Direct TV or Dish Network?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Direct TV or Dish Network?

Can you guy's express your opinion on which offers you better service/installation and signal?

Do they offer internet service as well?

Pro's and con's??

Comcast in my area sucks!!!

Thanks
Old 07-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Teching In

AT&T Uverse
Old 07-26-2011, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by speed-junkie82
AT&T Uverse
What he said
Old 07-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Can't get Uverse in my area....
Had Comcast one time - it sucked/got rid of it.
Got Direct Tv now - love it (except in heavy rainstorms)
Got no experience with Dish....
Old 07-26-2011, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

I had Direct TV for 10 years uninterrupted. My BIGGEST complaint... in time of emergency (hurricane / bad weather / excess wind) I lost service.

If you get internet from them I think you have to stream that through satellite. Again, if the weather is bad so is your service.

I had Comcast for a 3 days and returned it. VERY shitty picture and menu was very pixel'ated. The service seemed very low budget.

I have had AT&T U-verse 450 for 3 years now and Love it!

I will not consider another service. I can rent movies (SOME new movies are exclusive to pay services for the first week: Netflix etc. but others are same day as DVD)

I get HD service, as well- I can rent HD movies. They have a 3D channel for my 3D TV, Multi-view channels that you can customize (basically a group of stations on one screen you can quickly cycle through and select which one you want to watch or watch all of them) Great for sports.

DVR- service I can record up to 4 shows simultaneously and watch that recording in any room. I can rewind/pause live TV (Only works on the DVR unit NOT the accompanying box's in the other rooms)

Any photos you have in your Yahoo e-mail account is pushed to your TV to view with anyone on any TV. (yahoo photos)

The menu system is intuitive, crisp and clear.

My Con's for AT&T:
If you loose service to one (cable) you loose all services (internet, digital phone, wi-fi etc.)

Anytime the power goes out, you loose ANY recordings/settings in your DVR!
Old 07-26-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

f*ck Dish Network

I got tired of losing signal every time the wind would blow, my dog farted, or I shut a door too hard... I cancelled service with 82 days left on my contract - the lady I cancelled with was very polite - she charged me a early termination fee plus one month and said they were sending a box with a shipping label for me to send my receivers back. I paid everything in full and sent the receivers the day I got the box.

for whatever reason, they turned the cost of the receivers ($560) over to literally every collection agency on the planet. It seems like once a week, I have some harassing phone call stating I need to send the receivers or they're going to hurt my credit - every week I have to fax my receipt (paid in full) and my copy of the shipping receipt to some hick in BFE... and wait 'til next week for the next agency to call

I went with Sudden Link - yeah, they dont have **** but I hardly watch TV anyway... can't beat $24/mo and I dont lose signal when I flush the toilet
Old 07-26-2011, 04:47 PM

Comcast has tried everything in the book to keep me on but as of this week, I'm going to pull the plug. AT&T I don't think is available in my area is why I'm thinking satellite with internet service..
Old 07-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

Have had Dish Network for around 9 years now. 3 HD receivers and 1 non HD and have had 0 trouble with it. Maybe once per year if we get a really shitty storm, it might go out but at times if I am watching a channel in HD, I can flip to a non-HD channel and it will come in. Longest I ever remember it going out due to weather was maybe 30-45 min.

I hate Comcast, will use rabbit ears before I buy their service. I have had Direct for a few years back in the late 90's and at the time, DN and Dish seemed comparable.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Teching In

FVCK Direct TV

That is all
Old 07-26-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

I had Comcast. Dropped it for Uverse when the price got too high.

Uverse has a great DVR, the programming is there...it

just

locked up

too

much for

me to

keep paying them.

The first major problem was when UT lined up for the game-winning kick against Nebraska in the Big 12 Championship. Signal locked up for 15 seconds. Then, we had people over for the Superbowl and I was embarrassed by how often the signal locked. Dropped it like a bad habit.

Internet service was great. In fact, I kept that.

Switched to Dish and never looked back. I've had Dish for about two years now, and I have had a signal loss maybe three times. All three were in HEAVY rain. We only have two TVs, so we have one HD DVR that manages both of them nicely. I might upgrade to a second HD DVR at some point, but we barely use the TV in the living room anyway, so it's not really worth it to us.

I do miss the Uverse DVR features, like recording up to three shows and watching a fourth. But, I like the fact that I can watch major sporting events and not have signal lockups.

I've never had DirecTV, but unless they come out with the same channels I have for a lot less money, I have no need to switch.

-Mike
Old 07-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Pick the one that doesn't bother me everytime I go to Best Buy. I actually quit going to Best Buy because they would always try and talk to me. Always had to have a story ready. I am broke. No credit. No job. Then those stopped working because I always had some blu rays in my hand. Now I just say that I signed up yesterday at another Best Buy and got an amazing deal. That works, they have no where to go from there.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Direct tv is the way too go. Most HD channels n nvr messes up unless very bad thunderstorms.. Had dish n it sucked *****, comcast shitty quality even for hd..
Old 07-27-2011, 08:53 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Been there, had both, and i am currently happier with Dish, it was also combined with my internet and phone, and the over all lat out and control to me is better and seems faster.