Electrical HELP needed in Sa

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 10:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Electrical HELP needed in Sa

Well I literally went threw 10 20a fuses and 5 15a fuses on my fuse block next to my dash, the 20a were the tail lamp and the 15a the power accy. I have no clue why they keep popping on thier own, and instantly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I drive 1hr and 45mins every day to Freer, Tx and back, and my camaro gives me better mpg than my tb ss, so i really can't afford to have it out of commission.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put a bigger fuse in

check for a coin in the power accessory socket or if you have had the console out make sure a wire isn't getting pinched.

remove all your tail lamp bulbs; install new fuse and one by one reinstall your bulbs until the fuse pops; check wiring on the culprit
Old 05-09-2011, 09:08 AM
12 Second Club

There's no coins in the accessory socket, have never taken off the console.

I'll remove all the tail lamp bulbs when i get home and check the wiring from them. How hard is it to remove the fuse box to check the wiring behind it?
Old 05-09-2011, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

its a pain in the **** if you dont know what you are doing. Do you have the acc socket on side of console, Id recommend looking into both sockets cig and acc to see if there is rust or corrosion that could be causeing the short and did you spill anything on console has it been humid around there for tails id say corroded socket or water in houseing
Old 05-09-2011, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DarknessHunter
its a pain in the **** if you dont know what you are doing. Do you have the acc socket on side of console, Id recommend looking into both sockets cig and acc to see if there is rust or corrosion that could be causeing the short and did you spill anything on console has it been humid around there for tails id say corroded socket or water in houseing
Not around there, the only thing i can think of was because my heater core fawked up, and it had been leaking into the passenger front carpet area. I already bypassed the core, so its no longer leaking. Could the leaking have caused a short somewhere?
Old 05-09-2011, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

maybe, im not sure where the relays are for the lights and what not but there are a fer relay by the pass kick panel AND I think the bcm is somewhere behind the center of the dash so it might have gotten wet as well.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

bcm is behind glove box so think your safe there but i would check the cig and acc sockets to make sure they didnt rust on the back
Old 05-10-2011, 06:20 AM
12 Second Club

I removed both tail lamps, took out all the bulbs, cleaned the sockets and re-inserted the bulbs, checked all the harness from tail lamps. I found a small ground behind the left tail lamp, it looked rusty so i unscrewed it, resanded the contact area and reinstalled the screw holding the ground. Re-installed a new 15a power accy fuse and a 20a tail lamp fuse and it worked. Lets see how long it last.