GM's new CEO doesn't like the idea of big cube, 530+hp performance cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GM's new CEO doesn't like the idea of big cube, 530+hp performance cars

Quote from a recent Detroit News article.

Instead of a full executive board meeting every Monday morning, "I said we need a strategy committee, we have to have a product design strategy committee, we had to have a product execution committee."

Those discussions aren't only happening in the boardroom. In a recent meeting with engineers, for example, Akerson pressed them to explain the logic behind putting a big 6.2-liter engine in an unspecified car whose competitor has a 4.4-liter turbocharged engine. The engineers replied: "Well, we want to be able to beat the other guy."

Akerson responded: "I don't think the average buyer is going to buy an eight-cylinder, 530-horsepower (car)." His point: Decisions must be supported by a solid business case, and not just for bragging rights or as a marketing tool.
I hope that he is referring to the base model C7, not the future C7 Z06 and ZR1 models.

Rumors are that Akerson, GM's new CEO, recently vetoed an engine that was going to be introduced in the 18 months from now, a new GEN V C7 engine. We can speculate that the trashed engine was going to be a monster. A monster that all LS1tech members would drool after. I am speculating that GM Performance engineers designed a 6.2L+ engine with 530+ hp, which Akerson was referring to in the article. We may never know. Maybe the Camaro will get this engine.

Why in the hell would he veto an engine that would have destroyed the competition? As he said, the C7 must be a practical sports car that ultimately produces a profit, not a hardcore performance car that would scare away customers. I don't the average person can handle 530+hp. Keep in mind the C6's sales numbers are absolutely pitiful. The Corvette is GM's pride and joy, it must sell and must represent a "new" GM on the streets. Good looking exteriors and interiors and MPGs are GM's game plan. Like the Camaro, the C7 will be a car designed to sell and not to be an all out performance car. The Camaro is nothing but a sales success, however IMO it lacks on performance side. Profits first, bragging rights second.

The C7 will be an extremely, well refined performance car, dare say Porsche like. The Corvette is now a global sports car, not just an American sports car. GM is going to attract many new customers that normally looks towards European makes.

Akerson is steering GM in a new direction and he is doing a good job IMO. I now have higher expectations for the C7. It better have the technology and exterior/interior styling that blows Porsche and other competitors out of the water.

We can all agree that a base C7 with a 6.2+ that makes 530hp+ would be awesome. Just imagine the possibilities. However, If the rumors are true and the C7 will get a small turbo V8 that makes 400hp+, so be it. But I hope for the sake of GM performance that engine will be fully built with quality, high strength parts. LS1Tech will turn the boost up .

Last edited by texas94z; 06-07-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 6.2L V8 OHV may be/is cheaper to design/make than a DOHC 4.4 V8 w/ two turbos. Cost is the #1 factor when GM does anything. Alway has/will be.

CEOs lie and fib more so than most people and this one is only a temp one. He may make some mark but the next CEO will probably be the one that sets the roadmap.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think your reasoning is off and you are scaring your self. So tell me what the 4.4l turbo motor is in? I searched fords web site, dodge, Chrysler, other gm, and then goggled and only came up with a BMW. I hope a CEO of a large corporation is not comparing a BMW to a Corvette. Yes you can say well what CAR does Gm put a 6.2 in Camaro, Corvette, G8, and CTS V possibly some i missed. Of all the cars listed and with the manufacturer i found that has a turbo 4.4L i would never speculate gm was going to put a small motor in a Corvette. If they were comparing apples to apples then he would be talking about the G8.

Just my .02
Old 06-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

I thought the 4.4 turbo was in the gtr.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe he is homo?
Old 06-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

It's Government Motors now. Who gives a ****? I've written them off.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if i were to have a corvette i wouldnt want the engine to be smaller than its little brother would have....it would either be the same or bigger
Old 06-07-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Junkie

doesnt matter what they build.....we will fix it
Old 06-07-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Who cares if it's 714 cubic inches if it still gets comparable mpg, cost less to build and outperforms the competition?
Old 06-07-2011, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

Perhaps he was referring to the Trucks? Speculation is that Ford has a 4.4L Turbo Diesel for their Super Duty's...

/me shrugs
Old 06-07-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1x2
It's Government Motors now. Who gives a ****? I've written them off.
GM repaid the government loans. GM is on a huge rebound right now. I wouldn't right them off.

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
doesnt matter what they build.....we will fix it
That's what I'm saying .
Old 06-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Originally Posted by texas94z
GM repaid the government loans. GM is on a huge rebound right now. I wouldn't right them off.

That's what I'm saying .
They repaid the bailout money with more bailout money. Obama still owns that place. The CEO doesn't mean anything. He's gone if he pisses of our new king.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

They repaid the bailout money with more bailout money. Obama still owns that place. The CEO doesn't mean anything. He's gone if he pisses of our new king.
No, GM repaid their government loans with interest. The government bought shares of GM worth roughly 45 billion dollars. GM is producing profits and government is very happy with their invest.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the new vette gets this the c6 z06 will be it for me
Old 06-07-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Well hopefully this up coming vette wont turn into the Crossfire Vette of the 80's
Old 06-07-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=texas94z;15010083]Quote from a recent Detroit News article.

The Corvette is now a global sports car, not just an American sports car. GM is going to attract many new customers that normally looks towards European makes.

QUOTE]

i guess GM is finally getting smart..and stop listening to a bunch of close minded Americans!!!!!!

some of you guys are so close minded that you keep yourself from growing..financially and/or mentally!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2011, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how many chicken little's populate this place now?
Old 06-07-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

Essentially this is the case. The loan was repaid from a TARP funded escrow account, billions in additional TARP money. GM definitely did not repay the loan from earnings/profits, basically taxpayer money, again...Very misleading for GM to claim they repaid the loan, its more like they transferred the balance from credit card to another.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sc300
i guess GM is finally getting smart..and stop listening to a bunch of close minded Americans!!!!!!

some of you guys are so close minded that you keep yourself from growing..financially and/or mentally!!!!!!
LOL at this guy ALWAYS bringing up people's financial status. He clearly has issues in this department. Maybe it's because he is the poor MF'er in his circle of friends?

You NEVER EVER make a point much less any sense in your posts. Sure. You're trying...Notice, I spelled "you're" correctly...But, you always seem to just make yourself look like an idiot and a douche bag.

These hardcore GM guys have every right to complain about a new CEO elect coming in and insinuating big cube, big torque, and big power making engines are useless. Most of these guys are GM loyalist and customers. Like I said, they have a right to complain or voice their negative opinion. It doesn't make them "close minded Americans". I love how you made that statement almost in a way as if you consider yourself "non-American". That's typical of you, so I'm not really surprised.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by -Ross-
LOL at this guy ALWAYS bringing up people's financial status. He clearly has issues in this department. Maybe it's because he is the poor MF'er in his circle of friends?

You NEVER EVER make a point much less any sense in your posts. Sure. You're trying...Notice, I spelled "you're" correctly...But, you always seem to just make yourself look like an idiot and a douche bag.

These hardcore GM guys have every right to complain about a new CEO elect coming in and insinuating big cube, big torque, and big power making engines are useless. Most of these guys are GM loyalist and customers. Like I said, they have a right to complain or voice their negative opinion. It doesn't make them "close minded Americans". I love how you made that statement almost in a way as if you consider yourself "non-American". That's typical of you, so I'm not really surprised.
Him and retardedpenguin must be friends.