ws6 or 03 cobra???

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love cobras/Termis. Almost/kinda wish i would of bought one, but i couldnt find one anywhere near the price range the OP find one for and also my car is my DD and im pretty sure their cable clutches which is a damn leg workout practically compared to the buttery smooth LS7 clutch.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
and im pretty sure their cable clutches which is a damn leg workout practically compared to the buttery smooth LS7 clutch.
Indeed. Much stiffer than the TA.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:58 PM
***Repost Police***

Which is why I find it hilarious when F-body/Corvette owners bitch about driving their 6spd cars every day because "it's a real leg workout"
Old 06-30-2011, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ True statement. Throw em in a Termi and theyll be wishing they had that hydraulic clutch back.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:58 AM
On The Tree

The LS7 clutch is a pile of junk if you race or add a bit more hp to a car.

Last edited by winters97gt; 07-01-2011 at 02:00 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Schmalgar
Indeed. Much stiffer than the TA.
I put a Centerforce in my 03. It's like night and day from stock. Much easier. The guy that sold the car to me actually sold it for that reason. He was about 50 and said it was killing him to drive it around. What he didn't know was the clutch was supposed to be stiffer, but not that stiff. The cable was badly frayed and broke a month after I got the car. I put the replacement on and it was a huge improvement.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:26 PM
***Repost Police***

And it is amazing what an adjustable cable/quadrant does for the clutch as well.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by viper1
I put a Centerforce in my 03. It's like night and day from stock. Much easier.
Interesting, I might look into that!
Old 07-01-2011, 01:06 AM
Teching In

i liked my stage 3+ with an adjustable quadrant
Old 07-01-2011, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ragu1585
lol ignorance/lack of knowledge hits us again. better luck next time with your arguements
Either you guys don't know what ignorant means, or you're all dumbasses. I don't like mod motors. Plain and simple. Maybe you do, and that's fine. The OP wanted to know our opinions and I gave it to him.

The fix for the sparkplug holes gets the job done, but it is risky. When you put it in, the aluminum shavings fall down in your cylinder and can bend valves. And guess what, you still only have 4 threads. Sure the material is better and it holds on, but it is not uncommon for the sleeve to come out with the plug when you change the sparkplugs.

Also, when you bore a mod motor, the cylinders distort as much as 4/1000 after you torque the headbolts because the head bolts are tied closely to the cylinder (note that this isn't a problem if you use a torque plate). They also use oil more commonly than the LS style engine (mostly in town driving) because of the low tension oil rings.

And yea, squad cars and taxis MAY go 3 or 400k. But you WILL encounter more problems than you would with an LS style engine all things being equal. Period. These guys are not machinists. Don't be fooled by the things that they say just because they gang up on someone who has a different opinion than theirs. Ask any decent, unbiased machinist and he will tell you that there are more fundamental problems with the mod motor than the LS1.

Now you can make an informed decision. You can make good power with a mod motor, the decision is yours. And even if you make a different decision than I did, I won't call you retarded or ignorant because I feel the need to reassure myself about my car. I drive an LS1.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by T-Top
Either you guys don't know what ignorant means, or you're all dumbasses. I don't like mod motors. Plain and simple. Maybe you do, and that's fine. The OP wanted to know our opinions and I gave it to him.

The fix for the sparkplug holes gets the job done, but it is risky. When you put it in, the aluminum shavings fall down in your cylinder and can bend valves. And guess what, you still only have 4 threads. Sure the material is better and it holds on, but it is not uncommon for the sleeve to come out with the plug when you change the sparkplugs.

Also, when you bore a mod motor, the cylinders distort as much as 4/1000 after you torque the headbolts because the head bolts are tied closely to the cylinder (note that this isn't a problem if you use a torque plate). They also use oil more commonly than the LS style engine (mostly in town driving) because of the low tension oil rings.

And yea, squad cars and taxis MAY go 3 or 400k. But you WILL encounter more problems than you would with an LS style engine all things being equal. Period. These guys are not machinists. Don't be fooled by the things that they say just because they gang up on someone who has a different opinion than theirs. Ask any decent, unbiased machinist and he will tell you that there are more fundamental problems with the mod motor than the LS1.

Now you can make an informed decision. You can make good power with a mod motor, the decision is yours. And even if you make a different decision than I did, I won't call you retarded or ignorant because I feel the need to reassure myself about my car. I drive an LS1.
this coming from a guy who didnt buy a car because his daddy told him this and that.... and as far as oil burnin, ive had 2 ls style cars (both vettes) and 4 mustangs and not one of my mustangs did i ever have to add oil between oil changes, but i add oil in my lsx cars everytime between oil changes - go figure... im not hating on ls motors, i love my vettes, more then my mustangs (cobra was right there with the vettes) but im just blown away by your knowledge between the 2 style motors, thats all.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

What the hell does who taught me what I know have to do with it? That's a stupid irrelevant thing to say.

And I'm not talking about your vettes and mustangs. I'm talking about on average. What is ignorant, is if anyone wants to argue that a mod motor will use less oil on average than an LS motor. That is ignorant.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Also, my dad owns a VERY successful performance machine shop. He's not some spode that just mouths off like apparently some of you are. So if I'm going to take anyone's word, it'd be his.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What the hell does who taught me what I know have to do with it? That's a stupid irrelevant thing to say.

And I'm not talking about your vettes and mustangs. I'm talking about on average. What is ignorant, is if anyone wants to argue that a mod motor will use less oil on average than an LS motor. That is ignorant.
I know plenty of procharged little 2v's that don't have any oil issues, my old cobra used up oil but it was a 347 stroker. The fact is arguing which car is better is just plain stupid in the first place, not just oil consumption.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:30 PM
LS7 Member

ls motors love to eat oil. That's not a very good argument...
Old 07-03-2011, 07:25 PM
***Repost Police***

Yeah, my mom's '01 Vette eats a few quarts between changes... most of that is coming from the leaking rear main seal, which neither of my Mustangs ever had a problem with. And she does NOT drive her car hard at all.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Again, there are plenty of cases where an ls motor used oil and a mod motor didn't. We're talking about on average here. Big picture. There are way to many variables to look at a single owner's experience.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:55 PM
***Repost Police***

Your dad's experiences aren't necessarily any more valid than our's... when looking at the big picture, he still has VERY limited experience with either engine compared to how many of them are out there. And there are WAY WAY WAY more mod motors out there than LSx engines.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Again, there are plenty of cases where an ls motor used oil and a mod motor didn't. We're talking about on average here. Big picture. There are way to many variables to look at a single owner's experience.
Time to shutup.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UTEvo8
ls motors love to eat oil. That's not a very good argument...
My white camaro went through oil like it was gas, my black camaro didn't really go through much, and my blue cobra didn't go through any that I remember, both my trucks didn't(don't) go through oil...

And I like to drive my cars...

Quick Reply: ws6 or 03 cobra???