TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

darton sleeved 427 cid ls1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0oqJ...&feature=inbox
Old 04-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
but IF it was a darton sleeved ls1 you'd probably have 4 g's in just the rotating assembly... who spends that amount of money and uses those junk *** 98 heads??? i'm almost willing to bet money that car doesn't have a 408, not to mention a 408 plus a 10 bolt with 22inch wheels(i think) equals broke rear end unless it makes no power...
Old 04-29-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by strokerblackhawk
but IF it was a darton sleeved ls1 you'd probably have 4 g's in just the rotating assembly... who spends that amount of money and uses those junk *** 98 heads??? i'm almost willing to bet money that car doesn't have a 408, not to mention a 408 plus a 10 bolt with 22inch wheels(i think) equals broke rear end unless it makes no power...
oh i agree totally. but they were arguing wether it was doable or not. and it is, there are ways around the "wall thickness" issue. it just costs hella $$$$.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 5w20
listen here, you missed the most obvious. He is sittin' on dem thangs!!!!
heard that!!!!
Old 04-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Like stated before you can "pump" an engine to see what the CID is. If you can't tell if its a alum or steel block (incase its an alum block painted) stick a magnet to it. I would say if its a LS1 block and he is claiming 408 then its gonna be a headache. might run good now but not going to last.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

My biggest "NO's" are the rims, 806 castings, and 98 harness/pcm...
Old 04-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

BTW, if you want to look at the heads take the intake off... its nothing but 8 bolts and a fuel line. and undoing the lid. IF you really wanted to get into it you could use a bore-scope to look at the cylinder walls and then do a leak down to see how "ragged out" the engine is.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 5w20
My biggest "NO's" are the rims, 806 castings, and 98 harness/pcm...
I am with you on this. the 98 PCM was slow to react to changes and I have seen a lot of people pull their hair out trying to figure out why things where happening
Old 04-29-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

@5w20. I'm not gung-ho about iron blocks, if the ls1 was iron I'd have the same concerns with the fact that basically there is hardly any cylinder walls when a 346 block is used. Another member and I had this discussion about a 427 stroker ls1... At least use an ls2 block if for nothing else but reliability...
Old 04-29-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by baalic
@5w20. I'm not gung-ho about iron blocks, if the ls1 was iron I'd have the same concerns with the fact that basically there is hardly any cylinder walls when a 346 block is used. Another member and I had this discussion about a 427 stroker ls1... At least use an ls2 block if for nothing else but reliability...
does not matter when it is sleeved, OEM sleeves are not used anymore on certain sleeved blocks. Mute point. Did you not click the link? Either this might be easier; I quoted it below.

The ERL SUPERDECK I system takes an ordinary GM LS block and creates a rock solid platform for forced induction and nitrous engines. The truss design of the ERL SUPERDECK I adds unmatched strength and stability to the bock and deck surface. The truss design (shown in the pictures above) involves connecting each pair of head bolts through an aluminum truss. This truss allows the load to be shared across the deck surface minimizing deck deflection. This allows a thinner deck section to outperform the much thicker decks. The SUPERDECK I system also allows for larger bores than dry sleeves. The ERL SUPERDECK I is available as a 443CI engine with a 4.200” bore and 4.000” stroke. The sleeve has a 25% greater wall thickness at a 4.200” bore than the others have with a 4.125” bore. ERL has incorporated the superior stability of the deck with optional ½” head studs to provide uniform clamping over the entire gasket surface. A clamping force of nearly 80,000 pounds is provided by the 1/2” studs to reduce the potential of lifting the head. Traditional aftermarket Race Blocks increase deck thickness and reduce water access to the deck to aid in head gasket retention. The SUPERDECK I does not restrict water access to the deck surface. In fact the SUPERDECK I extends the water cavity floor and emphasizes upper cylinder cooling through the trusses which are short-poured. This lowers the potential for detonation caused by hot spot in the combustion chamber. An additional advantage of the truss system is that it ties the main saddles in the block to the deck. This greatly increases the strength of the main saddles by changing the load path.
The ERL SUPERDECK I 6 bolt takes our SUPERDECK I 4 bolt system to the next level for extreme applications. The addition of two head bolt bosses per cylinder creates a block that is specifically designed to handle extremely high boost or nitrous. Our SUPERDECK I 6 bolt blocks have run successfully with over 30psi of boost and over 1500HP. The truss design of the ERL SUPERDECK I adds unmatched strength and stability to the bock and deck surface. The truss design (shown in the pictures above) involves connecting each pair of head bolts through an aluminum truss. This truss allows the load to be shared across the deck surface minimizing deck deflection. This allows a thinner deck section to outperform the much thicker decks. The SUPERDECK I system also allows for larger bores than dry sleeves. The ERL SUPERDECK I is available as a 443CI engine with a 4.200” bore and 4.000” stroke. The sleeve has a 25% greater wall thickness at a 4.200” bore than the others have with a 4.125” bore. ERL has incorporated the superior stability of the deck with optional ½” head studs to provide uniform clamping over the entire gasket surface. A clamping force of nearly 80,000 pounds is provided by the 1/2” studs to reduce the potential of lifting the head. Traditional aftermarket Race Blocks increase deck thickness and reduce water access to the deck to aid in head gasket retention. The SUPERDECK I does not restrict water access to the deck surface. In fact the SUPERDECK I extends the water cavity floor and emphasizes upper cylinder cooling through the trusses which are short-poured. This lowers the potential for detonation caused by hot spot in the combustion chamber. An additional advantage of the truss system is that it ties the main saddles in the block to the deck. This greatly increases the strength of the main saddles by changing the load path.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:12 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

pass

there will be more and better deals.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Does anyone in the Pasadena/deer park area feel like looking at the car today?

I'm at work all day (oreillys in laporte) and the car is here.

Call / txt me?
832-630-3446

It is a aluminum block. Did the magnet test
Old 05-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Launching!

ive heard if you want an ls1 to live you really shouldn't stroke it more than 383 after that without the darton sleeves its kind of a ticking time bomb thats why everyone uses the newer thicker blocks plus the ls1 block usually wont handle more than 800 flywheel hp, my 383 made 502 at the wheels on a hot humid day, and the shop that built my car straight up told me when i was talking to them about putting nitrous on the car do not spray over 200 if you want the engine to live
Old 05-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Getting it tuned this weekend.

Not a 408, aluminum block. Doubt its stroked. Ill post numbers when i get it tuned
Old 05-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Launching!

did the guy come down on the price when you hit him with the facts? hopefully you can save it from its currently donked out condition!!!!!
Old 05-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Lol, it was on trans am wheels less than a hour after i had it.

I traded him something I didn't pay much for. So I won.

Its a long story, but I looked the ORIGINAL owner up, the one that truthfully built it. He described the car to a T. Even said the problems.

Ported heads, cam, ls6 manifold, tune (but poorly), 410 rear, 3200 circle d stall, built tranny.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Launching!

good ****, glad someone that will appreciate it has it now it looked like it could use some TLC.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Junkie

I hate people that lie like that, good u found out the truth
Old 05-02-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

you work at the o'reilly's on spencer? next to that car wash? that's right down the street from my dad's house/store. we go in there all the time.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Teching In

No, I'm the assistant manager at the one in LaPorte by sylvan beach.

I hook tech members up all the time. Lawhorn is a good customer of mine.

Quick Reply: Anoyone know anything about this car? Houston