Trying to gauge value of semi-rare 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I decided when I got back into my Fbody I was going to DRIVE it and enjoy it. I dont care about the value, its not a garage queen. I enjoy working on it and she has a few scratches-it gives her character. I just hit 100,000 miles and she runs great.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

Some ppl just dont understand that these cars are falling like rocks value wise.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
I don't think that since its a pontiac and the first year of the final generation makes it rare. It does have low miles though.
Was your car parked off of San Antonio street for like three days straight last week?
Old 02-11-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Neil (Bizzatch) gave the best answer. 98 is the least desirable LS1 year, and the lowest value. Formulas are rare, but yours isn't any special edition. It isn't worth any more than a Camaro or a T/A of the same year. The WS6/Hawk/SS cars will always bring in a little more.

59K isn't low mileage. It is low for 98, but it isn't "low" mileage. Low mileage would be 10K or under miles, regardless of the year. 59K just means those '98 pushrods and valvesprings are that much closer to failing.

$8-9K tops.

Now quit being a cry baby and getting mad about your car not being worth as much as you dreamed about.
Thy Great One has spoken!

/thread.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

KBB says $7340.....
Old 02-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Delusions of grandeur.

I'll give you 4 grand for it.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yall crack me up
Old 02-11-2011, 11:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
Being a Formula it's a bit rare, being a six speed it's more desirable then an auto. What hurts it are that it's a 98 and not a special model, 98s tend to be the least desirable due to the PCM. At 59K miles it's some what low, but not that low. If some one with the cash wanted to drop it on a Formula, they would be looking for a WS6 or a Formula Firehawk car which yours is not, it's a regual Formula. There was a real 99 Formula WS6 with 44K miles, clean as hell, never wrecked, black which is a bit more desirable then yors and the asking price was $10.5, what it sold for, only the owner and buyer knows. So $7000-8500, seems about right. Your also failing to look at the key demographic who buys these cars, most people buy them to mod, so they could care less if Pontiac exists or not. The people who do care the miles and options make it a pass for a serious Pontiac collector, if it was a 2-3K mile 2000 Formula WS6 1LE optioned car, you may have a case but it's not. The boat to sell an F-body left 5 years ago, you might get a solid $8K-9K maybe if you waited for the right buyer. Stuff can be semi rare but some one still has to want it, the 93 in my sig I have had since '00, I am the second owner and it has 73K miles on it. It's only 1 of 20 Trans Ams sent to Hawaii for sale by GM in 93 if you break the rpo codes down. How ever there isn't some market for them so the car isn't worth any more then any other F-body if the same year. You can break down what ever production numbers you want, rare matters if it's worth being rare, Firehawks or WS6s, not regular Formulas.
Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Neil (Bizzatch) gave the best answer. 98 is the least desirable LS1 year, and the lowest value. Formulas are rare, but yours isn't any special edition. It isn't worth any more than a Camaro or a T/A of the same year. The WS6/Hawk/SS cars will always bring in a little more.

59K isn't low mileage. It is low for 98, but it isn't "low" mileage. Low mileage would be 10K or under miles, regardless of the year. 59K just means those '98 pushrods and valvesprings are that much closer to failing.

$8-9K tops.

Now quit being a cry baby and getting mad about your car not being worth as much as you dreamed about.
Originally Posted by LS1RedZ
Some ppl just dont understand that these cars are falling like rocks value wise.
these are the 3 best posts in this thread. what private parties and dealerships are asking for, for Formulas, TA's, Ws6's, Firehawks, etc., is plain crazy!!!

justify to me how a 2002 TA Ws6 with 75,000miles is still worth $20,000!? i realize an asking price is just that, and sale price might not be the asking price, but seriously, prices on these cars is out of hand. they are not that rare. everyone acts like they are selling the last f-body in the world...but they're not!!!

people need to KBB their ****, do some research, and be realistic. hell, even i have had to come back to reality with pricing previous cars i have had to sale.

point in case about the insane asking prices of these cars. this car in its present condition is $2000-2500 max...need i say more?!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb
Old 02-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Launching!

If the car was at a dealer...maybe at 15k-20k. Private seller....mmmm, 7.5k if your lucky.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSwt00SS
point in case about the insane asking prices of these cars. this car in its present condition is $2000-2500 max...need i say more?!
Read closer next time:

"6 Speed manual with a Corvette engine, peels rubber in all six gears, must see, must sale.$11,000 obo,626-444-4448."

