Need some info from a cop or someone who knows

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1nterceptor
That is absolutely 100% WRONG! Not only do you not have the "right" to brake check someone, you have a duty to take action to avoid a collision. It never has been and never will be on a state driving test, and if a driver ed teacher is teaching that, they should be beaten. Maybe that's why so many people are such horrible drivers.
I wouldn't say "absolutely 100%". While it's not a 'right', it is said in Defensive Driving (at least the course I'm currently taking) that if someone is following too closely that you feel it is unsafe, a nice 'warning' could be to tap your brakes a little as to hopefully give them the hint they are following too closely and should back off.

It also states that slower traffic should stay to the right.
In this situation, OP should've just pulled over to the side a little and let him go around you.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS69TA
Yep, 24/7. Most that I know aren't going to mess with anyone off duty unless they're REALLY asking for it though.

How else are we supposed to get to the station?

That is pretty much stupid of them. I guess they don't think an officer can be shot while in a MARKED patrol car, sticking out like a sore thumb. If somebody wants to shoot a police officer randomly, I'd figure the odds would be better of finding one in a black & white. Does the dept. give them time to change in/out of uniform on the clock?
yeah she said her ex would change clothes at his staition
Old 06-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom used to say, "Lead, follow, or get the fu(k out the way."

I honestly cannot stand when someone does exactly like the OP says he did. Just get out of the way. Simple. You have no idea why this person is driving the way they are. Could be an emergency. Pay attention to your rear view. You see someone coming up fast, get out of their way. If you can't get out of their way & you see them trying to get around you, slow down so they can pass safely.

"Move B!t(h! Get out the way!" ~ Ludacris
Old 06-20-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Same exact thing happened to me about 7 or 8 years ago. I was driving a green Integra (broke HS student) and the cop was driving a white SS. He came up on my *** while I was in the right hand lane and he had plenty of room to pass in EITHER lanes on my left (no one on the road but us) but he didn't. So I downshifted and floored it with all of it's glorious 200 hp and he stayed right on my *** and proceeded to finally pass me on the left and wave his badge at me through the window. I pulled over and freaked out. He went to his car with my information for a minute and gave me a stern warning. It was stupid of me to take off like that and it was stupid of him to ride my *** the way he did. We were both stupid and nothing more ever came of it.

I understand the cops frustration in your situation, I can't stand people that don't yield to faster traffic or even more accelerate the moment I start to pass them. Not only am I having to take the risk and pass on the right, but now you're going to accelerate and try and block me? Drive faster or get the **** out of the way...
Old 06-21-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lol. I liked reading this. Sounds you were being a tool and he was too.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Launching!

First off, if someone wants to pass you let them pass. I hate it when
I go to pass someone & they speed up. I'm not surprised he was upset.

But, I thought that it was illegal for a cop to drive 1 mph over the speed
limit regardless of reason unless they had their lights on?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OSU Football Fan
First off, if someone wants to pass you let them pass. I hate it when
I go to pass someone & they speed up. I'm not surprised he was upset.

But, I thought that it was illegal for a cop to drive 1 mph over the speed
limit regardless of reason unless they had their lights on?
I saw a cop this morning coming to work yelling out the window of his suv at the guy in the left lane doing 50 and backing traffic up. There are sign out on 75 that say slower traffic keep right.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

I hate people riding the left lane and going slow as ****. And there would be a pack of cars doing the same speed across all the lanes, with nobody in front of them. Move the hell over if you gonna drive that slow. Another thing I hate is people flashing there light at you after you passes them, like I'm gonna slow down.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by red90cobra
I saw a cop this morning coming to work yelling out the window of his suv at the guy in the left lane doing 50 and backing traffic up. There are sign out on 75 that say slower traffic keep right.
I don't disagree with you. In fact, in Oklahoma you can be ticketed
for staying in the left lane, even if you're driving the speed limit.

What I meant was, I thought that in order for a police officer to
speed or break any traffic laws he had to have his flashing lights on.
So if the police officer was speeding to respond to a call in a personal
vehicle without lights, he would be breaking the law just like the OP.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much. a girl I went to HS with had an off duty cop force her to pull over into a parking lot. He wasn't in uniform and wouldn't let her call the police. He told her she had done something wrong (something minor like changing lanes without signaling). He took her info and told her to watch the mail because she was going to learn. She was scared and shaking when she got to school. A week later she got a letter in the mail from him telling her that she was lucky he didn't mail her a ticket and that she needed to learn to drive better. This girls dad took the letter to someone high up with Dallas PD and the officer lost his job.

If you get anything in the mail, I would go straight up the ladder with the police department.

I used to respect police officers more than I do now. In the last 10 years I have seen more police officers drive like idiots in patrol cars and their personal vehicles. My buddy that is HPD knows because I give him crap about it. He said the quality of people coming in is not what is used to be.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverL...ments/DL-7.pdf

have fun
Old 06-22-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
I did not have time to read through all of it but I did come across this part

Page 14/15 shows he can be terminated for racing on a public roadway or put on Administrative leave for wreckless driving...
Old 06-22-2011, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Page 43
Page 72 has good info