I'm in Austin what's fun to do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Bob Bullock Texas History Museum downtown is pretty cool as well!
Old 06-27-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Death metal pizza is freaking awesome. We always get a couple of slices after the bars. In reality its probably the worst pizza in the world, but we are usually so drunk it tastes really good.
well, i went to college in NY, so i've had my share of 'real' NY style pizza. while Hoek's wouldn't rank amongst the best i've had, its far from the worst. better than most i've had in dallas for NY style (pastazio's is the best).
Old 06-27-2011, 09:23 PM
10 Second Club

Picture of the back side of Hula Hut.

I had the Fjita Beef Pipline enchilada they were damn good. Sorry no picture of it you just get to see whats left lol My Wife took a pic before it was all gone lol.

My wife had the Shrimp Pipline enchilada.

If anyone know the guy that works there with the 98-02 Black TA tell him to repaint his damn mirrors lol.

Round Rock Donuts

And the donut we got lol

Just to give you a idea of how big the damn this is here's the box on top of my 17'in laptop.

So Salt lick for lunch tomorrow..

As for the LBJ Library on the UT campus we will be doing this too. Thanks for the tip.

Keep them coming guys.. We want more things to try out.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

oh, make sure you go to the original location for the salt lick, which is in driftwood (like 15 min SW of austin)
Old 06-27-2011, 09:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
oh, make sure you go to the original location for the salt lick, which is in driftwood (like 15 min SW of austin)
Thats the plan my wifes aunt live in Driftwood.. So this will be lunch before we go see her. lol
Old 06-27-2011, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Z Tejas has some great food as well.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Went to the river Saturday. Went down the horseshoe 2x. Not bad, a little bit of walking towards the end. Get some water shoes and a case of beer for you. Bring your sunglasses so you can peak at the ladies. When your done, go eat at the Gristmill in Gruene, TX.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

I am glad you liked Hula Hut. I think it is owned by Chuys. It is pretty good food. We try to hit it every time we go to Austin. The Pipeline Enchilada is my favorite.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Teching In

This is cool that SS is actually posting things he's doing based off recommendations. You see posts where people ask, but never follow up. Way to go SS.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Quick
This is cool that SS is actually posting things he's doing based off recommendations. You see posts where people ask, but never follow up. Way to go SS.
Its because I have good recommendations, jk. Also Mt Benile or however you spell it is pretty cool to hike up and look over the lake.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:33 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Go to The Oasis and get an outdoor table overlooking the lake and the dam. Best feature is watching the sunset, but it gets crowded for that reason at the appropriate time. The food is generally not that good, the attraction is the view, but they have great queso dip and the fries are pretty good too.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Been to the Hula Hut (after a day of ski'ing) and it's pretty good - that donut looks bad freaking ***!!
Old 06-28-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some other family things is the Austin Bat tours down town. You can stand on the congress bridge and watch, but the boat part adds a little more fun to it. Just be there before sunset. Also check out the Duck Adventures.

http://www.capitalcruises.com/bat-watching/
http://www.austinducks.com/
Barton springs pool, and hamilton pool are good for swimming outside of just a normal pool. Also Volente Beach is out in Leander.

Food:

Something out of the ordinary would be to drive out to lockhart and do the bbq tours (Smitty's, Blacks, Kreuz).

My favorites: Salt Lick, Matt's El Rancho (tex mex), Domenick's (pizza), 24 dinner (chicken and waffle), Sandy's hamburgers, Freddies Frozen Custard, Evengeline Cafe, Torchy's Tacos, Foodheads, and Players to name a few. I usually go to Players before I watch a show at the Imax. Place has been a student hangout since the 70's.

Domenick's is in Cedar Park, and has been rated top pizza in Austin numerous times. Close to RR I would try , Casa Garcias, Mighty Fine Burgers, and Gumbos ($$).

There is alot more to do, just can't remember off the top of my head.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Paradox on 6th street
Old 06-28-2011, 03:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by redz_02
Some other family things is the Austin Bat tours down town. You can stand on the congress bridge and watch, but the boat part adds a little more fun to it. Just be there before sunset. Also check out the Duck Adventures.

http://www.capitalcruises.com/bat-watching/
http://www.austinducks.com/
Barton springs pool, and hamilton pool are good for swimming outside of just a normal pool. Also Volente Beach is out in Leander.

Food:

Something out of the ordinary would be to drive out to lockhart and do the bbq tours (Smitty's, Blacks, Kreuz).

My favorites: Salt Lick, Matt's El Rancho (tex mex), Domenick's (pizza), 24 dinner (chicken and waffle), Sandy's hamburgers, Freddies Frozen Custard, Evengeline Cafe, Torchy's Tacos, Foodheads, and Players to name a few. I usually go to Players before I watch a show at the Imax. Place has been a student hangout since the 70's.

Domenick's is in Cedar Park, and has been rated top pizza in Austin numerous times. Close to RR I would try , Casa Garcias, Mighty Fine Burgers, and Gumbos ($$).

There is alot more to do, just can't remember off the top of my head.
Just got back from Barton Springs that was fun.. but holy **** its slippery in the shallow end. And OMG when people tell you it's COLD it doesn't click until you put your damn foot in the water.

Going to Salt licks after this in the next hour.

We went to Freddies Frozen Custard on Sunday lol

The Bat tours down town You can stand on the congress bridge and watch, but the boat part adds a little more fun to it."

This sounds like a lot of fun whats the best time to go??
Old 06-28-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

for a breakfast tacos go to Juan in a million
Old 06-28-2011, 04:02 PM
10 Second Club

Keep them coming!!

I need more night time things to do with the kids... looks like the bat thing is going to be tonight just need to know when the best time to go is.

As far as food places to go OMG ya'll have a **** ton of places to go lol I can't make them all so make me a top 10 list of places to go.

Any good places to go for breakfast in the morning?
Old 06-28-2011, 04:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jaysan
for a breakfast tacos go to Juan in a million
Location???
Old 06-28-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I first moved here in 2004 and decided to go with a group to Barton Springs pool. I heard it was cold but everyone had me convinced it wasn't so I jumped in head first. Bad idea.

The bats only come out before sunset for feeding so I'm guessing around 5 or 6, you should be good. The bridge gets a little crowded. If you want to do the boat tour, just give them a call and they'll give you a time. Just make sure you're on the congress bridge if you're just going to watch. Plus you can park at the meter for free after 5:30 I believe.

As for Freddy's, ever since I moved from south Austin to Cedar Park I can't stay away from that place.

Last edited by redz_02; 06-28-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSHAWK
Location???
2300 Cesar Chavez Street.

on the opposite side of 35 from downtown. Adam from Man vs. Food was there a while back, he tried the Don Juan Challenge.

http://www.juaninamillion.com/