?
Old 12-02-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

GT5 is pretty dissapointing.

I've loved the previous GT games...but this just doesn't cut it for me. I'll continue playing until something else comes out, but I'm certainly not hooked.

The graphics are very dissapointing. The premium cars look pretty good, but the standard cars and environment look bad; no other way to describe it. The GT5 demo and GT5 Prologue looked much better. I, of course, am talking about playing at full 1080P and I have the resolution maxed out in the game. The Nascar School facial animation of Jeff Gordon was unbearable.

The game has a LOT of screen tearing going on during races, especially around turns.

A-Spec racing is VERY short and I don't care about B-Spec.

Load times are quite long, even with the 8gig optional install.

Of course the sound of the cars is horrible, as it has always been with GT5 games.

Overall it's a fantastic simulator and the driving mechanics feel great, but that's about it.

I'd be more upset if I had paid full price for it, but I got it for 45 bucks from a newegg pre-order.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Hartje
Is your PS3 one of the orignal backward compatible boxes?
If not how did you make that happen!?
Yeah it is a 60GB with hardware PS2 emulation.

I thought that GT4 actually worked on some versions of the 80GB with software emulation though...

Honestly the bigger challenge was getting GT2 to run on my PC way back in the day
Old 12-02-2010, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
A-Spec racing is VERY short and I don't care about B-Spec.
Just how short? And are you just talking about main race series or all the random races. For example, say in GT3, you had the beginner league through pro league with all the race events, but then there were all the manufacture races and then all the dumbass time trials (the last one in particular took me forever to get to make 100% in that game)... All in all though it took a long time to make 100%, GT4 is a little longer I think, considering the driving missions and special condition races... Since I don't have it I don't know. All I am mostly going by are the reviews, some of which I thought suggested that a lot of the races are locked out until you level up, but then there were things mentioning that you could complete A-spec by like level 20 XP, which is half of what you need to unlock actual damage at level 40.

As far as B-Spec, the only thing it was useful for in GT4 was for beating the idiotically long endurance races. I had no interest in running a real 12 or 24hr race. I thought it was semi-excessive in GT2 when they introduced endurance racing, but they had a limit of 99 laps... which on those tracks usually was only like an hour and a half or so if my memory is correct.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just how short? And are you just talking about main race series or all the random races. For example, say in GT3, you had the beginner league through pro league with all the race events, but then there were all the manufacture races and then all the dumbass time trials (the last one in particular took me forever to get to make 100% in that game)... All in all though it took a long time to make 100%, GT4 is a little longer I think, considering the driving missions and special condition races... Since I don't have it I don't know. All I am mostly going by are the reviews, some of which I thought suggested that a lot of the races are locked out until you level up, but then there were things mentioning that you could complete A-spec by like level 20 XP, which is half of what you need to unlock actual damage at level 40.

As far as B-Spec, the only thing it was useful for in GT4 was for beating the idiotically long endurance races. I had no interest in running a real 12 or 24hr race. I thought it was semi-excessive in GT2 when they introduced endurance racing, but they had a limit of 99 laps... which on those tracks usually was only like an hour and a half or so if my memory is correct.
the main race series are pretty short on A-Spec....I have only 11 more series to do before they're done, then I will have to wait for the endurance races to become available, (which doesn't happen until like level 25 I think)

also....if anyone sees the damn Suzuki Escudo in the used lot , GET IT!! I will buy it from you or trade a car or two for it as well...tired of getting smoked by this damn car in my Bugatti.....

Last edited by GreatWhiteZ28; 12-02-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Ha the Escudo...

It was the only way I could beat all the Rally races in GT2 (specifically on Pike's Peak... maybe I was just bad)... I don't think I ever really drove it in GT3 or GT4 though
Old 12-02-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Junkie

add me:

berto8519
Old 12-02-2010, 09:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ha the Escudo...

It was the only way I could beat all the Rally races in GT2 (specifically on Pike's Peak... maybe I was just bad)... I don't think I ever really drove it in GT3 or GT4 though

I spy a white LT1 SS in the back ground, I just bought GT5, last Gt game I had was GT1 on a PS1, graphics are a tad better on this ps3 lol

Quick Reply: Gran Turismo 5 Thread