Navy S.E.A.L. (now hiring)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011 | 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rickykline
So can you go from a civilian to a seal? Or must you join the navy and wait til boot camp is over to apply to be a seal? Be more specific.
No, if SEALs is what you want to do you need to talk to a recruiter and take the SQT, swim, push, pull, sit ups, and run test. Pass that and go to MEPS and get a contract with BUDs written in. Go to boot camp, do 2 months there while getting up early and pre buds workup before your normal day. Graduate boot camp, and you have to wait to class up in Great Lakes. They will keep your training up and teach you stuff like nutrition and proper ways to workout. After you class up you go to San Diego and start indoc. Roughly 4 weeks later week one begins... enjoy!
Old 05-10-2011 | 08:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 20lbbooster
Wow, you must have really taken my post the wrong way. As much as I'd like flame you back for blasting me in your reply, instead I'm gonna pay you some respect as an active duty member of our military, and a fellow sailor.

I'll restate my post in different words. I served my USN time in the Pacific Fleet, first in Adak Alaska on an unaccompanied, isolated tour, on an island in the middle of the Bering Sea. Followed by the USS John Paul Jones (DDG-53).

I loved the Navy. Those years were some of the best times of my life. I'd go so far as to say those years laid the foundation for the rest of my life. I loved being on the ship, "haze gray and underway."

I have no doubt that due to recent events that interest in the spec ops programs has peaked. I just hope you, as a recruiter, are setting realistic expectations for people looking to enlist.

By the way...every enlisted sailor has cleaned his fair share of toilets! A sailor who says he hasn't cleaned a toilet is a liar!!!!!!!!

I apologies 20lbbooste, perhaps I did. I never said the Navy was a glamorous life from beginning to end. Every branch out there, including Marines have to clean their toilets and serve food.....it's a part of discipline and teamwork. This post was set up for those who are interested in TRYING out for Special Ops Navy, which may lead them toward becoming a SEAL. There is only 1 way to become a SEAL and that is by enlisting into the Navy. The odds of becoming a SEAL are very, very slim and if you don't make it through the training of course you fall back and join the fleet. Joining the fleet is doing your technical job while deployed or you may get lucky and get a shore duty assignment. For you ex-Marines out there.... who say life was hard on a ship for sailors, most Marines I know didn't like leaving the ship because that was the easiest part of being in the Marines. Don't get me wrong, you guys are good at what you do and I have many Marine friends....but we have two different cultures. Deployment on a ship was never easy, especially if you had a family. But that's a part of serving your country. The Navy was all about seeing the world and enjoying different cultures. Today I make around $70,000 per year with full medical for me and my family. I have traveled over 12 countries world wide and Im always adding to my education with the free tuition assistance. You can get to this level in any of the branches out there, just be sure you know the life style of each one. Again, it's a post intended to promote SEAL "candidates," the timid need not apply.

Last edited by GOHOME; 05-10-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-10-2011 | 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GOHOME
I apologies 20lbbooste, perhaps I did. I never said the Navy was a glamorous life from beginning to end. Every branch out there, including Marines have to clean their toilets and serve food.....it's a part of discipline and teamwork. This post was set up for those who are interested in TRYING out for Special Ops Navy, which may lead them toward becoming a SEAL. There is only 1 way to become a SEAL and that is by enlisting into the Navy. The odds of becoming a SEAL are very, very slim and if you don't make it through the training of course you fall back and join the fleet. Joining the fleet is doing your technical job while deployed or you may get lucky and get a shore duty assignment. For you ex-Marines out there.... who say life was hard on a ship for sailors, most Marines I know didn't like leaving the ship because that was the easiest part of being in the Marines. Don't get me wrong, you guys are good at what you do and I have many Marine friends....but we have two different cultures. Deployment on a ship was never easy, especially if you had a family. But that's a part of serving your country. The Navy was all about seeing the world and enjoying different cultures. Today I make around $70,000 per year with full medical for me and my family. I have traveled over 12 countries world wide and Im always adding to my education with the free tuition assistance. You can get to this level in any of the branches out there, just be sure you know the life style of each one. Again, it's a post intended to promote SEAL "candidates," the timid need not apply.

Do not forget their are other special forces positions in the Navy that would lead to great opurtunities other than SEAL. SWCC and EOD are also great experiences and very rewarding jobs in the NAVY. If I had it all over again I would have gone EOD they are makin the big bucks post military as far as career goes.... Not that I would know or anything
Old 05-10-2011 | 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Default link for info

http://www.navy.com/careers/special-operations.html
Old 05-10-2011 | 06:25 PM
On The Tree

great stuff. remember tho, if you dont make it through the training and fail out. You now become "needs of the navy" god only know were they will send you for the remainder of your enlistment. I know this becausei spent for years in the Army as an 11b (infantry) and our company had plenty of Special Forces contracts that never made it.....
Old 05-10-2011 | 08:47 PM
Banned

What does it take sign me up
Old 05-10-2011 | 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by samuel642000
No, if SEALs is what you want to do you need to talk to a recruiter and take the SQT, swim, push, pull, sit ups, and run test. Pass that and go to MEPS and get a contract with BUDs written in. Go to boot camp, do 2 months there while getting up early and pre buds workup before your normal day. Graduate boot camp, and you have to wait to class up in Great Lakes. They will keep your training up and teach you stuff like nutrition and proper ways to workout. After you class up you go to San Diego and start indoc. Roughly 4 weeks later week one begins... enjoy!
Probably the most accurate statement in this post. I'm currently in Great Lakes at FCA school, the pre-buds (aka Baby Seals) share the barracks (ship) next to mine. Basically while here they workout like crazy, run your *** off, swim like dolphins, get some weapons training, and hit the classroom occasionally (straight from the horses mouth). The whole purpose of Great Lakes is to washout those who would fail out due to breaks and stress at the BUDS program. It's helped increase there programs grad rate to 70-80%. Also if you fail out it doesn't mean you go to a shitty job. If your ASVAB scores are high then expect an rate like FC, ET, IC...etc, if you scored a 15 expect to be hanging from a rope off the side of the ship chipping paint. Don't forget they're other programs such as EOD as well and FMF who are coremen attached to Marines units.

Quick Reply: Navy S.E.A.L. (now hiring)