I knew it! Mustang Answers...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
2002 F-Body running complete N/A (using a built motor still 5.7L) will make the the same power as the 2002 4.6L Modular with a F/I System.
You are exactly right. Cut the ls1 cubic inches down to 281 and see what kind of power it makes in N/A form. Horsepower is always easier to make when you have cubic inches to work with. Add 70 cubic inches to even a 2V with properly sized heads and camshafts if you want to evenly compare apples to apples.

As I have said above, us Ford boys would have to learn to do more with less since thats what Ford gave us to work with. I have nothing against Gm's and in fact was very disappointed to see the Camaro/Ta die off in 2002.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by thesource
I'm just a nut swinger........ You guys are hilarous though.
You're a sad, sad person aren't you? Let go of the hate child.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WOW!!! i knew it.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:04 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Funny thing is, since the late 80's those girly cars have been whipping some GM ***. Until the Ls based engine came around in 98, the F Body didn't have a chance on the streets. The LS ruled the streets for a while but now with the 5.0 DOHC engine, its game on again and Ford is back in control. Ford has always managed to do more with less cubic inches. Personally I always wanted Ford to step up and offer a bigger engine than the basic 5.0 and later 4.6 but I guess with all the girls buying the cars up like hot cakes, why fix what wasn't broken?

89 TTA

89-92 Formula Firebird

Grand National

Corvette

Cyclone

Assuming those are just some reasons you said "some" GM *** and not all right?
Old 12-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Launching!

IMO, the LT1 was the 2nd worst V8 to ever come in a Gm made vehicle only behind the 305.
You've never seen a 267 from about 1980, huh? What was so wrong with the LT1? Yeah, the obvious Opti, but other than that, it was a Gen I with good heads. Not even close to anything from the smog era.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
89 TTA

89-92 Formula Firebird

Grand National

Corvette

Cyclone

Assuming those are just some reasons you said "some" GM *** and not all right?
The turbo 3.8L stuff was cool and I use to enjoy the Buick vs. Mustang shoot outs but the C4 Vette was far from being fast. A factory 5.0 Mustang with 5 speed would spank its ***. I remember guys running mid 11's back in the early 90's with a very, very limited amount of bolts on available for the 5.0 back then. I don't recall any 3rd gens being that fast in the same era of time. You guys can joke about Mustangs all you want. I get it, its a GM based tech board. Just remember the next time you get beat by a Mustang, a girls car just drug your ***.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Earl Filter
You've never seen a 267 from about 1980, huh? What was so wrong with the LT1? Yeah, the obvious Opti, but other than that, it was a Gen I with good heads. Not even close to anything from the smog era.
Don't recall the 267 but just about anything under 300 cubic inches is weak for a V8. Why Ford chose 281 for the modular engine is beyond me. I always thought that was a step in the wrong direction.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

The turbo 3.8L stuff was cool and I use to enjoy the Buick vs. Mustang shoot outs but the C4 Vette was far from being fast. A factory 5.0 Mustang with 5 speed would spank its ***. I remember guys running mid 11's back in the early 90's with a very, very limited amount of bolts on available for the 5.0 back then. I don't recall any 3rd gens being that fast in the same era of time. You guys can joke about Mustangs all you want. I get it, its a GM based tech board. Just remember the next time you get beat by a Mustang, a girls car just drug your ***.

Why dont you go join a mustang forum? In case you missed the title on this site it said LS1... you dont belong here.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
i complete agree with this. i love the looks, but when you coupe weighs that much something it really wrong.

i will give you that...the old 4.6 was complete ****, and they did get better towards the end of the run. but they still were horrid small blocks.

i do, however, disagree that the only reason people put SBC is other applications is that they dont know how to make horsepower. i think the reason is that it is A LOT easier to make the power on a SBC. after all, there is no replacement for displacement. 2002 F-Body running complete N/A (using a built motor still 5.7L) will make the the same power as the 2002 4.6L Modular with a F/I System.
except technology.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FordHater
Why dont you go join a mustang forum? In case you missed the title on this site it said LS1... you dont belong here.
now you sound just like "one of those mustang guys". they say the same thing to fbody people that come to mustang forums. you dont wanna be just like a mustang guy do you?
Old 12-19-2010, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ja1son
now you sound just like "one of those mustang guys". they say the same thing to fbody people that come to mustang forums. you dont wanna be just like a mustang guy do you?
haha I know man relax. I just dont understand why someone joins a forum and then starts dissing what the forum is about.. do people have nothing better to do with their time than too cause ****?
Old 12-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Banned

I'm a member on several Mustang sites and its no secret I prefer Ford's but I also like to offer tech help regarding things I know a lot about and in this case its T56 transmissions which come in many Gm models. I just noticed the thread name and figured I'd join in on the fun. Is that ok with you? I really didn't know I had to ask for your blessings before posting my opinion on the topic, noobie.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

I'm a member on several Mustang sites and its no secret I prefer Ford's but I also like to offer tech help regarding things I know a lot about and in this case its T56 transmissions which come in many Gm models. I just noticed the thread name and figured I'd join in on the fun. Is that ok with you? I really didn't know I had to ask for your blessings before posting my opinion on the topic, noobie.
Yea you do seem like a tranny techy.., you're probably a tranny yourself.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:24 PM
Banned

Yea you do seem like a tranny techy.., you're probably a tranny yourself.
Aren't you a clever little canuck? What are you doing in the Texas section? Don't you have something better to do than cause ****?
Old 12-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Don't recall the 267 but just about anything under 300 cubic inches is weak for a V8. Why Ford chose 281 for the modular engine is beyond me. I always thought that was a step in the wrong direction.
I wasn't picking a fight, but I did want to note there was something worse than a 305!

