Nitto Vs Bfg / Drag Radials

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How come no one ever mentions the Toyo Proxes TQ DR's? They are awesome in the rain, last 9-10k miles, hook better than the 555's, and are pretty cheap.

Best DR's for every day use in my opinion.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cause the nt05r r St better. Alot of articles comparing them to be as good or better then the MT.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

comparison of width....

my original thread form back then.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-mem...omparison.html
Old 12-15-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by red281gt
Cause the nt05r r St better. Alot of articles comparing them to be as good or better then the MT.
Yes, I am sure the NT05r's would hook quite a bit better, but everything I have read is that they don't last all that long (6 or 7k), and they aren't spectacular in the rain. In fact, I believe hearing one good thing about how they did in the rain, and I believe it was a post from you after they first came out (I don't know though, I don't have the best memory).

If the car was just a toy, with mixed street and track use, then the NT05r's would probably be a great choice, but I wouldn't run those, or MT's on my car since it's a DD.

I don't have any experience with the new Nitto's, but based off of everything I have read they probably wouldn't be the best option for the OP. You probably know the tires a lot better than I do, since you are actually running them.

In my opinion, the Toyo's do everything the 555r's do, only better. Plus, they actually are a true 315, maybe even a little bigger.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Post a link to somewhere they said not good in the rain...I have more then 8k miles on mine daylie and
track burnout and still have plenty of thread. Yes I was the one who said they r good in the rain cause people kept asking me. I daylie my car everywhere and drives fine to me rain or shine.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

what are you guys running for tires up front?

i read a good report on using NT555RII's up front and NT555R's out back.
the RII has a stiffer side wall and slightly less grip due to that.

but will give a better feel corning and at speed on the free way.
with the 555R's you obviously sacrafice a little hooking ability because the sidewalls arent as soft as a "true" drag radial.

i just know it was... different... driving with my MT's on the street. not much fun unless you were going in a straight line.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by red281gt
Post a link to somewhere they said not good in the rain...I have more then 8k miles on mine daylie and
track burnout and still have plenty of thread. Yes I was the one who said they r good in the rain cause people kept asking me. I daylie my car everywhere and drives fine to me rain or shine.
I remember someone coming in and saying that they weren't good in the rain, in your thread. Pretty much all of the reviews on those tires that I read (on forums and such) have not had a whole lot positive to say about those tires in the rain.

If you honestly have 8k miles on yours, and still have a lot of tread, I may have to look into them. My Toyo's are about done, and I need new tires.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dudeiwin86
what are you guys running for tires up front?
I run the KDW 2's. They are awesome tires. Great in the rain, good tread wear, and good handling.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Juicy J
Yes, I am sure the NT05r's would hook quite a bit better, but everything I have read is that they don't last all that long (6 or 7k), and they aren't spectacular in the rain. In fact, I believe hearing one good thing about how they did in the rain, and I believe it was a post from you after they first came out (I don't know though, I don't have the best memory).

If the car was just a toy, with mixed street and track use, then the NT05r's would probably be a great choice, but I wouldn't run those, or MT's on my car since it's a DD.

I don't have any experience with the new Nitto's, but based off of everything I have read they probably wouldn't be the best option for the OP. You probably know the tires a lot better than I do, since you are actually running them.

In my opinion, the Toyo's do everything the 555r's do, only better. Plus, they actually are a true 315, maybe even a little bigger.

Thats why I was skeptical about the Nitto's cause i heard they were a Narrower tire to run. The Toyo's look pretty sweet too
Old 12-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Teching In

I dont see toyo's on Discounttire.com anyone know a website that sells toyo's ? just to compare
Old 12-15-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Murillo02SS
I dont see toyo's on Discounttire.com anyone know a website that sells toyo's ? just to compare
Discount doesn't sell them. Not supposed to post non sponsor links, so just type in "Toyo Proxes TQ Drag Radials" into Google, and it should be the very first link that pops up.

They are relatively cheap if price is your concern...
Old 12-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

I would not want to drive any car with drag radials in the rain period!! You're just asking for trouble! Get you some good street tires then get a set of cheap 16in wheels with an et street on them!
Old 12-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Good thread.. I have same questions as I run 19/20" iForged wheels on my Vette and it wont hook until 3rd.. That was with 657 rwhp, with my new build going to be north of 800 I wish I could find a solid 20" tire that might give me some traction w/o having to run a different set of rear wheels with a full blown drag radial on them.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ws6killer
I would not want to drive any car with drag radials in the rain period!! You're just asking for trouble! Get you some good street tires then get a set of cheap 16in wheels with an et street on them!
I disagree.

