GM's new CEO doesn't like the idea of big cube, 530+hp performance cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 03:23 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM's new CEO doesn't like the idea of big cube, 530+hp performance cars-l3qak.png
Old 06-08-2011, 03:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,668 Likes on 1,194 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Powell
So you are one of those people that hate on nicer cars because they cost to much money... So if you make something faster than it for less money they are a piece of **** to you... I figured so much. Also when you started bringing up how these smaller motors are going to be bigger and heavier than current LS motors. Wrong... Wrong... Wrong... The fact you looked at just Fords motor really proves the point you have NO clue what you are talking about...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow. I really don't even need to reply to this, because you've alread done an excellent job of making yourself look like a fool. Here's why:

So you are one of those people that hate on nicer cars because they cost to much money...
Not at all. Actually, it is YOU that's "one of those people" who develop a superiority complex based on your car. It started with this:

But at the end of the day it will always just be a Vette
I then remined you that there might be people with cars more expensive than yours, who would look down on your car. I then stated that their opinion isn't worth a **** either. Allow me to translate that for you, since you weren't able to figure it out based on my previous words.....

When it comes to any car, the only status-related opinion that matters is that of the owner.

I have expressed no hate for cars cheaper nor more expensive than my own. If you think that's what this is about, you are even more mistaken than you already seem to be.

Also when you started bringing up how these smaller motors are going to be bigger and heavier than current LS motors. Wrong... Wrong... Wrong... The fact you looked at just Fords motor really proves the point you have NO clue what you are talking about...

Nice try. Maybe someone will believe you.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Google motor size tax and you'll see why GM is researching smaller engines.

Here's the proposal from 2008:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/bil...Bills/6900.pdf

Over seas they are taxed by CC, and Obamma has brought this up numerous times.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:33 PM
8 Second Club

Yeah man complete fool of myself. You are right all DOHC V8s motors are huge and you know everything. So I'm guessing you've had a few Ferrari's come into the shop over the years to see those massive V8s in them as well...

Dude you made yourself look like an idiot. All you do is break up the post which you think will make you look more credible. I am one of those people you know it. I hate everything that doesn't cost as much as my car. You nailed it right on the head. Before I had an LS1 even I was on this forum and LS1.com to troll people like you (You registered one day ahead of me... Oh snap!!!)... And guess what bro... I'm still here... Don't plan on leaving either...

GM's new CEO doesn't like the idea of big cube, 530+hp performance cars-znote.jpg
Old 06-08-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Akerson responded: "I don't think the average buyer is going to buy an eight-cylinder, 530-horsepower (car)."
To me thats not true, at the Dealership I work at the 1st question out of the Vette buyers that come in is "how much is the Horsepower?" They like that Big number to brag to their friends since most will never race their car nor even hit passing gear, but they just like to say that big number of 430,505, or 638 hp or the Liter number. These cars are toys, not daily drivers...unless GM makes them with less displacement and larger horsepower they will fail with the new C7. To me the Corvette sales numbers are off cause they have had to much talk of the C7 rolling around for 2yrs and people are wanting the new model....no rich tweek wants to be seen driving last years bodystyle.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,668 Likes on 1,194 Posts

Yeah man complete fool of myself.
At least we agree on that.

Before I had an LS1 even I was on this forum and LS1.com to troll people like you
So you consider yourself a troll?

(You registered one day ahead of me... Oh snap!!!)... And guess what bro... I'm still here... Don't plan on leaving either...
Not sure what your point is.

I was on LS1.com too. I'm still here also. I'm not leaving. Guess we are even then???
Old 06-08-2011, 03:40 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
To me thats not true, at the Dealership I work at the 1st question out of the Vette buyers that come in is "how much is the Horsepower?" They like that Big number to brag to their friends since most will never race their car nor even hit passing gear, but they just like to say that big number of 430,505, or 638 hp or the Liter number. These cars are toys, not daily drivers...unless GM makes them with less displacement and larger horsepower they will fail with the new C7. To me the Corvette sales numbers are off cause they have had to much talk of the C7 rolling around for 2yrs and people are wanting the new model....no rich tweek wants to be seen driving last years bodystyle.
So if it made 800hp but was only 4.0ltr they wouldn't want it? I don't know why people have this common belief that it's a small motor so it won't make the power.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

unless GM makes them with less displacement and larger horsepower they will fail with the new C7
This is what I said...u may want to reread it
Old 06-08-2011, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

doesnt matter what they build.....we will fix it
+1! Us as LS1Tech Members have an obligation to make things unsensible fast!
Old 06-08-2011, 03:48 PM
8 Second Club