But I did want an honest answer on what was wrong with the LT1, especially considering the timeframe. I think it was a natural progression from the old SBC, and I've owned a metric ****-ton of LT1 Caprices, 1 '96 Impala SS, and an LT1-powered Jaguar. I never had any more problems than any earlier SBC or similar model-year Vortec 350s.

I should have added I've also owned 2 5-liter Mustangs, a few other Fords, and various other levels of automotive stuff from nice to crap! I was comparing the LT1 to all of my automotive experience as a whole over the last 22 years or so.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Banned

I wasn't picking a fight, but I did want to note there was something worse than a 305!

But I did want an honest answer on what was wrong with the LT1, especially considering the timeframe. I think it was a natural progression from the old SBC, and I've owned a metric ****-ton of LT1 Caprices, 1 '96 Impala SS, and an LT1-powered Jaguar. I never had any more problems than any earlier SBC or similar model-year Vortec 350s.
The Opti-spark was reason enough to hate it. I was involved with several LT1 builds back in the 90's and none of them really seemed to make the power they should have. I remember doing one with all the bullshit from TPIS on top of a 383 short block and the car it was in couldn't get out of the 12's on sticky tires and some gear. Poor guy spent a **** load on it too. We contacted the guys over at TPIS and they went over everything with a fine tooth comb and couldn't give us a reason why it ran like it did. After that, the car was sold and the guy bought a C5 Vette.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Banned

I also had a customer back in 1999 with a super clean *** 1992 Camaro Anniversary car. We pulled the 305 out and reinstalled a 350 with a TPIS mini ram, TPIS roller cam, after market heads(don't remember the brand) and retained the 5 speed in the car. The car ran good and looked like brand new inside and out but would get smoked on a regular basis by local 5.0's on the street. The car never seen the track but I bet it would have barely broke into the 12's.

It looked exactly like this one: http://www.chevy-camaro.com/images/t...Annivesary.jpg
Old 12-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Launching!

Well, maybe that dud gave you a bad taste. It took a few years to get the LT1 stuff down, but later a lot of guys had 4200lb B-bodys running that fast and faster without a whole lot of trouble. Kinda like looking at the cams and mods for the LS1 in the late '90s. Just took a bit to figure out how to make it go. The 5.0s already had a good 5+ years on the LT1 when it hit the road.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Banned

Well, maybe that dud gave you a bad taste. It took a few years to get the LT1 stuff down, but later a lot of guys had 4200lb B-bodys running that fast and faster without a whole lot of trouble. Kinda like looking at the cams and mods for the LS1 in the late '90s. Just took a bit to figure out how to make it go. The 5.0s already had a good 5+ years on the LT1 when it hit the road.
Most of the Lt1 stuff I was involved with was from about 96-00. Once the Ls1 hit the market, a lot of GM guys I knew ditched their Lt based powered cars and got 98-up Fbodys. One of my employees had a brand new Camaro SS and we did a lot of test and tune stuff on it when it was still getting broken in. I was impressed that the car put down right at 320 rwhp bone *** stock on a local DynoJet dyno. IMO, that engine put GM back into the game and GM made the wise decision to build on it. Ford has now made the decision to go 4V on its engine platform and its going to be hard to beat in the future. I haven't messed with any yet but I have heard some pretty ridiculous numbers coming from the new 5.0 4V's and they've barely hit the market.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

The Opti-spark was reason enough to hate it.
...Ford has now made the decision to go 4V on its engine platform and its going to be hard to beat in the future. I haven't messed with any yet but I have heard some pretty ridiculous numbers coming from the new 5.0 4V's and they've barely hit the market.
While I may not agree with some of what you say, I definitely agree with you on these two points. I don't entirely discredit the LT1 simply because of the stupid Opti design, though I do think that it was probably one of the dumbest designs (especially putting the freakin weep hole in the waterpump direct OVER it), and I think that it will hold that generation of small block back until some aftermarket company comes up with a way to get rid of it completely. Even the kits that "convert" it to a coil pack design still utilize the optical sensor in the opti spark. Weaksauce. As for the new 5.0, I love what Ford has done! Ford has stepped their game up and I'm waiting on seeing what GM will do in response! A more powerful Mustang means that GM will need to put up or shut up with a more powerful Camaro, so for us enthusiasts it's a win-win.