ws6 or 03 cobra???

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ws6 or 03 cobra???

ok fellas even though transam has a special place in my heart,i am torn between getting another ws6 or an 03-04 cobra..trying to look at the performance aspect of either car. (i.e which response to mods quicker/less money faster car.) i'm a bit familiar with the 03-04 cobra i know they react to mods pretty we'll,i'm also looking at autos... i do drag race alot and just like the fact that in an auto, i can line it up slam on the gas and let the car do the work vs a manual where you might run in too a mis- shift every now and then...

soo fellas let me know what you guys think!!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

since you already owned a ws6 get a cobra
Old 06-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Teching In

point taken!!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

WS6 looks better
Old 06-21-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hell no, go with the WS6, it's more unique, I see a lot of Cobras around here, and WS6s are much sexier. I'd say they react better to mods as well and they sound better as well
Old 06-21-2011, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

hate to say it, but id take the cobra
Old 06-21-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drag race a lot, fbody. Period.

If you are looking at cobras.. Get a c5z. Same price with way more performance.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Banned

I've got both. I agree with the opinions that the WS6 is better looking and sexier. But I have to admit, that stock for stock anyway, the Cobra is the better performer and more fun to drive.

But yeah, an auto will be better for the track, and you'd have to spend bucks to swap an auto into the Cobra. The Cobras have infamous weak rear ends too, that need work (at least an IRS brace) for the track.

I would also take into account which car, if either, is more prevalent in your area. If you see tons of f-bodies, I might lean towards the Cobra, and vice versa. As one guy mentioned, rarity can be a factor. There's always someone who says 'just get a vette, they're better'. But the performance isn't everything. Every old guy around here has a Corvette. I'd rather have a Terminator than a vette, because I've only seen 2 others in this area, compared to a hundred midlife crisis Corvettes.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

How many slammed c5z blacked out Windows with a cam lope do you see though? A cobra sounds like a cobra.

I don't know why you would cross shop an fbody and cobra, it should be a z and cobra. And there is no comparison there.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

both are unique , you probaly see less tas than mustangs , im sure on that but for cobra vs ws6 its tough. I know how little money can make a cobra faster .

if you drag race go with the ws6 , the cobras a stick which you really dont want and irs which depending on how fast you go might get swapped out .
Old 06-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Banned

Not saying that a c5z isn't a better car. Sure it is. And yeah, not many as you describe around. Just saying that for me, Corvettes in general are a dime a dozen around here, and that's a turn off for me. Of course Mustangs are a dime a dozen as well, I know that, but the Terminators at least are rare here. If it was the other way around, I might lean more towards a vette too. I just want to stand out a little. The WS6 stands out plenty as well, there's only 1 SS and 2 other Firebirds in this area (though one of them is an identical red WS6!). So both my cars stand out more visually than the mass of vettes, which I like.

But of course, for the track, that's not as important. There it really is all about the performance. But still, the question is 'WS6 or Terminator'...
Old 06-21-2011, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

At the end of the day a cobra is a mustang.

A cobra doesn't stand out any more than a z does to the vast majority of people.

That is what it says. But if he is swayed from, Imo, making a bad buy with the cobra over a z, so be it.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Banned

A bad buy? Sheez. There's always something better out there. You could have something better than a WS6, but yet you have a WS6. It's not always about getting the best possible performer, ignoring all other factors and considerations.

I'm not gonna turn this thread into an argument about vettes vs everything else. Vettes are of course great cars. But geez, it's not a 'bad buy' to get a Cobra. They're not going to be the same price, I think you're wrong on that. The Cobra will be cheaper, and they're fine cars and can be modded easily and cheaply into VERY good track performers. What's wrong with that?
Old 06-21-2011, 12:55 PM
12 Second Club

If you search hard enough you can find 2006 C6 vettes for about the same as what a c5 z06 is. Gotta look REAL hard though!
Old 06-21-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

I have had all the above and kept the C5Z, sold the rest. I prefer the C5Z in almost every way when compared to my 03 DSG coupe and F-body. That being said, you can definitely find some cheap power with regard to pulley swap and other bolt-ons in the cobra, my bolt-on pullied 03 made 461 RWHP and felt fairly quick at the time (bought new in nov 02). I still had a hard time pulling on a buddies C5Z that only had cold air and catback and no tune, we are talking 1-2 cars by the time we were at a 120 mph. A cam only, bolt-on C5Z will walk away from a pullied bolt-on 03/04. Whipple and KB cars are different story, but you still have a considerable weight advantage and the close ratio MN12 in your favor.

The C5Z beats either F-body or 03/04 cobra in the handling dept, hands down.

They all have fairly cheap and shitty interior, so take your pick there. You can find 03/04s and C5Zs in the same ballpark price wise. I have even seen some 03s with KB or whipple chargers go around 23-24K. I would keep my eyes peeled for one of those if you are really keen to buy an 03.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

For what I paid and what I got, I don't think there are any better buys, imo.

Cobra will run 1-2k cheaper on average but you get way way more with the vette. The cobra isn't even in the same game as a Z.
Imo it is a bad buy if for the same price you have a car that outperforms it 2-1.. As welp as holds its value better, etc etc..

My opinion.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Banned

Ok, since I think these responses are for me, I'll say this part again.

I completely agreed that the Z is a better car. Never once argued it. I/we never said the Cobra was in the same league as the C5Z. Quit trying to convince me please.

I only noted that the question is 'WS6 or Cobra'. Not 'WS6 or Cobra or any other car you think is better'. I tried to stay in the bounds of the question. All I'm saying is, you guys could try doing the same. Someone ALWAYS gives the 'get a vette its better and costs the same' answer, no matter what cars are being compared, even when people aren't asking about vettes. That gets a little annoying... Everyone should be driving vettes based on the frequency of that answer...
Old 06-21-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
If you are looking at cobras.. Get a c5z. Same price with way more performance.
^ This.

But if your against the Corvette then pick the Cobra.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get the Cobra, if/when the motor lets go just put a LS7 in it and let it eat.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The C5Z might do better on a road course, but an 03-04 Cobra will stay right with it in a straight line. Swap a pulley and it's game over for the Z.

Why wouldn't someone cross shop an fbody and a mustang?

Quick Reply: ws6 or 03 cobra???