This is what I said...u may want to reread it
Mine was not necessarily to argue with you. It's just that what I don't understand is people in this thread who think because it is smaller that it's not going to be as powerful.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Well if they can make a 4.8L TT do 500hp that would be great but they shouldnt try and change the V8 platform...thats what makes a Vette a Vette...that would be like Porsche dropping the 4 Boxster for a W8 in the 911 and still calling it a 911....to me that would have to be an entirely new model and shouldn't be called a 911 at all
Old 06-08-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as it has an American rumble, makes gobbs or torque, is reliable, responds very good to mods, easy to work on, interchangeable parts... etc etc.. I'm good to go!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:06 PM
8 Second Club

I agree somewhat to that. Porsche did in fact start with the original 911's being a 4cyl and then moving to the 6cyl motor. They never changed the type of car, because like the Vette's all the 993/996/997 refer to is the body style. I don't think it would be such a bad thing for a motor change. It will still be a V style motor, just smaller. The ZR1 was a 6.2ltr vs the 7.0ltr and nobody complained. Personally from a drag racing perspective it would be nice to see the standard Vette get a strongly beefed up rearend and transmission setup. The ZR1 was good when it was built, but the standard C5, C6, C6Z, etc.. all were weak as could be.

Regardless since this is all still speculation I don't know why it is such a huge deal to people. This is the 4th or 5th thread in the Texas Section about it. I just keep having fun with the people that are getting so butt hurt with it.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Junkie

shows U how much I now about those fast VW's
Old 06-08-2011, 04:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Deceptikon
Here's a valuable life lesson. Ill only say it once so remember it... When you take something that is a niche, well refined and specific thing and water it down to make it palletable to the average person you will lose what defines that thing.

If gm wants to make more world/ eco friendly vehicles let them make new models. You would think they learned this lesson in the eighties. Corvettes aren't meant to be a car for everyone to drive. If this article does indeed relate to the vette .... then its a real shame.
what he said was exactly what the new CEO is trying to get away from...its sad that you and alot of people here actually think the same...

the corvette is not a well refined car. its better than the average american car, but it pales in comparision to some of the top dog of other car companies.

Im glad that the new guy is bringing in different people from various car companies to shake up things!!

"We must win. You can't go home at 5 and check out. And that was the culture here."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110606/...#ixzz1OihVJLte
Old 06-08-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Eh, all I know is, I'd take a 6.2L with a blower that will last 100k+ miles over a Ferrari 458 or most other exotics for that matter, that are considered "retired" with 15-25k miles on them. Not to mention I can't recall the last time I ever saw a decent anything exotic with a nice motor that was in my 23 year old price range. I did come across a 208gtb that was in my price range once...it caught fire and was basically 4 wheels and a partial shell.

Now as far as the displacement argument, I wouldn't mind a small CI v8. In fact I'm building a turbo 5.3 for my 3rd gen. But for the love of god, don't go putting a 4/6 cylinder motor in it or run off assuming that a DOHC v8 turbo is necessarily "better".

I've owned a 'vette, 2 LSx platform cars, and worked on enough DOHC v8s to have a valid opinion of them I'd say. I prefer pushrods and 8 pistons, other than that, I can make it work, big or small.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

This thread is going nowhere. I swear that some of yall could argue with a stick.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Boredom is a bitch, that's for sure! lol
Old 06-08-2011, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The corvette is a muscle car! It's always been brute power n/a! "no replacement for displacement kind of thing.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300
its because alot of people are ignorant!!!
Congratulations! You only misspelled 2 words while calling someone ignorant. You are a true modern day genius.