'02 SS not starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSam
push start it....if it turns on...it's the starter....
^^^^Lmao..... Or you could push start it to test the starter non function. Barbaric but it works too! It's more of a test that VATS or ur ECU isn't an issue though, not really a test of faulty starter circuit or components.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

I died.

I'm posting this from heaven. God said "LSX's FTMFW"

I didn't get a chance to check anything, I might have time tonight.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:28 AM
12 Second Club

please let me know my old camaro is doing the samething the guy who owns it now has not really messed with it but we would love to start it soon lol
Old 01-14-2011, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Ok so I double checked relays by swapping them like suggested. Still wont turn over.

I will record what it is doing in a moment and post it.

I managed to jack the car up as I will pull the starter soon.

I saw 1 bolt holding the starter in place. It it truly just one bolt plus the starter relay wires or is there a bolt hidden somewhere?
Old 01-14-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

2 bolts

Jump the relay, you might end up buying a starter that you don't need.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mguncowboy
^^^^Lmao..... Or you could push start it to test the starter non function. Barbaric but it works too! It's more of a test that VATS or ur ECU isn't an issue though, not really a test of faulty starter circuit or components.
Whatever it takes....lol
Old 01-14-2011, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 5w20
2 bolts

Jump the relay, you might end up buying a starter that you don't need.
ok back from dinner...

Ill try this first.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like a bad starter. Replace that or If you have disconnected the battery, reconnect the battery and place the key in the Ignition. Do not start the car but turn the key forward into the start position (everything on the dash should light up) leave the key in that position for at least a 1 minute...do this several times. Maybe even with the clutch in if its a six speed. Then start it up. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

S. O. B. !!!!!!!

It started right up. I don't get it. I went to record myself starting the car. I inserted the key waited about 3 seconds, pushed-in the clutch and turned the key- the bitch started...

The only thing different, from the last time I tried starting it, is the passenger side-front is jacked up and ready for me to pull the starter,

Earlier today I swapped relays and tried to turn her over- I got the same result: nothing. so I swapped the relays back.

At this point, I almost wished it hadn't started. Now I have to worry every time I take her out I may still have the isssue.

Im gonna keep testing her by driving her up and down Fry Rd. Then parking her on the driveway and see if she will start up again.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1BlkStealth
Sounds like a bad starter. Replace that or If you have disconnected the battery, reconnect the battery and place the key in the Ignition. Do not start the car but turn the key forward into the start position (everything on the dash should light up) leave the key in that position for at least a 1 minute...do this several times. Maybe even with the clutch in if its a six speed. Then start it up. Hope this helps. Good luck.
I did have the battery disconnected (just the positive). Come to think of it, I had previously disconnected both terminals. before I went to dinner I only disconnected the + side.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Then follow the procedure. Then start it up.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Launching!

My 97 does this crap, sometimes it starts, sometimes it dosnt, pretty sure it's the vats system, I'm gone try to do the ignition bypass mod this weekend. It's the only possible thing I think it could be at this point. Some times when I'm driving the security light just comes on at random, WTF??
Old 01-21-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

Put your car in neutral and try holding the clutch switch manually while turning the key. If that doesn't work make sure it has power and ground.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gunter96ws6
My 97 does this crap, sometimes it starts, sometimes it dosnt, pretty sure it's the vats system, I'm gone try to do the ignition bypass mod this weekend. It's the only possible thing I think it could be at this point. Some times when I'm driving the security light just comes on at random, WTF??
Mine had the light flashing and was the VATS, I did resistor mod maybe two years ago, it was a whole lot simplier than pulling the steering wheel (with airbag) to replace the lock cylinder. I think I spent $2 at Radioshack. Somebody had a nice write up with pictures of which wires to cut, made it real simple.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

My dad had the same problem with his 01 Z06. He tapped LIGHTLY on the starter solenoid with a wood hammer handle and it started (my mom was cranking it for him while he was under the car. He eventually just got tired of doing that in a parking lot because it did this randomly.

Also, just last night my friend with a 00 Trans Am had this problem. I would've tried the same thing or the ignition - on, off, on, off - trick but it was, what felt like, in the teens last night.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Same thing happened to me a few years back with my 99 Z M6. Mine turned out to be the starter as the bolt was loose and actually the starter brackets were seperating from the block. But it would start at random times when I would crank it, but sometimes not at all. Good luck, but my guess would be the starter.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Back from the dead!!!

I found out what the issue was... after a spirited drive around the block a friend of mine and I found ourselves at a gas station with a car that wouldnt start. This was frustrating so that evening we got under the car and found the problem.

Some wires to the starter have been damaged due to the heat from the Headers. The heat has corroded the wire loom and wire insulation so much that simply touching them breaks the insulation and wire loom.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blackfly
I did have the battery disconnected (just the positive). Come to think of it, I had previously disconnected both terminals. before I went to dinner I only disconnected the + side.
I had a 2002 ss camaro that would randomly not start. You could pull the key in and out and keep trying it and eventually it would start. Alot of times you would have a problem with it at all. I finally got tired of it and pulled the starter and had it tested and they said it was good so I changed the ignition switch becasue I was told it was probly a problem with the Vats. In teh mean time I had just bolted teh starter back up and didn't have a problem with it for about a month ans then it did the same thing again. It ended up being the post on the starter was broken inside the starter and was barely makeing connection.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

So. This thread is BACK!!!!

I finally jacked the car up and started to pull the wire harness up from the engine bay so I can prep to repair wire issue failure. I had to remove the starter and disconnect everything on that run of the harness.

The wire I thought was the the issue, turned out to connect to the engine block... here...

and not the starter.

The wires to the starter look fine.

I took some pics of the wire that has essentially "melded" together and had copper showing through it's insulation.

What does this wire do?

If the starter was getting power, why would it not kick over and start the car? Jumpstarting worked.

Anyway, here is the section of the harness am looking for,(runs down the side of the passenger wheel well) if anyone has one laying around.

Specifically the engine block connector and the 2'-3' wire so I can splice in a new one.

Last edited by Blackfly; 04-28-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

^^^^^

So what is the wire that runs to the block?
What does it do?
Could it keep the car from starting?

Holy brain twister Batman