Title not changed, can I legally REPO it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Title not changed, can I legally REPO it?

What are my options, situation is I sold a car to a friend that was having hard financial problems for $ 300 , I gave him the title without a sale date, to give him some time took get back on his feet. Its been seven months and I got a toll ticket in the mail. Now he wont answers phone calls. I want to go take all four tires off untill he transfer the title, but wold that be considered as theft?

Any good advice guys
Old 03-01-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a paper you can get at the tax office that transfers it out of your name and into his without him doing it.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:10 AM
10 Second Club

Well all he has to do is put a date on the bill of sale as yesterday and your fucked.

But if you put a date on it like 3/7/2010 the cars still in your name and belongs to you.

But you should go to the DMV and fill out the paper work that the car is sold and has been for however long.

Because as of right now you owe the toll fees because the cars in your name.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I repo'ed a car years ago b/c the guy didn't pay me. I just walked up to him and asked for the keys. He gave them to me and a bunch of tools also.

I say if the car is still in your name, then it is still legally yours. You should be able to go get it, no questions asked.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what kind of car is it? repo it and I'll buy it from you if it's in good shape running wise........

Last edited by YellowTA1; 03-01-2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 03-01-2011, 10:40 AM
9 Second Club

if you look on the little tear off tab on any texas title (where your mailing address is) on the back of it there is a phone number you can call. this will take any responsibilities off of you after you sell a vehicle, like that toll road ticket.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:47 AM
9 Sec. Club!!!

Fill out the paper work, you can do it online. Then call the toll place, but wait for a few days after you filled out everything and they will send the bills to him. A guy on here I sold my old truck to did the same thing to me. He had about 20 bucks in charges and he wouldn't transfer title so I did it and called Txdot and had all the charges sent to him.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by quickchrome2000
What are my options, situation is I sold a car to a friend that was having hard financial problems for $ 300 , I gave him the title without a sale date, to give him some time took get back on his feet. Its been seven months and I got a toll ticket in the mail. Now he wont answers phone calls. I want to go take all four tires off untill he transfer the title, but wold that be considered as theft?

Any good advice guys
I had the same happen to me a few months back. A college kid bought my GTP and never transferred. I was getting parking tickets every day! I called the college where some where, and the city where the rest were and explained the situation. They just wanted the signed Bill of Sale faxed and his contact info (name, address, phone, etc whatever I could give them), and they dismissed them from my record and I guess went after him to collect on their own.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dan03mach
Fill out the paper work, you can do it online. Then call the toll place, but wait for a few days after you filled out everything and they will send the bills to him. A guy on here I sold my old truck to did the same thing to me. He had about 20 bucks in charges and he wouldn't transfer title so I did it and called Txdot and had all the charges sent to him.

question is why in the world do people put themselves in these situations?

here you can bang my wife, just don't get her pregnant.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The d-bag that bought my Z06 ran up an 800 dollar toll bill and never transfered the title. I went to the courthouse and filled out the paper work, hopefully he had to pay taxes on the full amount I sold him the car for on top of the toll bills.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Its a 96 ford taurus, 350, 000 miles and still running lol. Im gonna call that number and get this car off my name. Lesson learned dont help broke *** friends but if you do do it cautiously
Old 03-01-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have a car like that. Ex got toll tickets, red-light tickets etc in it. They sent them to me but I have put then off and put them off and there prob worth a good grand now. I guess if they ever come up I will show them the required paper work I have lol. Till then I am gonna let them collect interest Serves that bitch right lol
Old 03-01-2011, 01:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1INSANEGTO
Have a car like that. Ex got toll tickets, red-light tickets etc in it. They sent them to me but I have put then off and put them off and there prob worth a good grand now. I guess if they ever come up I will show them the required paper work I have lol. Till then I am gonna let them collect interest Serves that bitch right lol
lol.... HELL YEAH!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

call the toll road authority on your own and get that car off of your account.

i had a little mishap with the corvette i just bought.

i transferred the title within 1 week of purchase, and then i just removed my old ez-tag and put it in the new car. well apparantly i damaged it because the previous owner was still getting bills for toll violations that were my fault.

the HC toll road authority didnt even check on the vehicles registration, its just that the plates were registered to the previous owner in THEIR SYSTEM, so they sent him the bill.

so even after you get the title issue sorted out, you need to be sure to contact the HCTRA and let them know as well or they wont check