Gym recommendation: South Austin

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 02:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gym recommendation: South Austin

Im here in Austin for awhile working with the fam in another part of Texas. I figure now is as good of time as any to start getting back in shape since I now have the time.

What I am looking for seems easy enough as I think it should be standard at every gym...

Pool
Cardio
Weights
Hot Tub
Sauna

Ive been to the Lifetime off of Mopac and William Cannon but that place just feels too expensive ("Special" for the month is $89 activation and $70/month). If I had that kind of money to sling around, I would join but alas... thats not the case.

Looked at the 24 Hour Fitness' website, have yet to visit it in person thou (and is subsequently cheaper than the Lifetime, not as many amenities thou).

Checked out the Y but for nearly the same price as Lifetime ($49 fee, $60/month) I couldnt justify it.

If there are any others in that area (I know there is a Golds there but their website doesnt list what equipment they have at that location) please feel free to suggest an alternative.

If someone happens to know how to get a better deal at Lifetime, feel free to PM me.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been a member of Lifetime, 24, and golds.

Best for your money is easily Lifetime. I paid 79 a month, but there is pretty much nothing that gym is missing. I just didn't have the time for it all. Paying that much just for 5 days a week of weight time is crazy.

I just bought a house in Cedar Park so I changed back to Golds. Eventually I will go back to Lifetime. FYI golds and 24 are centered around Weights, Cardio, and classes. If you have the money and are going to utilize it, Lifetime is great. One bad thing about the Y, they are not that strict concerning kids playing in areas they shouldn't.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know if there's a LA Fitness in Austin, but it's worth looking into. It's about $30 a month around here.

If you're going to go with 24 hour fitness, get a membership through Costco. I think it's like $11 or $13 a month if you're a Costco member.

Edit: Found the link
Old 06-28-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I work at lifetime as a swim instructor and get free membership . You should apply if you want a free gym membership . Maybe you could work the front desk or something

planet fitness is pretty cheap but I don't think it has what you're looking for
Old 06-28-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by redz_02
I have been a member of Lifetime, 24, and golds.

Best for your money is easily Lifetime. I paid 79 a month, but there is pretty much nothing that gym is missing. I just didn't have the time for it all. Paying that much just for 5 days a week of weight time is crazy.

I just bought a house in Cedar Park so I changed back to Golds. Eventually I will go back to Lifetime. FYI golds and 24 are centered around Weights, Cardio, and classes. If you have the money and are going to utilize it, Lifetime is great. One bad thing about the Y, they are not that strict concerning kids playing in areas they shouldn't.
Believe me... I love the Lifetime. I, as well, would be doing 5 days a week as I drive back home on weekends BUT I plan on utilizing the facilities 2x/day (before work and after work). I just cant justify spending $70/month on that although looking around I might not have a choice. 24 Hour is $60 down and $30 a month but they only have 1 pool and no rockwall or racquetball.

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
I don't know if there's a LA Fitness in Austin, but it's worth looking into. It's about $30 a month around here.

If you're going to go with 24 hour fitness, get a membership through Costco. I think it's like $11 or $13 a month if you're a Costco member.

Edit: Found the link

No LA Fitness here in Austin. The 24 hour Costco deal looks good... just cant drop $300 for it at the moment.

Originally Posted by jaysan
I work at lifetime as a swim instructor and get free membership . You should apply if you want a free gym membership . Maybe you could work the front desk or something

planet fitness is pretty cheap but I don't think it has what you're looking for
Thanks but I am already working m-f 8-5 and driving back home (Greenville, Tx.) on weekends. Dont have the time for an additional job right now. Maybe after I move to night shift I could.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:04 AM
TECH Regular

Alright, forget the gym thing.... I can do anything at home that I can do at a gym, except swim.

Sooo, anyone know of a pool to swim at in South Austin? I asked my friend last night if he knew anyone that had a pool (house or apartment) and he doesnt. I need somewhere to do some laps on the cheap... anyone know of anywhere?
Old 06-30-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

How far south are you I can get you in for free at any city of Austin pool . There are a couple menchaca
Old 07-01-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can always go swim at Deep Eddy or Barton Springs pool. Just be ready for you nuts to get sucked up in your chest b/c it's a natural spring and a tad cold.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

FYI, the 24 hour fitness on William Cannon has a pretty good lap pool. Can always give it a try. Plus they have a no contract policy and you can cancel over the phone.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jaysan
How far south are you I can get you in for free at any city of Austin pool . There are a couple menchaca
Brodie and Slaughter. That would be awesome, thanks for the offer.

You can always go swim at Deep Eddy or Barton Springs pool. Just be ready for you nuts to get sucked up in your chest b/c it's a natural spring and a tad cold.
Yea, swam at Barton Springs before.... and yes, it is a tad cold.

FYI, the 24 hour fitness on William Cannon has a pretty good lap pool. Can always give it a try. Plus they have a no contract policy and you can cancel over the phone.
Gotta pay first and last months "dues" up front ($69.11 as of this posting) and $30/month (which itself isnt bad, its the $70 up front that hurts the pocket book when your family is living in 2 different cities). Also noticed that they have "Coin collecting lockers," I dont know how much they are but that adds to the monthly fee (~$20/month assuming 50 cents per rental with going 2x per day/5 days per week as I drive back to NorTex for the weekends).
Old 07-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Launching!

I'm ~1-3 miles south of you further down brodie.

My weight room got converted to a baby room about 3 years ago. I'd love to find a place to lift down south that wasn't too expensive. I find it hard to justify Lifetime's price only using it a few times a week like you said.

If you find a place lemme know.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

Honestly, there is no inexpensive gym that I have looked at in the area so its looking like I am going to have to revert to good ole Army PT for awhile.

Anyone know where I can find a FM 21-20?
Old 07-01-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gotta pay first and last months "dues" up front ($69.11 as of this posting) and $30/month (which itself isnt bad, its the $70 up front that hurts the pocket book when your family is living in 2 different cities). Also noticed that they have "Coin collecting lockers," I dont know how much they are but that adds to the monthly fee (~$20/month assuming 50 cents per rental with going 2x per day/5 days per week as I drive back to NorTex for the weekends).[/QUOTE]

I went to that gym for about 2 years (07-09) and used a master lock on a locker everytime. They do have coin lockers also.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

shoot me a pm , I can also improve your strokes if you want man
Old 02-29-2012, 04:47 PM

Liberty Fitness is a good call. It has:

Pool
Cardio
Weights

Does not have a sauna however :-( Been going for a few months now, pay as you go good value. Can be found on DIRECTORS BLVD. They do not have a website would here is a where it is located.