There are a few different drag radials that one could feel very confident with in the rain, given that they have enough tread. The fact that they wear out so quickly is what would make them unsafe. If someone is willing to dish out the cash every 7k miles for rain friendly drag radials, then I don't see what the problem is. In fact, I think they are much more safe in the rain then the cheap Sumitumo street tires that a lot of people run.

If you want to run drag radials every day, then you have to be willing to man up, and pay for tires more often in order to keep your car safe.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AZZKIKR
Good thread.. I have same questions as I run 19/20" iForged wheels on my Vette and it wont hook until 3rd.. That was with 657 rwhp, with my new build going to be north of 800 I wish I could find a solid 20" tire that might give me some traction w/o having to run a different set of rear wheels with a full blown drag radial on them.
Honestly, I don't think you would get much traction on BFG's, Toyo's, or 555r's on the street. I wouldn't think these types of tires wouldn't be as effective once you start getting past 500hp. 800+ rwhp would probably roast them.

I am not running around with 800hp, so take that with a grain of salt.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was on svtp and the kb and whipple cobras on there loved them. I seriously have not heared anything wrong with the nt05r , so if u search a thread to back up what ur saying that they bad in the rain post it so people can see. I am a person that actually has these tires on my car the 315/35/17 and love them like I said. I even got my friend with his 427 lsx camaro on them now. But he is running a 275/40/17 !!! and still hooks like a ****! There is plenty of other friends who r now looking into getting these tires but they r usually on back order .
Old 12-15-2010, 08:44 PM
Banned

Get MT, I've owned all 3 and the MT is the best all around. This is my old car (bolt on car at the time) leaving on a 245 MT on the STREET.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_BIe...eature=related
Old 12-15-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Red281 - I am posting from my phone and cant quote, but I went back and looked at a thread you made about how they hook in rain, and svtbait replied back and said that his car was all over the road. I thought he was refering to being all over the road when it was wet, but I may have misunderstood. As far as the svtp guys loving them, you are right, and they act like they do ok in the rain. As I said, you probably know more about them since you own them. I may try these if they hook as good as mt's and are safe in the rain. The toyos definitely don't hook like mt's.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah I went back and search for it THIS IS HOW THE CONVO WENT ON THAT THREAD

ls2 bait-
nitto 555's are nowhere near the same traction wise as a m/t. the nt05r is close but still not as sticky as the m/t. i cant comment on treadwear yet on the nt05r but i get about 6-7k on m/t's.

LSWNDR -
Hell yeah nitto's don't even come close to touching traction consistantly like a mickey thompson dude... Had them on both camaro's an they hooked so hard it was scary.... On eibach draglaunch springs 2001 z28 M6 i could get second for a few days cuz it hooked so hard!!! It took some practice and the tread wear isn't bad either as long as your not trying to do burnouts everywhere like most young kids an you don't drive like a jackass in the rain cuz mickey thompson will win everytime hands down..

AND THEN LS2BAIT REPLY WITH THIS ....
they suck in the rain fyi. and they are incredibly soft so i wouldnt expect more then 5-6k miles on them.

THEN LATER ON THIS GUY POSTED THIS
Originally Posted by ybaslo1
When I first got mt M/T's 255/50/16, I drove back from Detroit to Chicago at about 75MPH in the rain the whole way back with no issues. I dead hook 1.55-1.56's all day long with small/med burn-outs. Now, when they were worn down to about 1-2/32nd's, I got cought in the rain and would hydroplane going anything over 10mph. I'm sure if you had a bald nitto, it would do the same (there is just no where for the water to go).

All in all, until I see some 9-10 sec passes with these new Nitto's, I'll stick to the M/T's.

THEN LS2BAIT POSTED THIS
ive gone 11.0 on them running out of gear......but i also went 11.1 on the mt's
THIS IS THE THREAD
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...-radial-2.html

SORRY I AM BORED LOL
this is his article on super chevy , cause of him on that mag im a subscriber now lmfao
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...est/index.html

BUT!!!!!
then I went back to my thread and look at it and seen what u said about ls2bait said... we need to get his damn input on this lmfao
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...work-rain.html
HERE IS ANOTHER THREAD WHERE PEOPLE SAY THEY WORK GREAT IN THE RAIN AND LOVE THEM!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...-any-good.html

I found this picture ls2 bait posted

ON THE LEFT-NT05R , MIDDLE-MT, RIGHT-555R
BUT YEA I ALSO SEEN ON THAT THREAD HE SAID THEY DONT WORK IN THE RAIN FOR HIM, HMM I WONDER Y. EVERYONE I SEEN ON THE BOARDS SAY THEY WORK

Last edited by red281gt; 12-16-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:22 AM
Teching In

i didnt read any of the thread. but i remembered i had this comparison of the 555R and NT05R when i switched. both are 315s

Quick Reply: Nitto Vs Bfg / Drag Radials