Texas A&M to the SEC!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tripps
Please enlighten us on exactly why moving to a different athletic conference will affect research grants. And please don't cite anything from orangebloods.com or any opinions, lay out the FACTS.
"University athletic budgets range up to about $130M per year. University research budgets range up to about 1.6 billion dollars per year.

The Big 10 has 5 of the top 15 annual research budgets in the country. The Pac-12 has 5 of the top 20. These consortiums pounce on public and private research dollars. If we want our public universities to do more research, we would be wise to join them and adopt their ways.

Athletic dollars put a lot of dumb and academically lazy kids into college. Ultimately there is not a huge payoff there.

Research dollars keep smart in-state graduates from leaving the state (the so called "Brain Drain" of Texas) and creates high paying jobs and new industries in Texas.

Texas has been trying to reverse the brain drain by pushing our large universities to achieve "tier one research university" status. The University of Houston recently achieved that status. Tech and several others are trying to get there.

The potential here dovetails with the long term goals of our state.

An academic affiliation with either academic and research consortium will make the nation recognize the underrated academics of universities like UT, A&M and Texas Tech. It will bring money into the state and create jobs.

It is time for us to turn on our self-centered university leaderships and and start looking out for the best interest of the state.

This is bigger than football. This about Texans and our families. It's about the great state of Texas."

Bottom line is SEC is not known for research grants and budgets and that will hurt the state of Texas and Texas A&M.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
I wasn't talking about academics. You are very bad at following along.

I don't hate A&M, my wife went there and I've gone to plenty of games and yell practices while wearing maroon.

I also don't think A&M is a bad academic school, my wife went there and she is much smarter than me (and 99.9%) of the people on this board. But SEC's academic standards are much lower than A&M's, don't forget about "Vision 2020".
You said this will hurt A&M academically, so I ask how it will hurt. You then say you didn't say anything about academics? Good Lord man...
Old 09-22-2011, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

You said this will hurt A&M academically, so I ask how it will hurt. You then say you didn't say anything about academics? Good Lord man...
you gotta be trollin, I wasn't talking about academics with that comment

Old 09-22-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

"University athletic budgets range up to about $130M per year. University research budgets range up to about 1.6 billion dollars per year.

The Big 10 has 5 of the top 15 annual research budgets in the country. The Pac-12 has 5 of the top 20. These consortiums pounce on public and private research dollars. If we want our public universities to do more research, we would be wise to join them and adopt their ways.

Athletic dollars put a lot of dumb and academically lazy kids into college. Ultimately there is not a huge payoff there.

Research dollars keep smart in-state graduates from leaving the state (the so called "Brain Drain" of Texas) and creates high paying jobs and new industries in Texas.

Texas has been trying to reverse the brain drain by pushing our large universities to achieve "tier one research university" status. The University of Houston recently achieved that status. Tech and several others are trying to get there.

The potential here dovetails with the long term goals of our state.

An academic affiliation with either academic and research consortium will make the nation recognize the underrated academics of universities like UT, A&M and Texas Tech. It will bring money into the state and create jobs.

It is time for us to turn on our self-centered university leaderships and and start looking out for the best interest of the state.

This is bigger than football. This about Texans and our families. It's about the great state of Texas."

Bottom line is SEC is not known for research grants and budgets and that will hurt the state of Texas and Texas A&M.
That is purely speculation and there is no proof that that will happen. Just more UT spin on how a member leaving the conference will "hurt the great state of Texas".

Did you ever think about how much money will be poured into Texas from out-of-state visitors from the SEC? Every single SEC team except Vandy actually travels to their games and will fill up hotels, eat at TX restaurants, and probably use it as a chance to visit family members in Texas.

Academically, A&M will not be hurt at all by this. The research dollars will still come down, the grants will still be given. In fact, donors have pledged MORE money to A&M if the SEC officially comes to fruition.

I'm not sure why I'm writing this though, because with burnt-orange glasses on this just becomes more "dumb aggy logic".