Corvette engine! But, I'd be a bit concerned about it "peeling" rubber in 6th gear.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

But THAT 93 is a Green/Beige combo....
The rarest of all!
Under 170K miles!
And it has the special California sun-fading effect evenly applied ALL over the car!

A priceless (zero value is also priceless) object only destined to go up in value!
Old 02-12-2011, 03:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSwt00SS
these are the 3 best posts in this thread. what private parties and dealerships are asking for, for Formulas, TA's, Ws6's, Firehawks, etc., is plain crazy!!!

justify to me how a 2002 TA Ws6 with 75,000miles is still worth $20,000!? i realize an asking price is just that, and sale price might not be the asking price, but seriously, prices on these cars is out of hand. they are not that rare. everyone acts like they are selling the last f-body in the world...but they're not!!!

people need to KBB their ****, do some research, and be realistic. hell, even i have had to come back to reality with pricing previous cars i have had to sale.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb
hahahaha I just bought 94 TA parts car for $500 that looked just like that!! its bumpers are on my 97 fomula now a trans am clone that i bought for 5500 about 6months from a small dealer. But I sold my 98 trans am 180k miles for 5500 about a year ago. yours will get 7k tops
Old 02-12-2011, 03:58 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Guess some never think to use LC or Ebay to see what similar rides go doe, not that it helps because some ask ridiculous prices for some cars, but an average ball park.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:58 AM
Launching!

yo guys i need a quick appraisal...

got this HOT *** 94 Toyota Tercel on my driveway, gonna try and move it.
now being that it was a 94 this is the last year my buddy Greg worked at the toyota plant. dude was the baddest there, set the record for most 10mm bolts put in a subframe in less than an hr. and this was AFTER he did like 10 lines on the watercooler at lunch. so his performance was slightly decreased for the contest. but not on this car! 6mo sober!
the car is a SE model, probably only about 60,000 of those were made, so its the more 'rare' option.
i have noticed theres a bit of black sharpie near the intake manifold. i believe this to be the autograph of chuck yeagar. this should increase the value substantially. upon removal of the intake there is a slight amount of white oxidation. i also believe this to be the semen remains of Mr. Yeagar. Pretty much youre getting 2 deals in 1 now. since the intake was kept ultra cold by the efficient 4cyl engine, i believe the semen to be ecapsulated in a frozen tundra of darkness. what this means for you is that you can use this for in vitro fertilization. you'll make your coworkers feel like **** when you can say that your wife has been impregnated by one of the greatest fighter pilots of all time.
I'm really hoping on being able to get around 28,500$ for this car, and if you dont think thats right. then **** you!
Old 02-12-2011, 05:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XtremeBBQ
yo guys i need a quick appraisal...

got this HOT *** 94 Toyota Tercel on my driveway, gonna try and move it.
now being that it was a 94 this is the last year my buddy Greg worked at the toyota plant. dude was the baddest there, set the record for most 10mm bolts put in a subframe in less than an hr. and this was AFTER he did like 10 lines on the watercooler at lunch. so his performance was slightly decreased for the contest. but not on this car! 6mo sober!
the car is a SE model, probably only about 60,000 of those were made, so its the more 'rare' option.
i have noticed theres a bit of black sharpie near the intake manifold. i believe this to be the autograph of chuck yeagar. this should increase the value substantially. upon removal of the intake there is a slight amount of white oxidation. i also believe this to be the semen remains of Mr. Yeagar. Pretty much youre getting 2 deals in 1 now. since the intake was kept ultra cold by the efficient 4cyl engine, i believe the semen to be ecapsulated in a frozen tundra of darkness. what this means for you is that you can use this for in vitro fertilization. you'll make your coworkers feel like **** when you can say that your wife has been impregnated by one of the greatest fighter pilots of all time.
I'm really hoping on being able to get around 28,500$ for this car, and if you dont think thats right. then **** you!
BBQ, i will take that Tercel off your hands...the best i can do $27,500...but i want to very rare Tercel. But I may be able to bump the offer up to 28 even if the the ultra rare VTAK Tercel...
Old 02-12-2011, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you're going to get anything over $7kish for that car you're going to be waiting a very long time for either 1. Someone who has very particular interests or 2. An idiot with more money than sense that wants a "fast" car.

No one cares about 4th gen fbody build numbers. Even the SSLE cars are selling for peanuts, and those were the cash cow come sale time not that long ago.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BigBronco
Was your car parked off of San Antonio street for like three days straight last week?
No man, not me. I'm living in San Antonio now.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:02 PM
LS7 Member

Offer: 4k

lmk
Old 02-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by UTEvo8
Offer: 4k

lmk
4100 in hundreds, seriously