Old roomates owe me money. Advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 11:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Old roomates owe me money. Advice please.

I moved out of my old house months ago and I stupidly left my name under the electricity. I left my name under the electricity because my roommates couldn't cover the new deposit. I didn't want to cut the power on them and screw them over. So they promised me that they will pay for the electricity.

So last week I get a call from the utility company tell me that I owe them 750 bucks. WTF! My pos, old roommates skipped on 2 months of bills. I told them I moved out and foolishly kept my name under the utilities to help them out. They recommenced to kill the power right away. I told them go ahead. They said it would take 48 hours to kill the power. The utility company was cool about the situation and told me that they would work with me.

So before they killed the electricity, I went to my old house to talk to my old roommates. I told them straight up that I'm going to get my money. As spectated, they blamed each other and gave excuses. I gave them a date that they would have to pay by and they agreed.

I'm only asking for $675 back because my deposit will cover the rest of the $750. Yes, I know I should have just given them my deposit to begin with, but I thought they could help build my credit.

Roommate 1, who I still friends with, just moved out of the house and is going to pay me his share of 300 bucks. No hard feelings. I trust him and he's a stand up guy.

Roommate 2, who is a passive lair, said that hes going to pay on the 14th. He is avoiding me as I thought he would. He only owes me 75 bucks.

Roommate 3 is a drug dealing scum bag. I moved out because of his drug dealing. He owes me 300 bucks and is refusing to pay. I heard through the grapevine he said that hes planning to **** me over.

My due date is long and gone. I knew they were going to flake like pussies. So I'm out 375 bucks. I'm in school and I don't have that laying around. It's not a huge sum of money but it pisses me off when two people think they can steal from me in front of my face.

I'm thinking of just letting the whole thing go and take the loss. I'm tired of the stress and the time lost because of my decision to help a neighbor. Its ultimately my responsibility to pay the balance. I'm a positive thinker so this has been a moderately expensive learning experience. I knew in my gut not to trust those scum bags with my credit. I will never ever trust anyone with my money or credit again. Lesson learned.

However, I am not a punk bitch and I was disrespected to my face. Now my credit is damaged and I look less trustworthy to lenders. Those ******* stole from me and thought they would get away with it. I really want to get my money back just to show them that I am a stronger man than they are.

This is my last plan.

I am still in great terms with my old landlord. The landlord is a middle aged women and she wanted sex from me bad lol. I think she'll do anything for me lol. I'll tell her the situation and see if shes wants to mediate. I'll go with her to the house at the beginning of the month when she collects rent to see about the money they owe me. I'll go till they pay me or move out. If she doesn't want to be involved, then I'll scratch that idea.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I type a lot when pissed off.

Should I just forget about it and pay the utility company out my pocket? Or should I still fight for my stolen money? Advice/opinions please.

Don't suggest ******* up their cars or something. I'm not a douchebag.

Last edited by texas94z; 10-18-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pay out of pocket and be done with it. What ever money you are able to get back great. Move on and let it be a lesson learned.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

curious on names lol
Old 10-19-2011, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not offer to have sex with your landlord for a nominal fee of 375?
Old 10-19-2011, 12:15 AM
TECH Resident

but I thought they could help build my credit.
First mistake right there. Don't rely on others to build YOUR CREDIT!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pay it, delete them from your facebook as friends and move on. Any time they see you, ask where your money is, whether it is tomorrow or 5 years from now. Make sure they don't forget they owe you money. BUT don't do anything rash.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:21 AM
11 Second Club

I doubt your credit is ruined. Have you checked? Utlitiy companies have to turn you into the credit agency for it to affect your rating.

Not much you can do unless you wanna drag it on, chalk it up as a learning experience and move on.

Serioiusly though WTF were you thinking by leaving it in your name? If they can't cover a 75 dollar deposit why would you think they would pay the bill?
Old 10-19-2011, 08:19 AM
11 Second Club

At times I would have paid more than the $375 for certain people to stay out of my life. Consider it money well spent and move on.