A&M is also in Texas's fight song, has their been a push on orangebloods to change the lyrics yet?
Old 09-22-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Yeah we can't be trusted because we look out for ourselves and don't want to give money away.
There is a difference between looking out for yourself (baylor) and being a bad business partner (UT). Please refute any of these:

1) NU leaves Big 12, claiming UT is a bad business partner.
2) UT makes a deal with PAC to head West, with A&M, OU, TT, and OSU in tow. A&M won't go, so UT bails on PAC, leaving the PAC pissed off. UT claims they "saved the Big 12".
3) UT makes promises to A&M about potential LHN, notably that they won't show conference games. UT then signs a deal with ESPN where they promise to get as many conference games as possible on LHN.
4) A&M leaves, claiming UT is a bad business partner.
5) OU threatens to leave, claiming UT is a bad business partner.
6) PAC decides not to expand to include Texas, even though it cost them money, claiming UT is a bad business partner.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

That is purely speculation and there is no proof that that will happen. Just more UT spin on how a member leaving the conference will "hurt the great state of Texas".

Did you ever think about how much money will be poured into Texas from out-of-state visitors from the SEC? Every single SEC team except Vandy actually travels to their games and will fill up hotels, eat at TX restaurants, and probably use it as a chance to visit family members in Texas.

Academically, A&M will not be hurt at all by this. The research dollars will still come down, the grants will still be given. In fact, donors have pledged MORE money to A&M if the SEC officially comes to fruition.

I'm not sure why I'm writing this though, because with burnt-orange glasses on this just becomes more "dumb aggy logic".

A&M is also in Texas's fight song, has their been a push on orangebloods to change the lyrics yet?
First money:

Texas will lose in-state money from when the Aggies play, Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech. And also, the SEC fans coming to the game are no different than other visitors Texas A&M plays going to the games. There aren't magically going to be more seats for visitors, and no out of state person wants to visit College Station.

Second, song lyrics:

UT Fight Song:

"and it's goodbye to A&M" - how accurate. and one line

Aggie War Hymn:

Hullabaloo, Caneck, Caneck

Good bye to texas university
So long to the orange and the white

Good luck to dear old Texas Aggies
They are the boys who show the real old fight
"the eyes of Texas are upon you"
That is the song they sing so well (Sounds like hell!)

So good bye to texas university
We're gonna beat you all to…

Chigaroogarem, Chigaroogarem
Rough, Tough, Real stuff, Texas A&M

Saw varsity's horns off
Saw varsity's horns off
Saw varsity's horns off
Short! A!

Varsity's horns are sawed off
Short! A!

Hot time in Austin:

Late one night, when the teasips were in bed,
Old Sul Ross took a lantern in the shed.
The Aggie kicked it over, he winked and then he said,
“It’ll be a hot time in austin tonight.”
Late one night, when the teasips were in bed
Old 09-22-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is a difference between looking out for yourself (baylor) and being a bad business partner (UT). Please refute any of these:

1) NU leaves Big 12, claiming UT is a bad business partner.
2) UT makes a deal with PAC to head West, with A&M, OU, TT, and OSU in tow. A&M won't go, so UT bails on PAC, leaving the PAC pissed off. UT claims they "saved the Big 12".
3) UT makes promises to A&M about potential LHN, notably that they won't show conference games. UT then signs a deal with ESPN where they promise to get as many conference games as possible on LHN.
4) A&M leaves, claiming UT is a bad business partner.
5) OU threatens to leave, claiming UT is a bad business partner.
6) PAC decides not to expand to include Texas, even though it cost them money, claiming UT is a bad business partner.
that is a hilarious Billy Lucci take on the situation.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

First money:

Texas will lose in-state money from when the Aggies play, Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech. And also, the SEC fans coming to the game are no different than other visitors Texas A&M plays going to the games. There aren't magically going to be more seats for visitors, and no out of state person wants to visit College Station.

Second, song lyrics:

UT Fight Song:

"and it's goodbye to A&M" - how accurate. and one line

Aggie War Hymn:

Good bye to texas university
So long to the orange and the white

Good luck to dear old Texas Aggies
They are the boys who show the real old fight
"the eyes of Texas are upon you"
That is the song they sing so well (Sounds like hell!)

So good bye to texas university
We're gonna beat you all to…

Chigaroogarem, Chigaroogarem
Rough, Tough, Real stuff, Texas A&M

Saw varsity's horns off
Saw varsity's horns off
Saw varsity's horns off
Short! A!

Short! A!

Hot time in Austin:

Late one night, when the teasips were in bed,
Late one night, when the teasips were in bed
Wrong. People travel to see their teams play. You think College Station is any different from Starkville, Auburn, Fayetteville, Oxford, Gainesville, or Tuscaloosa? It's not. The money lost by A&M not visiting those 3 schools will be made up by 5 SEC teams fans visiting Texas. I really hope that the Perryman Report is not your source for the negative economic impact (if any) in all of this.

Second, fight song. A&M's fight song actually has a first verse that mentions nothing about Texas.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

that is a hilarious Billy Lucci take on the situation.
Except that is was reported by various news outlets. See the last link I posted regarding PAC-12 deal-killer.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Except that is was reported by various news outlets. See the last link I posted regarding PAC-12 deal-killer.
Texas runs the Big 12, Texas never wanted to go to the PAC 12.

Texas makes a lot of money and doesn't have to compromise with anybody. Your understanding of the LHN and the deal is just sad.

If by "bad business partner" you mean Texas not compromising because they bring the most to the table and know they don't have to, well then I just feel sorry that you don't understand how running a business works.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

Texas runs the Big 12, Texas never wanted to go to the PAC 12.

Texas makes a lot of money and doesn't have to compromise with anybody. Your understanding of the LHN and the deal is just sad.

If by "bad business partner" you mean Texas not compromising because they bring the most to the table and know they don't have to, well then I just feel sorry that you don't understand how running a business works.
Holy ****, is your name Geoff Ketchum? You actually believe that fat sack of ****?

I understand everything about the LHN. Texas isn't willing to waver at all on it, and this is fine. But don't go to an elite conference and expect to strike up a business deal with an attitude like that.

Last edited by tripps; 09-22-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Holy ****, is your name Geoff Ketchum? You actually believe that fat sack of ****?

I understand everything about the LHN. Texas isn't willing to waver at all on it, and this is fine. But don't go to an elite conference and expect to strike up a business deal with an attitude like that.
Last power rankings show that Big 12 is an elite conference. Just overtook the SEC.

Texas doesn't need to strike a business deal, conferences need to strike deals with Texas (not that the Big 12 is going anywhere). If you think otherwise, you are Aggy brainwashed, the Texas legislature is even aware of this and has been telling Power and Dodds to stop being so arrogant (even though there is no reason they shouldn't be).

Last edited by 2 SLOW; 09-22-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Last power rankings show that Big 12 is an elite conference. Just overtook the SEC.

Texas doesn't need to strike a business deal, conferences need to strike deals with Texas (not that the Big 12 is going anywhere). If you think otherwise, you are Aggy brainwashed, the Texas legislature is even aware of this and has been telling Power and Dodds to stop being so arrogant (even though there is no reason they shouldn't be).
I never said Texas wasn't a power-player in the conference realignment, I just pointed out why the PAC-12 deal failed and the factors to the deals demise.

Power rankings...that was solely looking at the number of ranked teams in the respective conferences, but there is this one tiny flaw..SEC has started conference play and their ranked teams have played each other, resulting in a couple of losses for them already. Once the Big 12 starts conference play certain teams will fall out of the rankings (baylor) after racking up some losses. You must be trolling, there is no way you are this naive.

Baylor is at #19, you really think they would have any chance against Arkansas or Miss State? In 2 weeks time, the SEC will be back on top of that "power ranking".
Old 09-22-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I never said Texas wasn't a power-player in the conference realignment, I just pointed out why the PAC-12 deal failed and the factors to the deals demise.