Mec
Old 10-19-2011, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

On one hand, I want to say "get your money back or do equal damage back to them", but on the other hand you walked in to this one by keeping the electricity on for a group of drug-dealing pathological liars.

Perhaps you can work out something with the landlord to where she keeps the entire deposit for the house even if the house is perfect, and gives you some of that money.

The day you stop worrying about other peoples problems and trying to help them out in terms of money, the day you will be a lot happier and stress-free.

Good luck and I hope you get your money back, but I seriously doubt that you will.

EDIT: You said that this guy deals drugs, does he do it from the house? There might be an extremely easy way to get back at these guys that will ultimately cost him a lot more money than what he owes....
Old 10-19-2011, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SLV_WS6
Pay out of pocket and be done with it. What ever money you are able to get back great. Move on and let it be a lesson learned.
THIS FTW!

Originally Posted by Greaseymec
At times I would have paid more than the $375 for certain people to stay out of my life. Consider it money well spent and move on.

Mec
You seem level headed and you fully understand your situation... you said it yourself "I'm thinking of just letting the whole thing go and take the loss. I'm tired of the stress and the time lost because of my decision to help a neighbor. Its ultimately my responsibility to pay the balance."

Bro. It sucks to be in your shoes. I have been there and so has a good majority of adults who, at one time, had roommates. This type of situation always happens. They are life lessons. Chalk it up as that and move on, your growing in maturity (as seen in your statements).

But always remember this:
WHILE your still young and NOT married.("Girlfriends" don't count- your free to make your own decisions until your engaged) NEVER pass up good *****, especially if it is handed to you on a silver platter from an older woman. Sounds like she has a few years on you, she might show you a thing or two, might even make your toes curl.

I'd pound it and let her be my sugar momma. What male doesn't like being treated like a ****????

Just as long as she keeps kicking you out of her apartment as soon as she done with you- you'll be just fine.

Trust me. I know these things.

Last edited by Blackfly; 10-19-2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: toes... not tows
Old 10-19-2011, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

pics of said landlord? this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wa2v8707Kw
Old 10-19-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

Anxiously awaiting for the "less sensible" crowd to come in here and make this thread interesting.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

Just go hire a "collector".
Old 10-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99 bad ***
Just go hire a "collector".

^^^^^^ Thats what needs to happen and a good collector will make sure the lesson gets learned. This can be done the right way also so nobody gets into legal trouble.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pics of landlord lady
Old 10-19-2011, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

I second the landlord pics.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Move on- doubt landlord will chance losing a renter for $300- I wouldn't.

Lesson learned- unfortunately most of us have been in your shoes at one time or another.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

If you do get any money out of your dead beat friends you really need to spend it on English and grammar classes, jeezus that was horrible to read.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blackfly
THIS FTW!

You seem level headed and you fully understand your situation... you said it your self "I'm thinking of just letting the whole thing go and take the loss. I'm tired of the stress and the time lost because of my decision to help a neighbor. Its ultimately my responsibility to pay the balance."

Bro. It sucks to be in your shoes. I have been there and so has a good majority of adults who, at one time, had roomates. This type of situation always happens. They are life lessons. Chalk it up as that and move on, your growing in maturity (as seen in your statements).

But always remember this:
WHILE your still young and NOT married.("Girlfriends" don't count- your free to make your own decisions until your engaged) NEVER pass up good *****, especially if it is handed to you on a silver platter from an older woman. Sounds like she has a few years on you, she might show you a thing or two, might even make your tows curl.

I'd pound it and let her be my sugar momma. What male doesn't like being treated like a ****????

Just as long as she keeps kicking you out of her apartment as soon as she done with you- you'll be just fine.

Trust me. I know these things.
We need to talk about your "know these things"..... sounds interesting!

New thread may be needed....
Old 10-19-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bang the **** outta your landlord!!!