Power rankings...that was solely looking at the number of ranked teams in the respective conferences, but there is this one tiny flaw..SEC has started conference play and their ranked teams have played each other, resulting in a couple of losses for them already. Once the Big 12 starts conference play certain teams will fall out of the rankings (baylor) after racking up some losses. You must be trolling, there is no way you are this naive.

Baylor is at #19, you really think they would have any chance against Arkansas or Miss State? In 2 weeks time, the SEC will be back on top of that "power ranking".
I like Baylor's chances against both those teams. They showed they have heart and don't fold when they get punched in the mouth (unlike A&M in the past seasons)

"The Big 12 is on top of the Week 3 Conference Power Rankings after big wins by Oklahoma and Texas over non-conference foes this past weekend. Overall, the Big 12 is 23-2 in games outside of the conference (SEC is 22-4) and have five teams ranked in the AP Top 25 (tied with SEC for most teams ranked in the poll). Big wins over Florida State, TCU, Arizona and UCLA in the first three weeks have vaulted the Big 12 over the SEC as the top conference in the country. "

SEC has more OOC loses also.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

I like Baylor's chances against both those teams. They showed they have heart and don't fold when they get punched in the mouth (unlike A&M in the past seasons)

"The Big 12 is on top of the Week 3 Conference Power Rankings after big wins by Oklahoma and Texas over non-conference foes this past weekend. Overall, the Big 12 is 23-2 in games outside of the conference (SEC is 22-4) and have five teams ranked in the AP Top 25 (tied with SEC for most teams ranked in the poll). Big wins over Florida State, TCU, Arizona and UCLA in the first three weeks have vaulted the Big 12 over the SEC as the top conference in the country. "

SEC has more OOC loses also.
UCLA is not a big win, they are horrible. TCU lost just about their entire team and still almost beat baylor on the road. The SEC has already played 5 conference games while the Big 12 has played 0. Once conference games actually start then we can determine the true power rankings.

Baylor not folding under pressure??? They gave up 25 points IN THE 4TH QUARTER to TCU. Once they face a team that actually has a defense it will be a long day for little ole baylor.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Here's an interesting question, will Texas actually beat baylor this year?
Old 09-22-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

UCLA is not a big win, they are horrible. TCU lost just about their entire team and still almost beat baylor on the road. The SEC has already played 5 conference games while the Big 12 has played 0. Once conference games actually start then we can determine the true power rankings.

Baylor not folding under pressure??? They gave up 25 points IN THE 4TH QUARTER to TCU. Once they face a team that actually has a defense it will be a long day for little ole baylor.

Well A&M better be scared, no defense and RGIII is da truth

A&M is 5-10 in the BIG 12 against UT, OU and TT. How the hell are they going to survive in the SEC since the SEC is so big and bad????
Old 09-22-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's an interesting question, will Texas actually beat baylor this year?
The only games I'm worried about is OU & OSU. We are going to be rolling people late in the season.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Well A&M better be scared, no defense and RGIII is da truth

A&M is 5-10 in the BIG 12 against UT, OU and TT. How the hell are they going to survive in the SEC since the SEC is so big and bad????
Fran was the worst hire ever and drove A&M's football program into the ground. No one is denying that A&M was horrible from 2003-2008. Under Sherman since 2009 A&M is 4-2 against those 3 teams. Ever think that college football is cyclical and after teams have a bad string of years that usually there is an upswing? Coaching changes/scheme changes will do that.

The only teams scared of baylor are non-conference teams. ****, I bet them and Texas both lose to Iowa State this year.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fran was the worst hire ever and drove A&M's football program into the ground. No one is denying that A&M was horrible from 2003-2008. Under Sherman since 2009 A&M is 4-2 against those 3 teams. Ever think that college football is cyclical and after teams have a bad string of years that usually there is an upswing? Coaching changes/scheme changes will do that.

The only teams scared of baylor are non-conference teams. ****, I bet them and Texas both lose to Iowa State this year.
You bet what that Texas loses to Iowa State? I have a feeling we'd get along well in person.

Quick Reply: Texas A&M to the SEC!!